Project

Just some new screens of this project. I’ve been working only with interaction mechanics so far, today I played a little bit with lights and post processing to see what I can do about the visuals…

19be3f4718404db02651b8944f1dd484d773f863.jpeg

670b6d634c6d060cb59bb686c6b930649bff6839.jpeg

And this is from another project:

ce6762b9514a66d7f0e66adb3e4b76f62d40a7fd.jpeg

Looks really nice so far but the Grass is killing the realism. You might want to download my ‘Texture Pack Edition 1’ on the marketplace, i have some really nice Grass Textures in there that would look nice with this scene.

Click the link in my Signature to check out the Pack if you like.

Wow!! These screenshots look fantastic! Great work ! I am really liking the foliage placement around the house. Keep up the great work!

Awesome results! The only thing that is not quite there is the tall grass, it has a very cartoonish look, seems that this is a very common problem with ue4.
Might look good with some sort of a cel shader for a stylized npr look though.

One more thing to improve - the wood floor plank texture in the interior has very large grain, I’d scale it at least 2 times smaller.

Hey **** Congratulations :)… This is amazing man; Both Indoor & Outdoor

Focusing on the window frame in the fourth image (indoor); I think the brick wall needs more thickness (9 inches at least)… otherwise it may fall down…:wink:

Concerning with the outdoor shots; These are the most realistic ones I had ever seen for an outdoor scene achieved using UE4… really so nice…

May I ask if you don’t mind sharing the lighting system used for outdoor ones…? I Really like them all

Best wishes & keep on

Thanks for all the support, guys!

About the suggestions/questions:

CharlestonS: I agree. I don’t like plain textures for the grass, they are always going to kill the realism except for some special situations (very far from camera, right angle, etc…). I think using geometry for grass is always the best option for realism, even for the short grass. That’s what I’m trying to use now. But thanks for the suggestion, I’ll take a look at your libraries! :smiley:

viscorbel: Totally agree with you about the cartoonish look of the grass… UE4 doesn’t have special shaders for vegetation, so we need to play a little with the tools. That tall grass is an asset I was playing with to study grass creation, it doesn’t have good textures for diffuse and normal, that is the reason for the plain look. I’m working on it though. I’ll try the scale suggestion on that floor. Thanks :wink:

cadviz: That wall is around 8 inches. The strange thin sensation on that image is because of the window frame, it’s thin and it’s hiding the outside edges of the wall. It’s strange, I agree haha:p. The lighting settings are simple, just a lightsource and a skylight. For the post processing, I’m using a custom LUT I’ve made in Photoshop as instructed here: Color Grading and Filmic Tonemapper | Unreal Engine Documentation

I’m attaching some parameters, hope it helps :slight_smile:

sun light:
808207ecb7e65bb9d2fc713d5e96fd917f9d1adb.jpeg

skylight:
646d7526754af70476959cf55176bc9af6857289.jpeg

lightmass:
54798675782c8746e4f43638aea7eaaf7f6154be.jpeg

Here are some images of the new grass I’m working on right now:

1ba628d18fd9c39d830a46172686dc0fc59f1f18.jpeg

62a287f252784fe2a592ad66f4b5b8e5e53c5c41.jpeg

4dd74547f9757f06bf649baf9b6fc2313157c666.jpeg

Man that looks really, really nice :slight_smile:

Thanks for your time & sharing your lighting settings…

Before I try them; I have 2 questions through what I see in your posted images…

1. In the outdoor images there were some clouds in the (background) sky… does this has any relation with the **skylight **you used…!!? OR it was a mesh (textured sphere)…?
  2. Did you use the same settings for the indoor production images?

The new Grass pushed your production for more awesome reality :slight_smile:
BTW; I found a cool thread talking about creating grass… in case you hadn’t see it before
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?3268-Nature-Environment-in-UE4&highlight=ulrich

keep on :slight_smile:
My best wishes

Great work. If only someone can use this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVa0NOFdwM It would be perfect!

cadviz: 1) Those clouds are generated by the Sky_Sphere. This comes with any template you select when creating a new project. Just play with the “Cloud Opacity” parameter there and you’ll be able to get some nice results. 2)Yes, it’s everything the same for indoor and outdoor. I’ve set the lightmass parameters in order to get nice and smooth results indoor. For outdoor that is overkill, you can reduce the quality if you are going to have only outdoor material without visual losses.

PLASTICA-MAN: I’ve just seen this right before your post. NVIDIA is doing great things with their GameWorks, first VXGI and now this grass technology. I hope they make those stuff available for a good price…

New grass, trees, lightning and colors for the first project. It’s a 5x res screenshot with no anti aliasing filter.

For the grass, unfortunately, foliage system doesn’t support static shadows and dynamic shadow costs almost 20fps for that lawn. So I’m using all the instances without any kind of shadow (some work on the material to simulate some shadow on the bottom part of the grass). Then, I turn “cast inset shadow” on for the objects that will cast shadow over the grass. It works and costs little, but then I get some strange and totally dark shadows on some regions like on the side of the left wall.

Another option is to paint some special instances of the grass over the areas that will receive shadow and activate dynamic shadows only for them, but it demands working on different materials for the no-shadow instances in order to match the visuals of the dynamic ones.

faf0c325bddd32c3b5e075037f34d1d992b03c90.jpeg

11e8597b6b569620b4e01ac63ab614a111300207.jpeg

That grass looks amazing! Is it a painted mesh ‘foliage’ layer or a material?

Thanks!
It’s painted mesh. I’ve tried plain textures and the “carpet” technique in order to get the visuals I wanted, with minor performance cost. But I wasn’t able to get convincing results… Those meshes costs about 10 or 20 fps, but the scene still keeps more than 50fps, so I think it’s an acceptable cost.

The new grass is great improvment over the last one, I still do think it’s one of the strongest giveaways in an otherwise stunning viz, but it already looks stunning. Keep it up, mate!

Pikkukatit, I’ll never get tired of trying to improve it! :smiley:

I’m trying to create a sunrise lightning now. Here is my first try:

ab1f2983647c86a05399a6a43ff47b7fb7917f8a.jpeg

And some improvements on the other one:

a818f007c379baa26cb77d902b03ed1f3ffe6bad.jpeg

And I shall not stop following that improvement!! :cool:
Keep on keeping on… :slight_smile:
I have one comment (if you don’t mind) about the (windows glass material)… In the last image (the sunrise one) I agree to make it transparent, because the indoor lights are stronger than outside one…
But (at day time) when the sun comes up, the window glass would be reflective more than transparent (concerning with your camera position); so it acts like a mirror… for that I suggest to change that material for the daylight images… :slight_smile:

My Best wishes

another update, sunrise for the second project.

3c22acaacf45ba5cf14ce77ba4f481b62ac479df.jpeg

Very nice… Congratulation :slight_smile:
Are you intent on more improvement !!? I think this is fairly enough to say about UE4 realism :slight_smile:

Thanks =)

I think it’s already nice for the original purpose of those levels (part of an interactive project for master’s degree in computer engineering). But it’s so fun to spend some time trying to improve visuals… I’ll keep trying to improve it…