Action based leveling system, possible with blueprints?

Hello! I’m not sure if there’s already a thread for this but I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a “leveling system” meaning a exp rewards system that isn’t based off kills or quests, but events. Stats or “attributes” would level based off number of specific events
“punching” would yield “exp” in a “punch” attribute
and after a number of events, the attribute would go up in value
say I need to punch 15 times to level up the first time in punching, the next level would get more difficult by a factor of x1.5
same for kicking, etc. Also just wondering if this idea would even work without a level cap…or a cap so high it’s ridiculous.
Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction i’m new with ue4 and would love to have some advice on how to approach this. :smiley:

This can be done in Blueprints. You would need some float or integer variables, and for instance use OnHitEventOverlap to increase a float value when you hit something. Though that would also require a collider component, and both your character and the hit target enabled generate hit events. There are probably many examples using blueprints along these lines, as well as tutorials on YouTube. I think even the official Unreal YT channel has some game specific tutorials which use similar mechanics.

I thought of this tutorial here, Endless Runner: Overview & Player Control | 01 | v4.7 Tutorial Series | Unreal Engine - YouTube

Thankyou! I love watching tutorials for more info. Do you think those kinds of concepts you were talking about above could apply to a multiplayer game? That’s what i’m going for.

Yes it is possible.

I’ve finished the 3rd person game tutorial series, and I’m starting the c++ power up game tutorial now but I would really like to know where to go from there, what are the names of the tutorials you were speaking of other than the “infinite runner” tutorial.