Download

1570 or 460 polygons - no FPS drops?

This have 460 polygons.

460.jpg

This have 1570 polygons.

1570_poly.jpg

Just for test - I import 42 object in my small scene in UE 4 engine, only grass landscape with normal map + some stone walls with normal map and lighting effects + sky.

In each 2 test - I have 120 fps.

So do I need to reduce every model to small number of polygons or dont?

Yes, do the first example, it saves memory costs, and just because you have good FPS now doesn’t mean it’ll be good when you have everything else in there.

Honestly, draw calls are a much more important place to optimize, and anything below 5k tris will have a minimal impact on performance, but that doesn’t meant you shouldn’t know how to, or practice, creating efficient low poly models.

Try putting in 42000 instances instead of 42 :wink:

Most GPU’s can display a few million polygons before they reach the point where fps will drop. So measuring with 500 or 50,000 isn’t going to change the FPS (as above post, try instancing massive amounts then you can see the gains by reduction in polys). The Top version is fine, there is no need for the extra loops shown in the second picture. In fact you could remove allot of the indent detail on the tower just by using a normal map to fake the indent and save even further amounts of polys.

You can still use a thrid low poly model and use LOD to keep the fps constant.

Well If you have high end machine then having a low poly mesh like that would barely scrape the surface of performance hinderance.

42 instances of a 1570 polygon model is still only 65k triangles - some characters in modern games have that many by themselves :wink:

You should also use millesecond timer over FPS as FPS is a flawed performance metric.
You can read this for more info.

HTH

The rule of thumb I use as others have also mentioned is optimised LOD’s and reduced draw calls by limiting the number of materials applied. You can certainly use the higher polygon version and simply switch to a lower LOD when the camera is a certain distance away. Performance drops will kinda creep up on you the more detailed and populated your scene becomes. Better to get in to that way of thinking early.

Yes, I see, so I will allways try to reduce poligons to smaller size.
In my practice, I first create a low poly like in picture of 1570 polygons.
Then I make a high poly version, to make any smoothing edges, deatils etc.

And then I make low poly of 460 polygons and bake normal bump map.

Thanks guys!

Well, for a building, you will most likely want to use tiling textures and decals, and not a unique normal map for the entire asset.

That really depends on the game; for an RTS with a broad top-down view, the more simple setup is perfectly fine as the assets individually rarely occupy significant screen percentages.

Oh definitely, also with RTS games, you’ll have to figure out if you are going to have building upgrades, and what is the max level of zoom, before you start making assets.

I’m understand that smaller number of polygons is better, but sometimes it takes time to reduce polygons, like my example with test house, because I model house with swift loop modifier, and that is why I have larger number of polys in low poly model.

I tried to use pro optimizer, and it works really good, it reduces number of polys at cca 420 from 1570, but my manual reducing is looking better :smiley:

And why pro optimizer show triangles after operation?