Anyone managed to generate an Installed Build of 4.18.2 without manual intervention? [VS2017]

Hi all,
I have been trying for some days now to build an Installed Build of (a modified) 4.18.2 for Win64 with VS2017, but for one reason or the other it kept failing. Here is the command I have been using:

RunUAT.bat BuildGraph -target="Make Installed Build Win64" -script="./Engine/Build/InstalledEngineBuild.xml" -set:HostPlatformOnly=true -clean

The script failed the first time because it couldn’t find this folder:
ERROR: Unable to change current directory to D:\Source\Repos\Unreal_latest\UnrealEngine\LocalBuilds\Engine\Windows

So I created it manually. Then it failed a second time because it couldn’t find this other folder:
ERROR: Unable to change current directory to D:\Source\Repos\Unreal_latest\UnrealEngine\LocalBuilds\InstalledDDC\Engine\Binaries\Win64

So I went on and created it manually as well. But then it failed the a third time with a different error:
ERROR: BUILD FAILED: Couldn’t find the executable to run: D:\Source\Repos\Unreal_latest\UnrealEngine\LocalBuilds\InstalledDDC\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-Cmd.exe

The mentioned folder is indeed empty and that exe is in fact in a different folder altogether, namely in:
D:\Source\Repos\Unreal_latest\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64

Finally I disabled DDC using an additional switch (and also added one to not sign the executables as I read it may be needed as well):

RunUAT.bat BuildGraph -target="Make Installed Build Win64" -script="./Engine/Build/InstalledEngineBuild.xml" -set:HostPlatformOnly=true -set:*WithDDC*=false -set:SignExecutables=false -clean

And that finally produced a full Installed Build as expected, but after a lot of sweat and coffees!

My questions:

• Shouldn’t everything be automatic? Or have I been doing something wrong here?
  • Any disadvantage for having excluded DDC?
1 Like

Thank you for this helpful post.