User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top Down Stealth Toolkit

Thank you for the quick response, I manage to edit it in the bots details panel.

A couple of questions:

1. The value of VisionRange and HalfVisionAngle keep snapping to 0.0 when I change either one of the value. By default, its set to VR=300, HVA=45. After I set the VR=600, and HVA turns to 0.0 by itself. This breaks the vision arc and the bot no longer detect the player.
    2. The vision arc mesh doesn't update visually in the editor upon changing the value in VisionRange. It would be most helpful to see how far the range reaches in the editor.

Thank you and looking forward to your solution when you have access to your PC.
    Name:  VisionArc.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  95.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Leebaba View Post
    Thank you for the quick response, I manage to edit it in the bots details panel.

A couple of questions:

1. The value of VisionRange and HalfVisionAngle keep snapping to 0.0 when I change either one of the value. By default, its set to VR=300, HVA=45. After I set the VR=600, and HVA turns to 0.0 by itself. This breaks the vision arc and the bot no longer detect the player.
    2. The vision arc mesh doesn't update visually in the editor upon changing the value in VisionRange. It would be most helpful to see how far the range reaches in the editor.

Thanks for pointing that out. I know for certain that editing normal component variables in the editor works, but from what you've described there may be a limitation when doing the same with data stored in structs. At this point, I can't say if it's an engine or toolkit bug. I will definitely get back to you about that after further testing as soon as I get access to the PC.

For now, I would suggest editing these details from within the BP_PatrolGuard_Melee blueprint itself. It will do the same for all Melee bots in the level, but it should allow you to test out customized vision ranges for the bots. The Vision Arcs should also auto update themselves each time you change the values in this manner.
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 07-13-2017 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leebaba View Post

A couple of questions:

Hi, I tried out editing the Visual Perception Data from the editor & was able to reproduce the issue. It seems to be an engine bug, & has already been reported through the Answer Hub a couple of weeks ago. You can check out more details about it over here: https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-46795

But more importantly, it seems that changes made to variables in an actor component, from the editor only gets applied when you actually start the level. But as mentioned in the previous post, all modifications made from within the actual blueprint will get applied across all instances in the editor itself. In this particular scenario, you could create publicly editable debug variables that let you test different dimensions for the Vision Arc, as shown below:

Name:  testvar.png
Views: 12
Size:  391.7 KB

The Vision Arc Manager component uses the 'RetrieveVisionRangeDimensions' interface function to update the vertices of the Vision Arc Mesh at runtime. It fetches the required parameters from the AI Perception component under normal circumstances, but introducing an additional check to see if the game is running will let us return different values in the editor & runtime scenarios. If the game is not running, then it will use the test variables to construct the arc. So by controlling these variables, you can try out different radii & arc angles. Once you're satisfied with a particular set of dimensions, you can set those values within the Visual Perception Data struct.

If you're using this approach, just make sure to clear out the 'VisionArcVertexArray' at Event Begin Play within the Vision Arc Manager component. This is basically to clean up any extra vertices that could possibly be created by setting custom dimensions within the editor.
    Last edited by Stormrage256; 07-13-2017 at 02:32 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123