Whats needed?

Hello!

So, as topic says. Whats needed?

The reason i ask is that i have an idea, a concept, of a game that id like to work on and to make it possible over time.
And yeah, im gonna stick with UE4 and by looking at some videos of whats being created inside the engine i think its pretty **** awesome.

But now to the question, what do i need to create a game?

Here are some inputs:

• Will be an mmorpg
  • Creating my own characters, species and so on from scratch.
  • The world of the game (textures, trees, cities and so on.)
  • Audio production (former music producer, so have knowledge here already.)
  • Servers?
  • Prototype (show my game, idea and concept to friends and others)
  • Laws?
  • Website (have enough experience to create basic websites)
  • And money ofc, but that isnt really an issue.

Would appreciate your answers, experience and tips.
“dont tell me i cant do it, since thats not really an issue after having played for thousands of music loving people even tho i “couldnt” do that either.”

I’ll chime in before the comments containing “If you have to ask, you’ll never know” pop up, I guess. First of all, I’d say you’ve - for the most part - answered your question already. You’re list contains most - if not all - of what you’ll actually require.

Initially, you’ll need an idea. That’s of course where it all begins. You’ll need a storyline, with a plot, characters and so forth. A massively multiplayer online game is rather complex and far-reaching. You need to keep players entertained for hundreds upon hundreds of hours. Otherwise, it’s really not going to work, is it? As such, this is where it starts. Once you have this, you can move on.

Next up, is putting the idea into motion. From what I can tell, you don’t have any experience with game development. This is a massive undertaking. Unless you plan to learn how to program, model, texture and animate yourself, then you’re going to need to hire people for this. That in itself is incredibly expensive. Especially considering the amount of assets and depth a MMO requires. Though, don’t get me wrong - it can be done. You’ll simply need the drive, time and money to do it. Most, realistically speaking, will bail rather quickly, though.

To be honest, some of what you’ve mentioned really isn’t important this early on. At this point, I wouldn’t worry about audio production or a website. That’s not super important at this early stage. You can worry about that much later. Similarly, I’m not sure how many “laws” you’d have to concern yourself with as of the moment. Unless you are considering basing the game on a storyline written by someone else - such as a popular movie or book, for example. Though, I doubt that’s what you’ll be doing here, anyway.

Eventually, if you develop the game and consider a subscription-based model (though, most MMO titles are actively moving away from this, and going free-to-play), then you’ll likely have to concern yourself with this more. People pay for a certain service, so you’d want to be legally secure, were you to no longer be able to provide it. However, again, I’d not even worry about this at such an early stage.

You will most definitely need servers. And, certainly, it would be wise to consider this infrastructure as early as possible. You’ll potentially need a large amount of them. That of course, ultimately depends on the success of your game, in part, though. It’s always good to be forward-thinking, though. This part, can be rather expensive, to say the least and you’ll want to do some research on that front if you’re serious.

I’m not sure what else to say, really. You’ve asked for essentially an overview. If there’s something more specific you’d like an answer on, I’ll be happy to assist. In the short, though, developing a game of this scale is possible. But, these kind of projects pop up all the time and almost always fail. Though, there are exceptions. They’re simply few and far between. If you have the money, which you’ve said “isn’t really an issue”, though, it is more than possible. Just don’t expect it to be a quick or easy journey.

Heya!

Thanks for the answer.

The reason i made the list, is how to work with it, what do i need to do it and so on.

This weekend i was checking sculpture programs, wich ones to use and what i was looking for and how to achieve it.
I checked out 3d Coat, Blender and ZBrush. Ive came to the conclusion that ZBrush will be the one i will work with and that will be able to do the things i need.

Now im trying to figure out wich program to work with for animation and rigging, was checking Maya, 3ds Max and also checking Mixamo (wich doesnt really support the things i want it to do yet).
I know that you can do rigging in ZBrush aswell, but im not sure if that will be enough and detailed enough to work for characters and creatures (running, jumping, attacking and so on.)

But what other programs is there to consider, work with.
I also was considering using SpeedTree to simplify the making of some envoirment assets and details. But are there other stuff that might work the same aswell. SpeedTree looked really nice and easy to understand.

My idea, or concept, is in my head and on paper. But it will also evolve during the time i spend to create this.
I know what i want and will put alot of time into it aswell with money.

But as you said, there are certain things i dont really have to worry about today, tomorrow or even in 6 months.
But i was thinking about creating a prototype, small, have some of my friends and gaming friends to test it out. See how they like it and after that show it to some other people that might be intressed in making this happening.

