Download

Any advice for some who wants to get into the gaming industry ?

First of all, sorry if my post is somewhat in the wrong section, I didn’t know where to post this kind of reflections (?).

Hi everyone,

I started using UE4 a few months ago in the spirit of building a game sometime in the future. Although, my plan was not that great and now I feel stuck in between two chairs. So I started this journey with little to no knowledge in developping games (I build a website a few years back so I still sort of remember the basics of coding a website, so even though it’s different it still shares some similarities in the way you need to think). Anyways, I didn’t want to launch myself into a real project without experience or knowledge so I read a bunch of internet tutorials, watched videos, etc and ended up being able to do quite a few things with blueprint scripting. When I thought I had the basic knowledge I tried to go do basic 3D modelling but it didn’t turn well and I was quite bummed and just left it on the side for a while.

Now I got back to UE4 yesterday and did a bit of blueprint-ing to get back to it but I’m getting to a roadblock again, I thought animations were made in UE4 so now it looks like I’ll have to go back on 3D modelling and face my “fears”.

I am building material with the goal of making an RPG someday. Up to now I have a pretty decent GDD, so I’m far from clueless on what I want to do. Either way, I tried to do a bunch of useful turorials in that spirit, but now that I have done a bunch and created alternate projects based on these tutorials I feel like I’ll have to do quite a bit of 3D modelling before moving to the heavy stuff on UE4 (like the combat system, enemy AI, inventory and the list goes on).

Now what I sort of meant before going too much into details is that I am wondering what sort of planning would I need to do better ? Because making a game is one thing, but making a game without any previous experience/knowledge is another.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m looking for some advice on how to learn UE4, and most importantly, on how to be able to build a game later on. What sort of skills should I learn earlier on an progressively ?

(And no I’m not necessary planning on making a game all on my own, I just feel like I can’t progress and learn more from UE4 because of my bad experiences with 3D modeling, and for that I need to to some 3D modelling if I want to be able to make a combat system or an inventory since they require some modeling before I can do some more blueprints).

Thank you.

First thing is to figure out what part of game development you like more. What you want most likely requires years of skill in many areas so if you want nice 3D assets then you’ll have to dedicate time to learn that, but if you’re only interested in developing gameplay then you don’t need to do much 3D, just something that will function in your gameplay.
As far as tutorials are concerned, it helps if you’re working on something because the stuff you’re learning becomes more relevant and easier to remember when you are learning them to solve an immediate problem.

Don’t let people use your dreams to abuse you;
Good luck.

Hi. Patience only.
When i jumped into game developing, i know norhing about making games, i even didnt know games can be made with engine…

I started at 11/2015 with some c++, then i jumped into unreal 2/2016. At 4/2016 i started developing my simple tps game. I meant i can finish it in 3 months… mistake. Now after 1 year, today im going to publish my game to steam greenlight. Its only alpha, but i have something to show off :slight_smile:
I will need next 1 year to finish it…

Imo the best is to start with blueprints. Follow this tut: www.shootertutorial.com, its really helpful and advanced… when you finish some of yout gameplay scripts and you will be in needs of simple models, go to 3d modelling program, dont be afraid of it, its simplier than scripting. I done in 30 hours 7 cool models with textures…

GL!

2c:
Come up with a ‘workable game idea’ you’re totally passionate about, and progress will be fast.

Boundaries… Don’t try to learn everything. Pick one game type and learn that well to begin with.
Some try and learn everything from every tutorial, but it takes exceptional person to pull that off…

Sorry if that sounds obvious / redundant, but learning about gameplay is trickier than you realize…
Its easy to think as a gamer you really know what an RTS / RPG / FPS / Moba is, but that’s not so.
Not until you learn one game engine API and see how gameplay concepts convert into actors etc.

First of all, thank you all for your answers.

I think up to now I’d say what I enjoyed the most was level design and creating blueprints. I’m more focused on gameplay and level design elements for now, so creating high quality assets is not quite on my list yet. I was thinking about learning the basics of 3D modelling just to create basic assets to then be able to incorporate them and give them a function in the game.

I’ll definitely check out that website. I’m not much into shooters but a bunch of tutorial looks lie they could be interesting down the road.

As for boundaries, I haven’t spend much time doing something that wouldn’t be useful in the long term. Up to now I’m trying to do gameplay ideas I want and if I’m missing something I go take a look on a tutorial to see what I was missing. Trying to learn everything in one go just wouldn’t do it for me as I’d forget most of it.

If you’re serious about shipping a game, something you’ll want to consider is a milestone-based production plan. This is important if you are working with a time/money budget. You set milestones for specific dates with the intention to complete those milestones by then. Doing this helps you keep track of your development progress and ensures that you’re on your way to completion.

Here’s a post that explains the game development process from a developer’s point of view: » Ultima Game Developer: Milestones

This post isn’t about milestones really, but it offers some pretty helpful advice about overcoming hurdles in game development: http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game