Simple Games Made Quick (SGMQ) Weekly Series

Hello! I’m excited to share with you that I am starting a series called Simple Games Made Quick (SGMQ) which is goal-oriented around building a new simple game every week with as much of a professional level of detail as possible for it using free assets - paid assets will be used as well, just much less. The platforms I am primarily targeting are Windows and Android. This week we have a game mimicking the classic Resident Evil games!

Featured:

SGMQ Weekly #1:
Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrj3goaylo0
Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B90pAXmkfgSZZTNSdHpuZEV1RHM
Only compatible with Windows 64-bit.

SGMQ Weekly #2:
Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUNbtmke7rU
Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B90pAXmkfgSZeFhPMTJCV3kwZGM

SGMQ Weekly #3:
Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B90pAXmkfgSZZ290aGd6QlpoZmc/view?usp=sharing

I plan to publish new content to this thread at least once a week. Feedback and suggestions on any of the projects or this SGMQ idea are appreciated. If you have any questions let me know. Moving forward, I am considering turning the SGMQ series into a tutorial resource of sorts that shows how to emulate mechanics that are seen in other games within UE4. I think it would be fun to do, so let me know what you think of it and if you have suggestions for where to start. Thanks!

Week 2 has arrived! This week’s game is 2D-based with physics and is pretty much just golf without the 3rd dimension being factored in.

Week 3 is in! For this week, we have a game that emulates the style of classic Resident Evil games like 1 and 2.

Moving forward, I am considering turning the SGMQ series into a tutorial resource of sorts that shows how to emulate mechanics that are seen in other games within UE4. I think it would be fun to do, so let me know what you think of it and if you have suggestions for where to start. Thanks!

we need the .uproject file folders to download!!!

I dig your SGMQ Weekly #3 :wink: I fell into the vibe :cool:

I’ve taken note on the feedback and for the next release, I do plan to upload a commented .uproject that can be picked apart for you guys to use as you like. It will be an expansion of week #3 adding in aiming/shooting mechanics, an inventory, and some zombie enemies to shoot. That being said, I’ve come up with a schedule of what games will likely be emulated in UE4 in the next few releases:
Week #4 - Resident Evil
Week #5 - ??? (Unconfirmed)
Week #6 - Darkest Dungeon

Thanks for the feedback so far, it’s been helpful.

February has mostly been a quite month for me, so I figured I’d post a quick update about what is coming soon. SGMQ #4 is in the works and will basically feature a number of gameplay mechanics from Resident Evil; I have expanded the scope of what to is to be covered in the project and it will be featured as a downloadable .uproject for the community to use, so here is a quick recap of its main features:

SGMQ 4 Main Features
-Player Character (RE style movement)
-Shooting/Aiming
-Camera (RE style)
-Inventory
-Level Triggers
-Zombie Enemies
-Doors (locked & triggered)
-Pop-up Text (RE style)

I also thought about adding in level streaming to the design of it, but opted out of doing that for now. Oh, and here’s a screenshot of our character that will be used:

I am thinking ahead about what is to come next after doing this project, and I would like you to give some feedback on what you would like to see implemented next. Please tell me which game from the list you would like most to see done next; if you recommend another game also tell me what specific mechanics for it you would like to see done.

Suggest Next Project to Do
-Street Fighter (2D Fighting Game)
-Soul Calibur (3D Fighting Game / 8-way run)
-Other (Suggest any game, and describe what game mechanics to implement)

Thanks for the feedback.

The Soul Calibur would be most welcome.

a complete point & click adventure system would be fantatsic for me including these mechanics:

• dialog system
  • inventory for multiple characters
  • save / load system
  • static and moving cameras
  • viewing items in closeup and manipulating them (turning around zooming in/out)
  • the whole interactive elemnets (taking/moving/pushing etc objects)
  • etc…

kind regards
stucki

Really nice work man, Some feedback for you below

I like how despite not getting the attention this thread deserved at the start you still pushed through and kept delivering content.

Great work on deciding to release the projects fully commented so it can be a learning resource for the community.

I also like how you have bullet pointed the key mechanics you will include in the project (I would take a glance at the zombieAI for some learning :))

Next Project idea:
Basic 3D Platformer game (Think Jak and Daxter)
Key Mechanics:
Jumping
DoubleJump
Basic Melee Attack (2 types maybe an AoE type and a direct forward)
Basic AI Melee Attack with Character Chase
Collectibles

Bonus feature: Maybe a small ledge grab, pull up.

Thanks for your contribution