4.26 Performance Concerns - Looking at you MostHost_LA

God forbid you need technical support by anyone at this point?
You would literally not be able to find anyone who still remembers what .18 gotchas and issues you have to fight against, not even if you were to try and hire whoever epic canned…

Yes, they named it Chaos because they knew what a darn mess they were going to make way before they even started.

I think they also lied to all of us when they said that fortnite was fully using chaos.
To be completely honest I stopped attempting to play that :poop: (Save the world was just grind. And open matches are just boring after a while.).
I’m not up to snuff, but a few seasons ago their Performance on 1080ti sank by about 20fps, which means they too were publishing on .26.
And all the objects simulating physics at the same time have never actually held up to any chaos engine performance comparison. You can literally cripple a good cpu with less than 100 simulating objects.

Back when I tried it last, if you made it humanoid skeletal meshes in ragdoll you would literally just bluescreen.

So, it’s not “in many cases” its in all cases.

To the point that developing without physx is ill advised if you intend to make a fully dynamic world.

Has this gotten any better over the past year?
From my test projects, no it has not. (Dynofoliage is essentially foliage made with skeletal meshes. If I increase the radius of the swap to 3000 I get an instant 0fps hangup and possibly a bsod).

Though it’s not like I went and specifically tested this in ue5, so I’d defer to anyone else’s opinion on that.

Chaos sounded like a good idea, it was executed as everything else is being executed in the engine the past 2 years or so: very badly.

2 Likes