Download

Best way to understand/learn C++?

I’ve always been interested in programming, especially C++, my only problem is, I don’t know where to start. There’s so many books, and online tutorials out there, that I can’t find what I need. What I’m looking for specifically is a book, or any kind of tutorial that shows me the absolute basics of C++, like explaining the language itself, and how each command works in detail.

Is there anything I can use to teach myself C++ from?

Hello!

I would recommend doing some simple introductory internet course first and then moving on directly to making something very simple happen in UE4.
One of the better elementary tutorials I would say is C++ Language - C++ Tutorials

The best place to start after that is by reading the documentation for UE4 at: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/
and then creating one of the game templates, reading the code there and try to do some simple modifications. Perhaps changing how fast you run etc.

The hardest part about getting better at programming is making sure that you are improving at the type of programming you want to do.
Basics are of course very important, especially in C++, and the best way to learn the absolute basics is by writing simple console applications to learn fundamental syntax, using your IDE and even slightly more advanced skills like memory management practices and data structure usage etc.
But after those first steps, the best way to learn is by doing. And if you are to learn by doing, you might as well do it in the environment you want the skills for, with the associated libraries.

I see far too many new programmers aiming to learn C++ for programming games practicing with user32 programming, some STL course material or Qt and the like, and not only is it not as fun and motivating, but you will also not be able to use the library specific skills when you start looking at your domain.

Best regards,
Temaran

I agree with Temaran: Learning the basics is a good idea, but get started doing what you want with it as soon as possible.
Of course, it’s always good to understand the theory and background behind the stuff you’re doing. But it’s hard to keep yourself motivated doing console applications when what you really want to do is learning how to create games with UE4. If you hit a road bump, you can always read up about the theory when you need it. This has the advantage of keeping you motivated and combining theory with practice is the best way to learn. :slight_smile:

Coincidentally, I stumbled over a relatively new book on learning C++ programming with the Unreal Engine 4. I don’t know if it’s any good, but it covers the language basics for absolute beginners before diving into the UE4. As the description says though, you won’t learn general C++. This is tailored especially for learning C++ in the UE4 (which might be exactly what you want, anyway).