Nvidia Multi Res Shading FOr VR

So I read recently that this MRS that nvidia has developed for VR is “Availiable Now!”. Is this something that’s already integrated in 4.11? How do get it workin’? It claims to increase performance by up to 50%, so I’d like to know how to turn it on!!

“Then there’s the very under-rated multi-res shading. VR optics have a much higher pixel density in the center of the screen. It wasteful to render the peripheral at that same resolution. They’ve recently advanced enough with Multi-res shading that they’ve been able to add it to Unreal Engine 4 and it’s resulting in 50 percent reductions in the GPU power needed.”

From Nvidia message board

It is “supposed” to be in GameWorks VR in UE 4.11 as you mention:

Edit: Doesn’t appear to be in UE4 4.11 Preview 1

It’s part of Nvidia GameWorks VR:
https://developer.nvidia.com/virtual-reality-development

Nvidia GameWorks VR slides:

Other than that, I’m not sure, let me check the VXGI and HBAO+ Nvidia GameWorks Github.
Edit: Nope, not there.

So maybe someone can clarify where the GameWorks VR is or will be in UE4. Cheers :slight_smile:

If one of the Gods at Epic could help us out with how to/if/when it will be implemented it would be greatly appreciated. Optimization when creating for VR is the king of all headaches, so something that could potentially increase performance by up to 50% sounds pretty **** interesting!
I downloaded GameWorks VR & it seems to run some type of demo in a roman temple where you control the amount of MRS. I cranked it up to maximum and couldn’t see any degradation in image quality. If that means a significant performance improvement, I’m In!!!

I’d also like to know if multires is now fully integrated into 4.11 without a github pull. According to the latest nVidia blog post, “Unreal Engine 4.11 is now available with Multi-Res Shading”. Can an Epic dev conform this? Is a github pull still required? Does it require VR Works SDK to be integrated? How is it enabled?

It’s not in the default 4.11. You need to grab the Nvidia fork. https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/tree/MultiRes-4.11 make sure you are logged into github when you click that link

Do you konw where to enable the vr.MultiRes ? Thanks!

It should either be by default when you use that branch or you can try console command for that. I have it downloaded at the moment but haven’t actually ran it yet to test.

im having problems with preview for vr in multi res 4.11
Its grayed out, however all my other projects using normal 4.11 work fine.

Im using an oculus rift dk2 with the or sdk 0.8

any ideas?

Is this ever going to be merged into the main branch?

logged in, still seems like a broken link

Not just logged in, your github account also needs to be linked to your epic account (follow these directions): Unreal Engine on GitHub

Has anyone updated the fork to 4.15? How much work was it? It’d be nice if it was in the default engine build by now Epic.

It’s here: https://github.com/NvPhysX/UnrealEngine/tree/VRWorks-Graphics-4.15

Any idea what the console commands to enable/disable multi-res shading are?

Edit: found it straight away.

vr.multiresrendering = 3

And then turn it on in Project Settings as well.

I’m running into some major post process problems. It looks like the post-process pass is not receiving the same post-warp as the rest of the scene, so it’s all out of alignment. Does anyone know about fixing this?

I also have this problem, but it seems this would require changing stuff in the source code.

It would seem like the post-process stage needs to happen before the multires warp adjustment takes place. I can have a look but I’m not a big fan of the RHI. Does anyone have any hints?

And 5 years later… seriously it’s still not included into the main Unreal Engine branch? :man_facepalming:

Variable rate shading is included in recent Unreal versions, it requires a graphics card with tier 2 VRS support though.