Download

A couple quick questions about Functions, Macros, and Variables

I just finished creating a moderately complex setup in Blueprint that controls one leg of a robot spider character. Each leg uses its own set of 4 variables to be called upon and set/modified, and while I can manually copy-paste the components and then manually replace all the variables, I was wondering if there was a better way to do this through Functions or Macros?

I’ve attached some images below with the specifics of what I’m curious about (and whether it’s possible).

Any help or info is appreciated. Cheers!

1cef295d723eb375d978a2606e5d0ae7abf264c1.jpeg

c0d6bb95141895b4ce2e5f813f8ed8752eaa7327.jpeg

I’m not 100% sure what you mean in the first screen… but I believe you are looking for the “Assign” node found in macros (you can’t do it with a function… unless you make a macro for this that then you can call in a function :p).

And about the second one… nope… I’m not aware of any way to call a variable via a string :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah thanks, the Assign node was exactly what I was looking for and works perfectly!

And yeah, it seemed like the string-to-variable name wasn’t possible based on what I had seen poking around, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

In regards to your strings to variables you could use an enum to list your options and then use a select node to control whats used. A bit like this.

9aa18616736c3a3ad872bf33a218e73a2da3e95f.png