3rd Person Material Change

Hey nerds!

I’m fairly new to Unreal, so sorry if I’m posting in the wrong section. But, I am making a 3rd person game where my character is mostly in his house, and I am trying to implement a function where the character can enter an edit mode in game, and change the materials of the home. I see a lot of this sort of thing in ArchViz videos and demos, but I’ve never seen this exact thing in a 3rd person game. I have no idea how to go about this, though. Any suggestions would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Autumn

Hi @ForeverAutumn

You probably need a little interface, a “widget”
You can make some buttons to set different materials to something you have to identify.

So :

1. use raycast or trigger box to identify a staticmeshactor or Actor in the scene.
    2)save a reference in the player to the object you want to change
  2. create a widget with some buttons and add it to the view
    you need buttons for the materials , and buttons for the material slot of the object !
  3. Make the widget read the reference from the player , of the objecct you want to change.
  4. the object could be simple like a staticmeshactor, (you still have to identify the material slots of the staticmesh actor)
    or could be an actor, that can have multiple static mesh inside, with multiple material slot !!!
    So for make it simplle, lets say you only use staticmesh.
  5. Make the widget read the amount of material slot
    and change the buttons to show this to the "user "
  6. finally make the widget button, assign the material selected to the material slot of the object you selected !

I have a similar demo , see how the widget change the number of materials and slot avaible !