User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you be interested about this content ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 92.86%
  • No

3 7.14%

Thread: Glitch/Sci-Fi - Post-Process

Cool Glitch/Sci-Fi - Post-Process

Hi all, I'm working on a few post-process shaders for UE4 and I was wondering if people here would be interested for something like this on the Markeplace. I already had good feedback via Twitter.

[EDIT] The package is now available : https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/sci-fi-and-glitch-post-process

Summary : 16 post-process shaders/materials to simulate glitch, monitors and some special effects.
    The goal is also to provide a bit of documentation to see how to optimize and combine some effects (because not all the shaders will be mixable together). All the materials have a global intensity control that allow to blend in and out the effect. Most of the effects should also be blendable via the post-process volume blend radius (some effects are unfortunately not compatible).

Content :
    • Sharpen (Blend between two sharpen preset)
    • Lens distortion (Inverted barrel)
    • Chromatic radial blur and Radial blur (with performance and size controls)
    • Underwater (Screen distortion + TriPlanar caustic projection from camera)
    • Broken glass (distortion based on normal map + progressive blending)
    • Frozen glass (distortion + progressive blending)
    • Pixelate & Posterize
    • Diffrence & Color offset (Grayscale and Inverted grayscale after mid-values)
    • Pulse force (horizontal force wave that distort the scene/screen)
    • Pulse Wallhack (Pulse that project a grid in TriPlanar + show objects hidden behind walls)
    • TV CRT Monitor simulation (with flickering and scan-line)
    • Screen glitch (image offset, pixelate and stretch)
    • Bump map (bas-relief simulation + glitch)
    • ASCII (Convert screen into lines of text based on a charset, 2 are currently available)
    • Dithering classic (Cluster Dot, Bayer, Halfton and Blue noise)
    • Dithering glitch (Broken dithering that offset colors in grayscale)

Videos :

Screenshots :

Note : the anamorphic bloom requires an engine modification for the moment and will not be included in this project.

Name:  chromatic_blur.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  dithering.jpg
Views: 1786
Size:  555.0 KB

Name:  bump.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  526.5 KB

Name:  ascii.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  535.4 KB

Name:  glitch.jpg
Views: 1858
Size:  339.6 KB

Name:  brokenglass.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  268.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Froyok; 03-30-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Promoter
    Oh wow, I like that, what would you set as price?
    Regards,
    Kia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kia View Post
    Oh wow, I like that, what would you set as price?
    That's a good question. Honestly I don't know yet. I will take into account the time it took me to complete and the amount of content however.
    If you have suggestions based on the current description feel free to share. That will also help me to see how you guys perceive those effects.

Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Froyok View Post
    That's a good question. Honestly I don't know yet. I will take into account the time it took me to complete and the amount of content however.
    If you have suggestions based on the current description feel free to share. That will also help me to see how you guys perceive those effects.
    I have no exact idea how to set the price, was just wondering if you already have an idea.

Seriously. I need this. If it doesn't get released on the marketplace can I buy it from you directly?

You'd have my money. Would love the anamorphic bloom as well... you thought of throwing it up on something like sellfy while waiting on Epic to approve it (or actually start offering plugins)?

I would buy this because my game needs these exact effects, and I have no interest in attempting to try to do it on my own since this isn't my area of expertise.

Sold, but I have a question:
    Can this effect be used to effect the appearance of just one object/character/item? (like if you wanted just one wall to look like this to highlight it as a secret door or something.)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNinja View Post
    You'd have my money. Would love the anamorphic bloom as well... you thought of throwing it up on something like sellfy while waiting on Epic to approve it (or actually start offering plugins)?
    Somebody already posted a proposition on GitHub but wasn't good enough for Epic so it wasn't integrated yet and the original user don't have the time to investigate further. I didn't change the method, so I'm using the imperfect one for the moment. The current code modify directly the native bloom code and shader and I'm not sure a plugin can be done in this case. However since I want to push my effects further by doing some custom process via a rendertarget (but without a scenecapture actor), maybe I could use that too to do the anamorphic bloom in a regular UE4 material (or maybe a custom hlsl shader).

Quote Originally Posted by Aumaan Anubis View Post
    I would buy this because my game needs these exact effects, and I have no interest in attempting to try to do it on my own since this isn't my area of expertise.

Sold, but I have a question:
    Can this effect be used to effect the appearance of just one object/character/item? (like if you wanted just one wall to look like this to highlight it as a secret door or something.)
    We have access to a stencil buffer with color ID that allow to mask in screenspace only certain objects (see http://www.tomlooman.com/multi-color-outline-post-process-in-unreal-engine-4/ ), so masking the post-process and the particles to only those objects should be doable. I will look into that.

(Okay I can't seem to be able to edit the poll or switch the tag to WIP, if a moderator has an idea how I'm interested to know.)

Still making some progress. I have added resolution downgrading (pixelate) to the glitch post-process. I have also worked on the progressive blending of the effect, to make it look like glitches are appearing by block and not by a smooth blending. That make stepping in and out of the post-process volume more interesting. A bit like going is a certain area cause more glitch to the player. Kinda cool. Also performances seems good as I'm still only doing 3 scene texture samples at the moment on this effect. The rest is masks and UV coordinates modifications (and lots of sin() functions).

Nest, I will look into dithering, color brightness and stretched pixel lines for this post-process.

Result in video :
    https://vine.co/v/iiaX2m7hl0w

Result in image :
    Name:  2016-01-24__02-26-10__inst_post_glitch.jpg
Views: 2108
Size:  691.4 KB
    Last edited by Froyok; 01-23-2016 at 09:34 PM.

