Download

Blender 2 UE4: Is my pipeline broken?

Hello community

I have been modelling in Blender for a year or so and would really like to see some of my assets come to life! Recently I created a log cabin inside Blender, that I wanted to import to Unreal Engine 4.17.1

The issue I’m faced with is that I created a lot of separate objects (floors, walls, logs etc.) which all have their own UV- and lightmaps. Now, when I export from Blender I tried selecting all objects at once and exporting to one file. This imports fine into UE4, and I can even make it a combined mesh. The problem with the latter is that my UVs get screwed (overlapping).

If I don’t import the cabin as one mesh I have to manually align all the assets, and since the world origin in Blender (0,0,0) is used to generate the pivot for UE4, I end up having assets (i.e. windows) which are placed far from the center, inheriting a pivot ponit no way near that mesh. I know I can move the pivot temporarily in UE4, but I can’t help thinking there must be a more smooth route to this?

I’m starting to think that I need to take a more modular approach as to making my models? What am I missing here guys?

Any help I can get is greatly appreciated! Thanks