Bad (legal) news for VR developers ?

Excerpt from ToS from Oculus/Facebook:

*“By submitting User Content through the Services, you grant Oculus a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual (i.e. lasting forever), non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free and fully sublicensable (i.e. we can grant this right to others) right to use, copy, display, store, adapt, publicly perform and distribute such User Content in connection with the Services. You irrevocably consent to any and all acts or omissions by us or persons authorized by us that may infringe any moral right (or analogous right) in your User Content.

The last sentence is really worrisome :confused:

This is what constitutes moral rights Moral rights - Wikipedia

It’s outright horrible. What’s your take on it ?

I am guessing it’s for end-users, not for developers. Still, the wording is ouch :confused:

Yes its a user thing and the dimension you quote has gained press attention, along with other privacy/advertising aspects.

For example:

Some of the issues have a marked similarity to what Microsoft stirred up back when their Xbox One plans for the Kinect 2 were far-reaching and didn’t sound optional.

Apparently this is the full text of the paragraph in question:

"Our Services may include interactive features and areas where you may submit, post, upload, publish, email, send or otherwise transmit content, including, but not limited to, text, images, photos, videos, sounds, virtual reality environments or features, software and other information and materials (collectively, “User Content”). Unless otherwise agreed to, we do not claim any ownership rights in or to your User Content. By submitting User Content through the Services, you grant Oculus a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual (i.e. lasting forever), non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free and fully sublicensable (i.e. we can grant this right to others) right to use, copy, display, store, adapt, publicly perform and distribute such User Content in connection with the Services. You irrevocably consent to any and all acts or omissions by us or persons authorized by us that may infringe any moral right (or analogous right) in your User Content. "

Software released on Oculus platform is raked under User Content :confused:

Yes their definition of User Content is very broad and includes software. But so long as there is a separate agreement that developers enter into when actually uploading apps they want to sell or give away via oculus’s store, I think that would override the vague stuff written in the agreement you are quoting from.

For me the main issue for developers right now is whether they want to be part of an ecosystem that may go far in the direction hinted at in future. Or for that matter whether the fears about it cause repetitional damage that either stops Oculus going far in that direction, or reduces the ultimate size of their userbase. Way too early to tell, but at a minimum it reawakens the groans that some had when Facebook bought it in the first place.

Well, how do you know which agreement supersedes which? If there is no clear statement about it, you’ll only find out after some court case :confused:

I am not overly concerned with privacy, since we are all being watched nowadays. I am more concerned about making my product and then losing it due to said agreement.

When faced with a lack of confidence about the exact legal realities, I would look at it from another angle instead.

If they screwed with developers in the way you suggest, what do you think would happen? Developers will hate them and run away from their platform and it will be all doom and gloom. I think it’s reasonable to expect they aren’t planning to do that.