"Add World Offset" vs "Set World Location"

If you have a moment and happen to know:

What would be the differences between “Add World Offset” “Set World Location” ??
Is there any reason someone would not want to use one over the other, if both would work in a particular situation?

I’m using them on a scene component in my scenario.

i will take the exemple with an actor character

(set world location) = to set something to a destination for exemple you want to set the player to the location x100,y100,z100 on press B then when the key will be pressed the whole actor will be teleported to the location

(add world offset) = in my definition is to add location offset of something exemple the camera of the player, if you set the camera of the player x0,y0,z50 then the camera will be more in air cause you added 50 to the Z axis

if you want to teleport something use set world location if you want to offset something use add world offset :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for the technical difference @SamuelCrevier . I understand what each does. My question is really if there is a reason why you would use one over the other, in a situation where they both have the same outcome.

ex. I have an component, I can AddWorldOffset it by 10uu on the zAxis in relation to an independent variable, or I can SetWorldLocation to 10uu on Z more than an independent variable. Both end up moving the component to the same place. Is one a better route than another and if so, why?

If an actor location is not in 0,0,0,‘add world offset’ node will not match ‘set world location’ node.

For example your character now in location 500,500,500, ‘add world offset’ 100,100,100, will make your character go to location 600,600,600, ‘set world location’ 100,100,100, will make your character go to 100,100,100.

English is not my native language, forgive me for some grammatical mistakes.

2 Likes