Its gonna be a subscription based game, but a very small amount so that mostly everyone can afford to play it.
I dont wanna go into a free-2-play basis, as ive seen how that goes and how bad its actually is for games, its decreasing the playerbase and everyone becomes a cash-grab.

So if i start small, lets say i make an area, with a starting zone, city and some stuff. Present it to my friends so that they get the idea of it, see how it works.

Yeah, what i wanted to know more specific about is what to think of, what programs is actually useful to have next to me, like ZBrush for an example for sculpting and modelling.

And thanks again for the answer. :slight_smile:

No problem. You’re welcome. I’ll try and answer some of your additional questions contained within the above post for you =)

To create assets you’ll certainly need a number of programs. Most artists don’t stick to one, as each has its own strength. You’ve already named several, including zBrush, Maya and 3ds Max. They’re some of the most widely used professional tools, but there’s also a number of free alternatives, such as Blender.

Traditionally speaking, most people - including myself - will use zBrush for sculpting uses alone. We’ll either create a model in Maya / Max and bring it into to zBrush, or create a mesh from directly within the application itself. There’s a number of ways to do that - the ZSphere method being one of them.

Quite honestly, I don’t know many people who actively use zBrush’s animation or rigging tools in a development scenario, especially within the game industry. I’ve never used them personally, so can’t comment on their flexibility, I’m afraid. I can’t imagine they’re as full-fledged as Maya, though, for example - which is widely used for this purpose.

My pipeline, and the way I work, is to create a low-poly model in Maya, which I can then take into zBrush and sculpt to add detail. After which, I take it back out and bake out the maps. This allows for the poly count to be kept low, whilst not skimping on the quality and detail of the finished product. There’s a large amount of people who use this workflow, and video explanations on the general process can be found all over YouTube and the like.

You’ll also want to consider texturing. This can be done in a number of applications, as well. You could use 3DCoat or Substance Painter which provide for an interactive workflow, allowing you to “paint” directly onto your model and even over seams with ease. There’s also the option of using Photoshop. The latter option also allows you to import your model and paint onto it directly - but, it is worth noting it isn’t quite as flexible or user-friendly as Substance Painter or 3DCoat, in my opinion. It can also be sluggish at times, to be honest. Photoshop is best for simply painting directly onto your maps, I find. And, it is widely used throughout the industry as a standard.

As I’ve already touched on, I wouldn’t animate or rig directly within zBrush if it were me. I can’t imagine the workflow is flexible, at all. You’d be far better doing this in Maya, Max or Blender. Though, I’m hardly an animator and someone else might be able to chime in on the pros and cons of this more.

SpeedTree is especially useful, I find. Though, it does have limitations. You’d be best using it for foliage - which, as the name suggests, is its forte. I’d not see much use for it outside of this scenario, though. And, unless you plan to work with its base trees alone, you’ll still want to bulk up on your modelling skills.

You, generally speaking, have the right idea. Don’t rush into it. Start small and build up your skills. Create a small section or part of the overarching world at first. Use this to test and even springboard the game into full development. There’s a number of ways to put it into action - through Kickstarter or similar crowd-funding platforms, for example. That, or even an indie grant.

It would be worth noting, that realistically, most people have a specific area that they are “designed for”, I would say. Some people make fantastic 3D artists, whilst some are better versed for programming. It’s unlikely that you’ll be able to grasp everything from the get-go, and some parts might not agree with you at all. There are, of course, exceptions and some people - many here on these forums - seem to be more than capable of balancing it all with superb results. But, don’t worry if there’s something you can’t wrap your head around - other people can and luckily, a fair share of them are available for hire! :wink:

Outside of the artsy side of things, there’s the programming and foundation of the game itself. The framework. Unreal Engine uses C++, but it also has the user-friendly function of Blueprints, as well. This can be a fantastic starting point, and is a key attraction for many. Though, if you don’t plan to dive into any of this yourself, you could, again, hire someone to handle that aspect of the development. There’s even a MMO Starter Kit available for purchase here, which would no doubt be ideal to build upon.

However, how you wish to begin is entirely up to you. You can do it all from scratch or you can buy a number of assets to speed up the initial production, allowing you to get something workable in place quickly. It all depends on time and money available at your disposal.

As previously mentioned, if there’s something else you’d like to know, ask away and I’m sure I - or someone else - will be happy to help out =)