(Okay I can't seem to be able to edit the poll or switch the tag to WIP, if a moderator has an idea how I'm interested to know.)
    I went ahead and changed it from "Gauging Interest" to "Work in Progress" for you. This looks fantastic! I could think of many, many uses for this =)

I updated a bit more the glitch effect. It's doing pretty well now. The video below show the progressive blending in/out of the effect. I have added stretched pixel lines with random colors to increase the glitch sensation. I'm still using a particle to generate the main patterns, but that will soon change.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBennifer View Post
    I went ahead and changed it from "Gauging Interest" to "Work in Progress" for you. This looks fantastic! I could think of many, many uses for this =)
    Awesome, thanks you !
    Last edited by Froyok; 01-25-2016 at 07:19 PM.

****, this is pretty impressive. I'm assuming it can also be used with Render to Texture, for that cool "bad transmission" look?

This is looking great. Interested.

Infiltrator
    I would buy this immediately

I'm glad you like it guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mediochrea View Post
    ****, this is pretty impressive. I'm assuming it can also be used with Render to Texture, for that cool "bad transmission" look?
    I used a render to texture since a particle system was used to generate random patterns, but now I have switched to a flipbook instead which give pretty much the same result (and that's much cheaper).
    As for an additional render to texture to perform more advanced deformation, why not, but that will require some complex setup of create performance issues so for the moment I'm not considering it. I would like to keep this effect gameplay friendly. Especially since it will be combined with some other post-effects.

[EDIT] Ha you probably mean for a TV/Monitor screen of an object in the scene ? That should be doable since it's mostly UV coordinates modifications, but not really my goal here.
    Last edited by Froyok; 01-27-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Here we go for the broken glass !
    The blending goes from the border of the screen and progressively break to reach the center.

The texture was generated in Substance Designer, so there is a way to generate easily different patterns.

Name:  broken_glass_2.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  220.3 KB

Name:  broken_glass_1.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  250.6 KB

Frozen glass version :

Name:  frozen_glass.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  285.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ModBodDolphin View Post
    Seriously. I need this. If it doesn't get released on the marketplace can I buy it from you directly?
    I missed this question : I guess yeah, even if I have no idea how I will sell it outside of the Marketplace for now.
    Last edited by Froyok; 01-28-2016 at 05:42 PM.

I missed this question : I guess yeah, even if I have no idea how I will sell it outside of the Marketplace for now.
    I'm with ModBodDolphin, particularly considering I've yet to see anything with C++ code actually get released (even plugins that have apparently been "accepted").

I've seen a few ways it's done:

• Set up your own sales portal on a webpage (often just using things like paypal to process payments)
    • Sellfy
    • Gumroad

I'm not sure if any of those appeal to you or if you'd even want to sell outside of the UE Marketplace. Speaking for myself I'll be telling you to take my money within the first week or two this is up for sale (wherever that is), and it looks like I'm not the only one.

Ha indeed, I totally forgot about Gumroad. I might sell there too. I have actually already bought things on Gumroad.

I'm still thinking about new effects, I have a long list and I will see what I can achieve or not. I hope the wait will be worth it.

From what I'm seeing it will be. I know all the effects I eventually wanted to cover you seem to have achieved already, and then some. I can't lie, since a lot of my game is centered around cybernetics and the matrix I'm itching to get my hands on this - but I'll be patient. I look forward to seeing more of what you're coming up with!

I'm working on some new post-process and will soon update the first post with more details.

Meanwhile here is the latest effect I made :

Looks good!

Hey guys ! Little update, as promised (even if I'm late).

I have now 16 different post-process materials. Most of them are finished, I'm now cleaning some of them and adding some notes and comments. I updated the first post with the final list.

I'm also working on a little scene a bit more clean than during my tests to showcase the materials. It looks like this currently :

Name:  museum.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  372.6 KB
    Last edited by Froyok; 02-13-2016 at 11:06 PM.

I'm giving a try at VR versions of some of my post-process.
    Unfortunately not a lot of them will be compatible or working well in VR. It also require a bit of work since you have to handle both eyes manually in the shader (splitting UV coordinates).

Name:  VR_broken_glass.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  402.5 KB

Little news : I have submitted my files to Epic for review on the Marketplace.
    I hope the wait will be worth it for you guys.

Wow, great effects! Will purchase them instantly Any news when they will be available on the marketplace?

Hi there, it's gonna be available next week if everything goes well.

The package is now available on the Marketplace ! Enjoy !

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/sci-fi-and-glitch-post-process

[EDIT] If a moderator can remove the poll and set the thread tag to "released" I would be super grateful. Unfortunately I can't do it myself.
    Last edited by Froyok; 03-30-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Champion
    Could these be added to actual materials like the CRT Tv on like a tv or something. Or do they have to use the viewport of the player?

Is there any sort of way to replicate these effects without buying them?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo8026 View Post
    Could these be added to actual materials like the CRT Tv on like a tv or something. Or do they have to use the viewport of the player?
    Well, it seems I missed your question by quite a long time. Apologies for that !
    Currently the effect use the player screen, but the post process material can be converted to be used on an in-game model. It requires some manually tweaking however. If you still need help for that let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzillafan View Post
    Is there any sort of way to replicate these effects without buying them?
    That's quite an odd question. Yes of course you can replicate them, by learning to do it by yourself. The goal of this kind of content is to avoid taking the time to learn it and produce it.