A few particle control questions?

Hey all,

I’m stepping back to Unreal after several years of using other tools for FX, and am sorely missing a few controls. I’m hoping that I just don’t know what I’m doing, so I thought I’d throw it out to all of you:

1. I have particles with random lifespans, and want to animate an attribute (let’s say dynamic parameter) at the same rate, but with a different random base. For example: Attribute = rand(0,1) + time;

If I use emitter time, all particles are set to the same time, and therefore the same attribute. If I use a particle constant curve, my values are locked to the normalized age of the particles, meaning that a particle with a lifespan of 2 will animate the attribute faster than a particle with a lifespan of 5. Is there no way to associate the X axis of the curves with a non-normalized age?

(addendum: I’m aware that in this example with a dynamic parameter, I could setup the equation in my material instead, passing only a random 0-1 through the parameter, but my need for this control on particle attributes directly remains true. For example, animating in a non-constant derivative)

1. Is there a way to seed the random component of a uniform curve so it does not flicker per frame?

I’m struggling a bit, as these are fairly basic controls in my more familiar engine, so I’m assuming I am missing something completely. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

-Keith