User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eXi's Sound Visualization Plugin (works in cooked builds)

Mythic

eXi's Sound Visualization Plugin (works in cooked builds)

Hey there!

The 4.12 Version is out now! (: And of course it's still FREE!

(But you can DONATE! to me if you want (: )

If you want to know more, make sure to watch the videos beneath and read the tutorial on how to use and install it!

Download 4.12 from the Downloadlink via Github: Hit me! (Download ZIP on the upper right)

Download the 4.12 Sound Test Map from here: Click me!

Download 4.11 from the Downloadlink via Github: Hit me! (Download ZIP on the upper right)

Download the 4.11 Sound Test Map from here: Click me!

Download 4.10 from the Downloadlink via Github: Hit me! (Download ZIP on the upper right)

Make sure to scroll down and read the instructions tab!

Videos (4.10 Version, but still showing what it can do):

Spoiler: 

Known Issues:

Issue:

When closing the Editor (or the Game/Project) in the process of Loading and Decompressing a File, you will find yourself crashing.
    This is due to Pointers being cleared that the Decompress Stuff (inside of the Engine) needs.

Solution:

For now, don't close while decompressing. I can't change the way the Engine Decompresses stuff ):

FAQ:

Spoiler: 

Q: Am I allowed to use this in my commercial game?
    A: Yes, of course!

Q: Am I allowed to change the code and add new stuff etc.?
    A: Yes, of course! And I would be really happy if you could share the new stuff you implement, so others can also profit from it!

Q: Is this really free?
    A: Yes, of course!

Q: Does it work even if I package my game ready to be shipped?
    A: Yes, of course! (not yet tested in 4.11 / 4.12)

Q: What files can I load?
    A: For now the Sound-Files need to by .ogg files. You can easily convert them with all kinds of programs and .ogg files can still be played by most Media Players.

Q: Will there be more data types in the future?
    A: Well, maybe, I just wanted it to work, so I only added .ogg files for now. If you manage to load compressed data
    for other file types and decompress them, then please share the code so we can get this into the plugin!

Q: Can I filter different frequencies with this?
    A: Yes, of course! This is the main feature right now. You can filter it from Sub-Bass, over Middle up to Brilliance and Presence (0 to 22000hz).

Q: Can I get the BPM of my song?
    A: No, not yet. I need to read up on the calculations and add that functionality later. (Or you can and share the code (: )

Q: Can I thank you with money?
    A: Yes you can. Just visit this page and you can donate to my Paypal account: DONATE!

Feature list and pictures of available nodes (4.11/4.12):

- Load .ogg file from HDD
    - Load sound names and file paths from HDD to display list of sound
    - Get frequency spectrum of a loaded Sound
    - Get specific frequency values by using the calculated frequency spectrum
    - Start/Pause/Resume/Stop your Sound and Frequency Calculation through the build in Player
    - And more. See Extended Feature-List.

Extended Feature-List with Pictures: Click me!

Instructions via GitHub Readme::

4.12: Click me and read me!

4.11: Click me and read me!

4.10: Click me and read me!

Example usage:

Example Project (4.10 ONLY!): Hit me!

Really short video in my twitter post (4.11): Hit me!

Really short video in my twitter post (4.10): Hit me!

If something is not clear or what ever please just post here and i will try to change it (:
    Last edited by eXi; 06-07-2016 at 11:32 AM.
    Open for contracted work | Blueprints | UE4++/C++ | Training | VR | My Website

My UE4 Blog/Page with Free Learning Projects and more: Hit me for ALL the things!

BP Multiplayer Lobby System: [Released] Support Thread! | BP Multiplayer Crafting System: [Released] Support Thread!

10/10 flawless victory; I have no words. Good job!
    KITATUS
    "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Thanks for this very cool plugin

This looks really promising. Can't wait to try it out in a project!

perfect, thanks

Awesome work eXi!
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Mythic

Here is a quite cool showcase video:

And another one:

Last edited by eXi; 12-21-2015 at 06:22 PM.

My UE4 Blog/Page with Free Learning Projects and more: Hit me for ALL the things!

BP Multiplayer Lobby System: [Released] Support Thread! | BP Multiplayer Crafting System: [Released] Support Thread!

This is great and I can't wait to use it!

Thanks for the free package, I've been in need for something like this for ages. However, when I try to run your example with any .ogg song it doesn't work, the cubes height only updates once. Do you know why this might happen? (I haven't modified anything other than the song path for my own song.)

