Are there UE4 versions allowing feature level 4 graphics cards

After installing UE4 4.19 I can not run the engine as it tells me that I have a feature level 4 graphics card and need a feature level 5 graphics card. Are there versions of the engine that will allow me to run them with my feature level 4 card? I currently have an ATI Radeon HD 3450 card installed on Windows 10 and DirectX12.

After more research online I’m even more confused also. There seems to be plenty of info regarding DX feature levels but nothing on graphics card feature levels.

The ‘Message’ specifically reads “A Feature Level 5 video card is required to run the editor. AvailableFeatureLevel=SM4, ShaderPlatform=PCD3D_SM4”

I don’t know this card ATI Radeon HD 3450 but comparing to my backup card gt 730 what is really slow and bad for ue, gt 730 is still over 700% better than ATI Radeon HD 3450

I think you need a little gpu upgrade. Are you joking right?

I suppose not having enough money in this world actually is a joke to some, I have the refurbished computer I could afford. Thank you for your answer anyway.

I understand you, but if you want to create game in 3d for current machines, you need good setup. If I can suggest, here a lot of great ideas for low res, pixel and not only - 2d games what can be best for start in gaming. From my experience, Game Maker is great and enough for it and I can run it even on my over 10 years laptop which I still have. For Unreal, not mention GPU you need minimum 8gb ram, not bad CPU and good GPU for compiling shaders and game itself. I start in ue with 5gb ram only, but I do code only months ago and it was enough. However, I had this card what now is my backup card gt 730, was not good enough, but ue started.

what are the rest of your system specs like? i would think that a system with that old of a graphics card wouldnt be able to run windows 10. if your deadset on using ue4 then i would suggest an upgrade in hardware as your card is less powerful than integrated graphics at this point id imagine. if the rest of your system is ok then you could just buy a used 750 ti or something which will be decent enough and they can be had for 40$ on ebay. of you wanted to get a new pc then you can always look for deals and get a decent system for between 250-500 without a graphics card. check out the min speck for ue4 that ill link below and that will give you an idea as to the hardware you will need. the only other option would be to use a different and possibly older engine such as udk.

Recommended spec

New Pc Example

750 ti ebay

Thank you Vaheva. I appreciate your time to clarify and I understand I’ll have to work up some money for a GPU upgrade to work with UE. Much appreciated and take care.

Thank you for your time. The system I have isn’t way too old, the refurb company I got it from seems to have put a $10 graphics card in the case to claim it can run as dual monitor. I’ll just have to work up the funds for an upgrade to my GPU. Thanks again for your time, suggestions and the info including costs is always helpful for those of us on a small budget. Take care.

Try version 4.17

Appreciated… an actual answer to my question. Thank you I will try this and see what happens. I will also post my results here for those who may also be interested in this question. I believe that it’s important to answer since I spent years developing many worlds for my son in UE 2.5 years ago just for it to be scrapped and now moving to UE4 I believe that there is still a market (place) for games that can be played on older graphics cards since there are so many out there who can not afford the $100-$6000 graphics cards to play a simple game. Thanks again, I’ll be back with the results (hopefully positive).

I hope here still place for games can run on lower settings, for me always gameplay is important not graphic, I enjoy still System Shocks, so. But world changing and most popular gpu on steam is 1060 as I remember. Fingers crossed!

Vaheva you are brilliant! This did work and I’ve played around with the editor etc to see if it retains functionality. All works perfectly even with my stripped down old graphics card :slight_smile: The frame rate started just a hair slower than recommended but the engine itself adjusted this automatically (with permission that I gave it) and the resolution decrease wasn’t very much, mostly in lighting. Thanks again for your help, I know you had to do some research to figure out what version might work and you did find a solution. I’ve attached a gift to show my appreciation (not sure if it’s allowed but doing it anyway :), just one of my models (not necessarily something you want or can use but I wanted to repay you for your effort.link text

Oops, should have looked closer :slight_smile: You’re still brilliant! Thanks again. Take care.

I’m not Vaheva, but you’re welcome, no problem XD enjoy

Yes, all merits for you and upvoted. I’m glad it working, I don’t know version 4.17 can run older cards. For me UE 2 was good enough, I loved Americas Army and I miss old times :smiley:

I have the lowest end GeForce ever made (my chassis needed a low profile card) - a 210. I’ve been able to get 4.17 UE to run.

the 210 is from 2009 while its not a great card its still somewhat comparable to the gtx 470
which is the recommended spec.

also linked the original geforce with a whopping 166Mhz clock no wait thats the memory clock, the core was only 120

I rescued my project in 4.19.2 by removing the line

-TargetedRHIs=PCD3D_SM5

and only using the line

-TargetedRHIs=PCD3D_SM4

and setting the target hardware to mobile

TargetedHardwareClass=Mobile
AppliedTargetedHardwareClass=Mobile

in the DefaultEngine.ini file which is located in the config folder.

Then I could open my project again.