Download

BlenderTek Inventory Tutorial Series Meets UE4 Newbie: Hjinks All Round

Hi,

I’m very new to UE4 and I’m not much of a coder but I’m enjoying learning. I’ve recently started following what seems to be a very good YouTube tutorial series by BlenderTek on building an inventory and crafting system using Blueprints.

I’ve run into a small but show-stopping problem that I’m wondering if anyone could offer any advice on.

Here’s the problem. At around 35 minutes into episode 7, a text block in a UI widget is bound to a function called GetRecipeName. The function created populates the text box with text taken from an array. The exact text displayed depends on which button you click elsewhere. Up until this point, everything I have done, including all of the previous episodes, has worked perfectly but, when I bind this particular function, create it, compile and save, and then test it, no text appears whatever button I click. If I unbind the text block and test it, the placeholder copy is displayed. I have watched this video over and over again (for hours), trying to find a substantive difference that might account for my getting stuck. I’ve deleted the function and recreated it but I cannot get it to work. I’m running UE4.10.4.

Anyway, it’s driving me even more bonkers and I was wondering if anyone here has done the same tutorial or something similar. If so, I would love to hear any suggestions, even if it’s, “You need to get out more.”

Thanks for reading.