EDIT: Nvm, seems to be a PIE bug (it only works once, then I have to restart the engine) as it works as expected when playing on standalone game.
    Last edited by DylanVelezDev; 12-22-2015 at 03:22 AM.

Mythic

Oh yeah it's an PIE bug. I'm sorry, i was so focused on getting the release done, that i haven't put up a "Known Issues" page.

Here you go:

Issue:
    In PIE (and i don't know why yet), when you press stop, and then Play again, you need to load the song a second time.

So AFTER pressing Stop and Play, the FIRST loading doesn't work. I guess this is due to some pointer management and the fact that the PIE
    does not completely shutdown. In your Packaged Game, the Problem will no be there, since the game either runs or not.

Solution:
    Just load the song a second time, when using PIE and after stopping the game, and it should work again!
    This is only needed if you played and stopped. After you hit Play again and loaded the song twice, the next songs will
    work normally until you stop it again. But as i said, only a PIE bug right now.
    Last edited by eXi; 12-22-2015 at 07:19 AM.

hey exi,

do i need ue 4.10 to run your tutorial? when i want to run it with 4.9.2 it starts compiling, when finished the editor crashes on loading the project. thx
    Last edited by olek; 12-23-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Mythic

Yop, the Plugin is compiled in 4.10.

I can try to compile it for 4.9, but that has to wait till after Christmas (:

cool thanks, i would like to use it with galaxyman's nvidia gameworks branch. he isnt ready with 4.10 so if it isnt to much of a hassle it would be really cool to have the plug working with 4.9.2. btw the plugin is working great with 4.10. thx again and have a nice xmas.

Mythic

Would you mind trying out this 4.9.2 Version?

I don't know if that really worked, because it went "too" well

https://github.com/eXifreXi/eXiSoundVis4_9_2

hey exi, its working with vanilla 4.9.2 but not with galaxyman's branch. i had to rebuild it on my own but now its working. thx for your time

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by olek View Post
    hey exi, its working with vanilla 4.9.2 but not with galaxyman's branch. i had to rebuild it on my own but now its working. thx for your time
    Awesome (:

Also: Ready for the drop? New showcase video!

This is so cool
    Thank you a dazillion times.
    When i have space on todo list, i will use it for sure.
    My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff
    UE brings Math back into my life or i am not sure.

Hi exi, I'm trying to create a custom playlist with your plugin (the user can select songs from their device) the problem is I don't know how could I access the device storage (windows, android, ios) and get a list of files filtered by extension (.ogg). Do you have a hint as to how to implement that feature? I might try to do it and submit it for your inspection if you like, but so far I've only found the FPaths class on the engine but It doesn't help much.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by DylanVelezDev View Post
    Hi exi, I'm trying to create a custom playlist with your plugin (the user can select songs from their device) the problem is I don't know how could I access the device storage (windows, android, ios) and get a list of files filtered by extension (.ogg). Do you have a hint as to how to implement that feature? I might try to do it and submit it for your inspection if you like, but so far I've only found the FPaths class on the engine but It doesn't help much.
    For windows, there is already a node in my plugin that gives you an array of all files in a directory that you or the user specifies.
    You can let the node return the full path to each file so you just need to create a button for each entry in the array and pass that button the string.

If the player presses the button, you use the String with the load song from hdd node and that's it.

But can't say how that works with Android. Don't even know if that whole plugin works with android.

This looks freaking awesome. I want to use it in my game's rave room. Let's see what happens!

Great work!
    I just have one question. Is there any way to play songs from withing the path of the project? Like the relative path
    Also, I cannot import ogg files in unreal so is there a workaround for that?

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by SethPDA View Post
    Great work!
    I just have one question. Is there any way to play songs from withing the path of the project? Like the relative path
    The Path to load a file needs to be absolute at the moment. But loading file names with the second function that returns the array of strings will use the GameDirectory
    if "AbsolutePath" is unticked.

Also, I cannot import ogg files in unreal so is there a workaround for that?
    Hm, not currently. The Plugin is made to load sound files from the Harddrive, since it's in a special need of the ogg file, sorry ):

Quote Originally Posted by eXi View Post
    The Path to load a file needs to be absolute at the moment. But loading file names with the second function that returns the array of strings will use the GameDirectory
    if "AbsolutePath" is unticked.
    I have tried making this work, but the editor always crashes for some reason. Could you show a blueprint which can successfully load an .ogg file from the game directory(relative)?

