Download

Beginner, 2nd day, 2 basic questions

I can’t help asking ahead of discovery in the docs, but I’d appreciate any tips…

1st question: How can I work in the editor so when I scale an object, the material doesn’t stretch but maintains a defined scale? That would be great if it could be set automatically when editing object dimensions. Is there a shortcut modifier key when scaling that keeps any object’s texture from stretching?

2nd question: Can I stay in perspective view and still accurately move whatever object I like in any direction with keyboard shortcuts?

How is everyone else doing it? I’ve tried using ALT+arrows keys to move selected objects, but oddly it doesn’t work half the time. (Edit - there is apparently no keyboard shortcut for moving an actor along the Z axis, but it can be done with combo keyboard and mouse: CTRL + LMB + RMB + drag).

The transform gizmo seams to be placed at the Actor’s pivot point.
There may be a different key binding for moving the Actor with the keyboard.

HTH

#1, Good place to start:
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/139472/how-can-i-prevent-texture-stretching-while-scaling.html

After much looking, I could not find a keyboard shortcut for moving actors along the z axis - which is what my second question boils down to.

I did find the mouse and keyboard way however: Ctrl + LMB + RMB + Drag.

This will have to do. It would be nice to have dedicated keyboard shortcuts for moving actors on all 3 axes though.

ALT + left/right moves actor along the X axis.
ALT + up/down moves actor along the Y axis.
[missing keyboard shortcut] moves actor along the Z axis.

“1st question: How can I work in the editor so when I scale an object, the material doesn’t stretch but maintains a defined scale? That would be great if it could be set automatically when editing object dimensions. Is there a shortcut modifier key when scaling that keeps any object’s texture from stretching?”

I guess you want supergrid-like scaling. That means a “WorldAlignedTexture” node in the material editor