Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

I put a game together entirely in blueprint, and have been working on it for quite some time.

Its went through the transitions of 4.6, 4.7, and now 4.8 (only ever had trouble moving it into 4.8, it broke some nodes but I fixed it after a bit.). But now when I play the packaged version – playing it in the editor works entirely fine, it crashes.

I should note, the game itself starts fine and is fairly light to begin with. It loads into a slate gui and nothing else, and then you press the play button and it loads in some really basic actors with randomized colors and positions based on a grid in the editor, but it fails when you press play in the packaged version.

I’m on 4.8.2. I’m packaging for windows x32, on windows 8.1 pro x64.

"Fatal error!
MachineId:A6C2F86C48CE0B4E97B6AD8BBB6E2272
EpicAccountId:

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

UE4Game.exe!UDestructibleComponent::SetMaterial() {0x0000000001e388d7} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UPrimitiveComponent::execSetMaterial() {0x000000000162d6f4} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UFunction::Invoke() {0x00000000012e3265} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::CallFunction() {0x0000000001326d9f} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::execVirtualFunction() {0x0000000001366b08} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::ProcessContextOpcode() {0x000000000134c831} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::execContext_FailSilent() {0x000000000136481f} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::ProcessInternal() {0x000000000134e2bc} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UFunction::Invoke() {0x00000000012e3265} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::ProcessEvent() {0x000000000134d96e} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!AActor::ProcessEvent() {0x0000000001d7bad8} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!AActor::ReceiveBeginPlay() {0x00000000014c7482} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!AActor::BeginPlay() {0x0000000001d5f047} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!AActor::PostActorConstruction() {0x0000000001d7a66d} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!AActor::FinishSpawning() {0x0000000001d69750} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UGameplayStatics::FinishSpawningActor() {0x000000000172dd66} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UGameplayStatics::execFinishSpawningActor() {0x0000000001600ca7} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UFunction::Invoke() {0x00000000012e3265} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::CallFunction() {0x0000000001326d9f} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::execFinalFunction() {0x0000000001364a5b} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::execFinalFunction() {0x0000000001364a5b} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::ProcessContextOpcode() {0x000000000134c831} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::execContext() {0x00000000013647ff} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::execLetObj() {0x000000000136586d} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::ProcessInternal() {0x000000000134e2bc} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!AActor::GetFunctionCallspace() {0x0000000001d6cc96} + 0 bytes
UE4Game.exe!UObject::ProcessInternal() {0x000000000134de40} + 0 bytes"

Hey Psynth,

Do you have a specific blueprint within your project that includes a destructible component along with a begin play within the blueprint editor? It looks like one specific blueprint may actually be causing this issue. I also wanted to know if your project is able to be packaged under shipping or debug without crashing, could you try that please?

Looking forward to hearing back from you, thanks!

Okay, so I tried packaging through the shipping setting before and it crashed, but now it doesn’t crash – instead it gives what look like default gray textures on everything.
It wont let me build in debug due to it being content only; most everything is generated at the start. (I tried cooking the content to windows and trying to build it in shipping mode but then it cashes and gives me the same error in the same pattern as before.)
I do have a blueprint with a destructible mesh with a begin play event. I have a blueprint that handles the spawning of it, and it generates a couple hundred instances of that actor which when spawned(event play) chooses a material to wrap itself in. What do I need to fix there?

Typically when everything shows up greyscale, it’s because the shaders did not have enough time to compile before you began packaging. However, that’s not always the case.

First, I would highly suggest looking in the blueprints that have the nodes that are listed in the error log. I’d either recreate them completely or verify that they’re not hooked up incorrectly. This may take some trial and error. Honestly, if it was my project and it wouldn’t take me a few days to recreate the blueprints, I would honestly just recreate them so then I know that they’re freshly made.

After you’ve looked over the blueprints and have verified that there isn’t any issue as far as you can tell, I would then try to package again for development, shipping and debug. See which one crashes, or if they all do. Provide me the logs if that happens so that I can read into them further for you.

Update me when you obtain more information, thanks!

Hey,

I have not heard from you in quite a few days and for that reason, I must mark this thread as resolved. However, if you have any further questions regarding this topic, please do not hesitate in replying back and asking some additional questions.

Thanks!