Download

Advice on a personal project. (Remastering a game)

Hello dear fellow UE users and content creators.

From a young age I’ve been playing a myriad of different games.
But no other game stood out to me as much as Funcom’s “Age of Conan”.

I am 25 years old now, and grew up with it.

The game was released in 2008, 12 years later and it has aged somewhat. It is still active (growing in activity seeing the COVID-19 situation).
Now Funcom uses their own Engine called ‘Dreamworld’ to create their game.

But i always wondered how the models, the visuals, the colors, the lighting, etc… would look like in an updated engine.

I’ve seen some examples of older games remade in UE (Runescape, World of warcraft, etc…) And wondered: “Why not AoC?”

Now i myself have no form of design background… but that can be slowly learned by searching and looking up video’s and tutorials.
I also know the ginormous amount of time that will be spend to realize this, so I am not in a hurry. I’ll slowly create this.

My question to you all is: How does one approach remastering a game?

So you just model everything one by one? Is there a structure that makes it more efficient to follow.
Do people start with models first? Or the zone’s, the maps? Or with the engineering of the game play?
What would be general ‘milestones’ to grasp for?
Any tips or advice?

Thank you all in advance and cheers,

Bloodgeneral.

(note: I by NO MEANS am trying to use this project for any gain other then my personal enjoyment, this game is dear to my heart and I would not dare misuse Funcom’s intellectual property.
I just want the game to look awesome!)