Hm, not currently. The Plugin is made to load sound files from the Harddrive, since it's in a special need of the ogg file, sorry ):
    If this is the case, this means that the plugin can use ogg files even from the game directory, even if Unreal cannot import ogg files?
    I'm a bit confused...

Mythic

I have tried making this work, but the editor always crashes for some reason. Could you show a blueprint which can successfully load an .ogg file from the game directory(relative)?
    I already posted a working test project. (:

If this is the case, this means that the plugin can use ogg files even from the game directory, even if Unreal cannot import ogg files?
    I'm a bit confused...
    Yes. But the files are loaded runtime ingame. It's a difference between importing a file and loading it runtime.

Samaritan
    I gotta try This, I am using 4.9 so i have to wait till i update
    Great work eXi!
    One question: is it possible to analyze more than one file at a time, for a multi-track effect for example
    Keep up the excellence!

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by catalejo View Post
    I gotta try This, I am using 4.9 so i have to wait till i update
    Great work eXi!
    There is a 4.9.2 version, which someone requested already. Though it seems not not work for him :X
    But the vanilla 4.9.2 version should work, so just give it a try: https://github.com/eXifreXi/eXiSoundVis4_9_2

Quote Originally Posted by catalejo View Post
    One question: is it possible to analyze more than one file at a time, for a multi-track effect for example
    Keep up the excellence!
    Nope, not currently. I tried to save the stuff in an array but got huge problems with my memory stuff.
    Pointer are annoying sometimes, so i left it at only one single data pointer.

I already posted a working test project. (:
    Yes but that project uses only the "SV Load sound file from HD" , which is working just great!
    But the project does not use the "SV Load all sound file names from HD" which is causing me the headache...
    As you told me before, it is the only way(so far) to load songs from a relative path so I'm still confused.
    So here is what I want.
    Let's say that I have my project folder in C:\Myproject
    If I put the .ogg file in C:\Myproject\Content and somehow load it from there relatively, can I package the game so the .ogg file also get's packaged inside the game?

I had a quick look into it and it was like "aaaah" and "oooh". So cool stuff everywhere
    My small game on IndieDB ****** Beams on Twitter ****** Beams on Steam ****** VideoStuff ****** PictureStuff
    UE brings Math back into my life or i am not sure.

Mythic

Yes but that project uses only the "SV Load sound file from HD" , which is working just great!
    But the project does not use the "SV Load all sound file names from HD" which is causing me the headache...
    As you told me before, it is the only way(so far) to load songs from a relative path so I'm still confused.
    So here is what I want.
    Let's say that I have my project folder in C:\Myproject
    If I put the .ogg file in C:\Myproject\Content and somehow load it from there relatively, can I package the game so the .ogg file also get's packaged inside the game?
    Oh sorry, then i didn't understand you last post. I will show you an example from the Project i use to record the videos:

This is an old version of the node. The new one directly returns the string array, so just ignore the fact that i needed to get the Array from the SoundViz PluginRef.

The setup of the node above will give you all files with ".ogg" extension, will return the FULLPATH, so not only the Filename, and will not use an absolute path, but a relative one.

Which means: Get all "Path + Filenames.ogg" from the folder "/Songs" in the Game Directory. (Game Directory in editor is the Project one. Exactly where the .uproject file is)

So if you put your .ogg files in the "Content" folder of your Game, you would use the above setup and use "/Content" instead of "/Songs". This will return an array with

• C:/Myproject/Content/Song1.ogg
    • C:/Myproject/Content/Song2.ogg
    • C:/Myproject/Content/Song3.ogg
    • etc.

And you can use these with the "Load...from Harddrive" to load a song.

I have no idea if the packaging process will keep the Songfiles in that folder. I've never tested that. I only tested if the whole Analyzing part works in packaged builds, which
    was more important to me. But in the end, it would just be a song file in your packaged content folder (since you can't use the pak version of packaging here).
    So what keeps you from moving the song into that folder AFTER packaging?

The whole idea of the plugin is, to give users the ability to load songs from their harddrive. So to enable the player to chose the song they want to use in the game.
    Like Audiosurf. At least the CURRENT version is meant to do this.
    Last edited by eXi; 12-31-2015 at 08:24 AM.

i did try to get it and i did all but i got this error

Name:  error.jpg
Views: 10586
Size:  88.9 KB

my engine is 4.8.3

Update to 4.10.
    It will work.

