Download

Best ideas for online shooter for having sounds for empty shells impacts

Hello guys!

I’ve been struggling with this for a long time with our game. 100 player online shooter.
We are currenlty using mesh particles for shell ejections, but without any impact audio for the shells.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to solve the issue for having impact sounds in physmats for shells when they collide with something?
I’ve been told by our programmers that it would be performance heavy, but there are a number of games out there that has sounds synced to impacts of empty shells hitting different materials. Like BF2, Red Orchestra games etc.

So another idea would be to “fake” the impact sounds and set some random delay with traces of the surface they hit. But that seems just lame.

What I would want to do is having the ability to get these particles meshes to interact with physmats and then create sounds depending on what type of shell is colliding. Only have 1 sound per collision.

Have any of you succeeded with this? Important thing is that it has to be physmat dependent.

Thx in advance!

What about not using a particle and instead spawning a simple bullet mesh blueprint with some impulse that gets the physical material when the mesh hits a surface and plays the correct impact sound? After impact, it could have a death timer and then take care of itself.

Thx dude. But we don’t want to use too much BPs cause of performance sake since this is a large online game with many things going on at the same time.
We found out that particles now can spawn events, but it’s gonna be in C++ and have to implement this into every weapon then edit our physmats and select what type of caliber and corresponding sound to it.
Lucky I get hold of our programmers now and then. :slight_smile:

Cool. I just wonder if you could do something like spawn mesh blueprints locally, replicate the sound, and have other players spawn particles.