in Tokyo Wonderland - Blueprint Only Action Hack n' Slash

the other part of Hitting enemies…

Summary - Create a capsule to handle the collision on your weapons…Create Functions to turn on the collision when needed and send the info to change the health of an enemy on the Capsules overlap event.

The “Clear Hit Array” function I have before the Traces are turned on simply removes all entries from the array…example below…

Awesome Action Sequences President! I’m digging that Sword. I always wanted to make a hardcore Action Game. I’m working with Blueprints Only so, I’m keeping my eyes this one daily. Just Amazing.

Nice dude, really nice. Paying attention to the feel of the moves and the impact of the attacks just based on video, it’s hard to tell but it looks good. Really cool. Actually hard to get it right. I can’t play to feel how it plays but it looks like fun for sure… :slight_smile:

Update time…
Didn’t work on too much these week as I’ve doing the shipping for the Tokyo Wonderland Comic Book…but still managed to try out the Lock On Decal and Fresnel to make the Locked on Target stand out more…

Thanks Tech… Great work on your end as well…if memory serves (and it doesn’t always) you’ve some Maze work that I was digging…I have the Wonderland Card Maze to create later in this game and I certainly liked your approach. Anyways feel free to ask whatever questions you need…I wouldn’t be able to make this game if it weren’t for awesome people like you sharing awesome ideas and approaches to problems. Thanks for the kind words…

Thanks Obihb…feels like a dirty little secret for us game developers on how many hours we spend just playing our own games for the kicks…so for sure I’m just staring at all the things I don’t like in it but yeah it’s a blast right now…really need a new enemy though which is what I’ll be working on next…after that I’ll likely be able to put a demo together so hopefully I can get your opinion on some things…

Sorry for the hold up on the AI video…I wanted to wait until after the AI Twitch (in 12 hours) to see if I’ll be changing how my AI is handled…
otherwise I’ve been working on new a new level…It’ll be our Vertical Slice…we’ve a lot of placeholders and it’ll be a great change of pace to bring some things up to their game ready version…
anyways… Card Ninja’s…
dbf71dfeb403c8b714917ffb595a643c8f30a679.jpeg
7035c5e5dabbd6bfd3f6354a2805537e66a6e5a6.jpeg

I work super loose and do most of it in the modeling but since the Concept Art (if those sketches can be called that) comes from me I don’t need a bunch of details to know what I meant…so should have more people to beat up soon other than the Kendo Guy…and I’ll get the AI video up soon…

Thank you for the blueprints details :slight_smile:
The game is coming along nicely, and i like the ninja card design , it’s a good inspiration from in Wonderland.

Great combat and animations in general. This looks like a really fun game with great aesthetics. Look forward to playing.

The relationship between Parent/Child Blueprints…

Summary: just some base level knowledge on Parent/Child Blueprints…I’m sure there’s a ton more you can learn about them…But still super useful for creating games and saving time. Create 1 brain for all your enemies in the Parent class and finalize the brain in the Child Class saving you from 1000 copy and pastes…

Agreed Galeon, I really look forward to the next set of places and enemies we’re moving on to…it’s a lot more Wonderland feeling…so it’ll show of the mixing of Japan and Wonderland better than the previous places have…

Thanks , We started with the combat as it’s the most important and have a lot more to improve on as all the animations thus far are just placeholders…It’ll be a lot better very shortly as we start moving into finalizing plenty…
I look forward to you playing it as well…

For those checking out the video if there are any questions of problems let me know…Thanks.

And Enemies that can Seek and DESTROY!!!..not really but they seek and attack …

Summary : A lot of stuff we did in previous videos, just in the MyCharacter() Blueprint…A reset that’s called in Animations or on Landed… We set up a Nav Mesh Bounds so that the enemy can figure out how to navigate to the player so that they may hit them. Once within range they Attack by turning on Collision set through the Anim Notifies… Cast to the Character to let them know they’ve been hit and how much life to lose…A lot “more of the same”…but it works for now…

Let me know if you’ve any questions or concerns…Thanks…

This is fantastic work and thank you so much for all the videos! You have my vote! I look forward to more updates and vids!

Great to hear…thanks for the vote…we’ll need it…Update will be up tomorrow for the Lock On…tried recording it today but forgot the “stop recording” button was set to “-” and I put in a negative value toward the end ruining the video…HA…I will record it again tomorrow and upload it…

Hi President,

Marvelous job, really, and thanks for the videos, great stuff!!!

Definitively got my vote, keep it up because this is pure gold :slight_smile:

Oh Far from gold but thanks for the kind words…
I’ve seen some of your videos before on Youtube…Cool work…I’m looking forward to trying Facial Animation and your videos just got me re-excited for it…likely a ways a way though for me…anyways…Thanks again especially for the vote…we’ll for sure need everyone of them we can get…

Thanks…

The hack n’ slash system you developed has always been a thing that I had in mind, so be able to see the behind the scene for me its pure gold :slight_smile:

Thanks for the appreciation regarding the facial animation, actually I’m about to release ( well, offering as a service ) a quite cheap blend shape based lipsync animation, but completely agnostic to characters body/shape/rig, means that the animation is not driven by the character rig but externally, and its working pretty nicely…and ( most important thing ) lipsync animation can be retargeted to every rig :slight_smile:
Hopefully, since holidays are almost here, I’ll finish the video in a week and open a thread under the WIP / Got Skills? Looking for Talent? section, so keep an eye on it :wink:

Keep us updated with the dev diaries!

The lock on…

Summary : Event tick that’s asking if we are locked on…once we are it turns 's look rotation to the Lock target as well as the View…We find a target based on Distance and recheck for a Lock Target when the Enemy dies…

I did remove that Sequence node and Delay in the recheck and just called my Lock Off event then straight to rechecking for Enemies…works fine thus far so likely it’s just old code…

Nicolas, Sounds awesome…I’ll be watching out for it…Thanks…

Your dev logs have been seriously great and a real treat to watch; Thank-you :slight_smile:

Wow this is really awesome and inspiring. Also really action packed. I can’t wait to get back into making combo systems. Great job on this.

Changing Lock Targets by the right joystick…

Summary: We make rotations from our Joystick and shoot off from the player character with a Sphere trace…set the lock target and ignore the last lock target for a short time…use a 2nd sphere trace in case the player meant the person to their lock targets left rather than from the player characters left or so…not too bad really…

Happy it helps anyone…as I’m sure you are with your blog and e-books…thanks for sharing that info with everyone…

Thanks…great job to you…I was a fan of Shulu and The Spirit Cryslin…Gotta say I looked over Blood King when I saw it in the WIP because I’m not a horror guy…but now that I know it’s you I’ll be checking it out for sure…

Just watched your dev videos and they’ve been super helpful. Thanks for showing how you went about doing the combo system and lock on :slight_smile:

Hi President. The Blueprints Maze Generator (Network-enabled) is ready. Its based on this the Depth-First Search Algo highlighted on Mazeworks.com. Its an Actor that Adds components to build the maze, so you can position it anywhere in the level map and spawn the maze. I use a Linear Byte Array to store a two-dimensional matrix of rooms, each element holding a byte value that represents the walls west:1/south:2/east:4/north:8 the makes up a room. This data structure can be use to construct level maze in many different ways. I personally generate my dungeon rooms wall by wall with Statics Meshes (which could easily be Wonderland Cards, entire buildings/structures, destructible meshes, whatever):

https://arcadekomodo.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/maze-150x150.png