First Person/Third Person game

I’m pretty new to Unreal Engine and I’m planning to develop a game where the goal is to protect the player’s base from invasions of the enemies, it’s a shooter game. I’m not sure what is the best approach for this kind of game.

1. I read that third person games have usually more chance to succeed, is that true?
  2. I saw some tutorials showing how to switch from third person to first person view, but I didn’t see the opposite. In this case, would it be better to start developing using a third person template instead of a first person template and use blueprints to toggle between both perspectives?
  3. Should I make this a third person game? A first person game? Or both?
  4. Which perspective would be better for someone that is starting now to develop games? Which one requires less work?

1 > Plenty of 1st games have make lots of money and fame, this engine creator for one. As always it depends on the content not the genre necessarily. Details details.

2 > Going back and forth between them should be relatively easy, given its possible one way, I can’t imagine not, wouldn’t make any sense, just use the same code and use a different target I suppose…

3 > That’s entirely up to you, no one can decide that for you nor should anyone really, beause very successful games have been made from both types.

4 > Both styles can be used to create various types of games, you are only talking about a viewport distinction essentially and both have been used in various games. Don’t over think this :wink:

Decide what you want to do, and go that direction or end up, in my opinion, spinning in circles .

Mass effect, unreal tournament were FPs’s, whereas say as an example, a game like skyrim, morrowind are thought of as 3rd person exploration but as noted both styles can be used of course.

Specically, most MMO’s as an example are 3rd, because they allow a lot of player customization and that can entail a great detail of detail, blah blah so that has clear advantages.

In the end as I noted above, it all depends what you are doing. THe disctinctions are fairly simplistic, don’t over think it :wink: Less work obviously for a ‘simpler’ game of course, if you aren’t designing lots of visual gear and other things.