Samaritan
    Thanks a whole metric ton with some spillover, eXi! I was utilizing the Epic plugin for my project for some time and when I got to the point of testing packaging and sending out pre-alpha tests, learned the hard way the plugin didn't work in cooked builds. I freaked out since my project is very much built around music and music visualization, so I was really relieved and amazed I lucked out to find your plugin. I was back up and running within hours after migrating over to your plugin. I'll be sure to share my usage in this thread later and will be listing you in credits/thanks sections in readme files and game credits screens.

Now, that PIE bug is a real headache. Slows down testing iterations a lot! I just re-read your fix and will be trying that out. If I understand correctly, we just need to re-load the song?

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to sync loaded songs to the analayzer. I managed to get a basic music player going, with skip forward/backward, but even with time offsets the analyzer doesn't want to use the right times. I'm sure it's something I'm doing. Another thing to note, is that using a capped frame-rate, vsync, or smoothed frame-rate throws everything out of whack as far as timing. I don't even know where to start with that, but thought I'd mention it. I know I can fix it somehow, but seems like something that should be in future versions of the plugin?

Anyhow, thanks again and I look forward to sharing how I put this bad-boy to use!

[edit]
    Just tested and confirmed that starting/stopping/starting a song fixes the PIE bug. I tried a simple start/stop/start on BeginPlay, as well as a start/stop on BeginPlay then a start on keypress. Yay!
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Derjyn; 01-05-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Mythic

Yeah, a lot you have mentioned will be needed to be fixed.

But you need to understand that this is for free and open to change. If anyone feels like adding a pull request, just do it!

I don't have the time to work 24/7 on this. Got another big project running and need to watch over my Marketplace Projects.
    So there won't be an update any time soon (despite making it work with 4.11 when it comes out).

The PIE "bug" only happens like this:

1. Start the Project in Editor
    2. Start the Game
    3. Load Song
    4. Works
    5. Stop the Game
    6. Start the Game again
    7. Load Song
    8. Song plays, but analyzing doesn't work.
    *fix*
    7.1. Load Song again

When you restart the whole Editor, you will start back at 1.
    So the first time after starting always works. The on going times you will need to load a song twice

BUT! only the first time. If you press Play, load a song twice and then load another song, that "third" one will also work.
    So it's just the initial load after stop/start of the game.

Still don't know why, but as it does not happen in the packaged game, i'm not that interested in spending time fixing it right now, sorry.

As for "skip forward/backward". Make sure you insert the correct time.
    The Analyze function always has the same timewindow, but different starting times.

What i do is "starting a timer" or "Saving the GameTimeInSeconds when starting the song and using OldGameTimeInSeconds - CurrentGameTimeInSeconds".
    These two things would give you a running timer for the "StartTime" parameter.

Maybe you got NOT use the GameTimeInSeconds, but use a float variable that you count up in the Tick of the Actor you are using.
    Then you could just add the DeltaSeconds to it and frame lags would not through off the time. At least i think that could work.

That's pretty awesome. Instead of reading a loaded song, do you think it would be possible to read song that play on the computer? For exemple, to visualise song that play on itunes or other live music program.

Mythic

Well, it should be possible to read filestreams, but not as it is now :P

Samaritan
    Hey, thanks eXi. I did get track skipping working, using a pretty similar method to what you explained. I built in a stop/play function, with stop/start times being set and a skip track function. Skip track stops current sound, sets the new one, then plays. Visualization references differences in stop/start, as well as a boolean for "song playing". I'd post some screens of my blueprint as an example for others, if it weren't so intertwined with other elements that would be confusing...

I wanted to wait until it hit alpha, but I figure this thread is deserving of a first public peek of my project, "Ultra Puck Battle". I set a goal to make 3 clones, but add elements that expand on the core gameplay, as well as visual flair. Utlra Puck Battle and the next 2 projects wouldn't be possible without this plugin. When I went to ship the first pre-alpha builds to testers, that's when I learned that the Epic experimental visualizer wouldn't work with shipped builds. Not trying to hijack this thread or self-promote, but wanted to show an example of this plugin being used in a project.

This is so awesome!!!!Thank you!!!

Using the example scene, the project will always crash at the end of the sound file. This happens in PIE or a packaged build. Anyone else having this issue?

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Stale Cheese Platter View Post
    Using the example scene, the project will always crash at the end of the sound file. This happens in PIE or a packaged build. Anyone else having this issue?
    At the end of the soundfile? Would you mind reproducing that and linking me a pastebin.com version of your crashstack/log?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast