Cooking fails after FBX imports with only spot lights

Build type: Binary from the Unreal Launcher

Build version: 4.13.2 - 3172292 as well as 4.14.0 - 3179539

Detailed description of the issue: When I import an FBX containing only spot lights into the scene, cooking the content (both directly and as part of packaging) fails with an access violation.

Repro Steps:

1. Create a new blank project (I only tested C++, but there is no custom code included), no starter content.
  2. Save the untitled level and set it as a start up level in the project settings.
  3. Import the attached FBX file by way of “File → Import Into Level…” into an empty content folder. Leave every option as default (mainly import as a new blueprint asset).
  4. Optionally delete the asset from the current level. Save everything.
  5. Execute “File → Cook Content for Windows” or try packaging the project.

When doing this, the imported spot lights are correctly displayed, even building lighting information and playing in the editor works as expected. But cooking/packaging fails with an access violation (“Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffff”), kind of a deferred crash. The imported asset doesn’t have to be a part of any level, it being there is enough for cooking to fail. The attached FBX file was made from scratch in Max 2013 x64 as a test case for this bug by adding two simple spot lights to an otherwise empty scene. Further adding a dummy mesh in form of a cube to the FBX file fixes the issue, so I guess the problem doesn’t have anything to do with the spot lights at all, but with the import having no geometry.

System Specs: Windows 10 Professional x64, Intel Core i7 8600K, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1070, Oculus Rift CV1 (version 1.9.0 runtime installed).

Hi Neomi,

Thank you for submitting a bug report. I have reproduced this issue and logged a report for it here: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-38264)

You can track the report’s status as the issue is reviewed by our development staff.

Cheers,