Begin Overlap events no longer fire sometimes

In 4.24 it appears that component Begin Overlap events no longer fire properly.

Here’s one issue I found.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1695917-unreal-engine-4-24-released?p=1702715#post1702715

The events don’t fire if objects start overlapping initially when the level starts. There’s a check for if beginPlay was called on the world yet, but this gets set to true only after it’s called for all actors but the overlaps begin during BeginPlay but before this boolean gets set. There’s nothing that triggers them to be called after beginPlay is done, and as a result they just never fire. EndOverlap events do get called. This results in some inconsistent states in the games since EndOverlap may fire without a corresponding BeginOverlap. I currently work around this by firing a timer event on next game tick to find all overlapping actors.

// TODO: Right now as of UE 4.24 Overlapping objects on level startup no longer generate overlap events
// Temporary workaround for now
if (World && !World->HasBegunPlay())
{
    World->GetTimerManager().SetTimerForNextTick(FindOverlappingActors);
}
else 
{
    FindOverlappingActors();
}

There is another issue with spawning a new Primitive component. The overlaps don’t get generated at all once a new component is spawned. The overlaps are only found between two components once one of them updates the transform, causing it to move and recalculate all overlaps. The spawning component should do this check after spawning. I think this used to work before 4.24 but I can’t say for sure.

Hello,

We’ve recently made a switch to a new bug reporting method using a more structured form. Please visit the link below for more details and report the issue using the new Bug Submission Form. Feel free to continue to use this thread for community discussion around the issue.

https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Thanks

I have the same issue, breaks some aspects of my game which rely on knowing the player is within a volume when loading a saved game.
Have you reported this as a bug?

I have submitted this as a bug anyway, because it prevents my game working properly. I’ve had to rollback to 4.23 for now (which I only moved on from because of a breaking bug in 2.23 in the first place…). Rolling major versions, without taking the time to address bugs in minor versions is proving to be a nightmare with UE4 at the moment.