Achieving 100% Texture Utilization

I am working on a large model and achieving 100% texture quality with a fixed texel size, but can’t get my texture utilization to 100%. I am shooting 8K images (a photo set of 3,270 24 bit 8192x5460 pixel images) and get 82% utilization unwrapping at 8K and 89% utilization when I unwrap at 4K.

Why is the utilization lower with 4K than 8K? And how can I achieve 100% texture utilization?

Hi Joel, you correctly used the fixed texel size unwrap style to achieve the optimal texel size, or in other words, 100% texture quality.

However, you cannot take any specific settings or steps to achieve 100% texture utilization. In other words, it’s the percentage of used texels. It will never be 100% becasue there will always be gaps between UV islands. RCs unwrap algorithm is trying its best to get as close as possible to 100% texture utilization. Many factors influence it. Some you may influence, for example, with the gutter setting. It also depends on the geometry of the model. More complex geometry will result in smaller UV islands and, therefore, more gaps between UV islands. The result is less texture utilization.

Fixed texel size unwrap style with 4k maximal texture resolution will create more textures than fixed texel size unwrap style with 8k maximal texture resolution. The utilization can be different because of the different UV layouts of the textures.