4.11 Breaks Linux Dedicated Server Packaging for Development target

A change to the Automation Tool regarding build receipts seems to be breaking the Linux Dedicated Server packaging toolchain.

This change specifically: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/7034d7828932af67545388f8fc8a8bcb5fd41e83

Now that architecture names are used for .target names, Linux Development target files contain “ProjectName-Developmentx86_64-unknown-linux-gnu” when the packager expects simply “ProjectName” for Development builds as per “GetDefaultPath” in UnrealBuildTool\System\TargetReciept.cs" operates, as the packager doesn’t use an architecture name for development linux builds.

This results in the packager trying to find a ‘.target’ file that doesn’t exist during the ‘CopyBuildToStagingDirectory’ automation script.

Workaround: Cook both LinuxNoEditor and LinuxServer builds because then the automation tool will skip the check for .target files.

Hey Allar-

Just so I’m sure I understand correctly, you’re saying you are unable to build/package a dedicated server in 4.11 on Linux? Are you able to reproduce this problem in a new project? If so can you explain your steps in setting up your dedicated server?

I’m unable to package only a Linux Server (and it turns out only a Windows Server) on a Windows machine. I can start a new project, then create a Server .target for said project, as outlined here:

And using both the Project Launcher in the Editor as well as custom scripts I’ve wrote, if I try to package only a LinuxServer or only a WindowsServer then I get a ‘failed to find ProjectName.target’ file, due to how .target files are now being named.

If I package any two things at the same time, such as a WindowsNoEditor and a WindowsServer, this works as the packager doesn’t care about .target files if you are cooking and packaging more than one target. (If it cares about one target though, shouldn’t it care about multiple? Why is this?)

After creating/formatting the Server.Target.cs files, packaging LinuxServer alone completed without error. Can you post the errors you’re getting when you attempt to package?

Hi Allar,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.