Space Shooter (Starter Kit/Tutorial)

So I’ve seen a few people asking about the space shooter starter kit that was seen in a few early videos released by Epic. Not sure if they decided to scrap it or release it later. Any way, I have taken the example they put in the Content Example pack and created my own. Its nothing much, but i thought it would help some people out. Everything is done with Blueprints.

what i have so far!

you need to do is create a new blank project. Name it what every you want. You don’t need the starting assets so you can choose to add them or not. Close UE4 and download these files here!

Or Here!

Unpack and install them in the new project folder you just created. You can find the folder in your Documents/Unreal Projects/Name of your Project. Just copy everything in here. Start up UE4 and you should see a project called UFO_Project_Test. Open that up and you should be good to go.

Controls
W,A,S,D to move.
Mouse to rotate.
SPACEBAR to increase elevation.
C to decrease elevation.
LEFT SHIFT to Boost.
LEFT Mouse Button for beam,
RIGHT Mouse Button for rockets.

Its not much but it’s a start. Hope this helps someone!

EDIT! DoorStop has been nice enough to create some more mirrors for downloads!

Awesome! Cheers ! :smiley:

YES! Thanks a lot man! This was just what I was looking for! Downloading now. I’ll let you know what I think after!

Great excellent work dude!

Now if you’re up for a challenge, how about adding 360 pitch/roll/yaw in 1st person? :wink:

I’ve been working on trying to do that and it’s real tricky.

Again, great job !

Ok, I’m having problems getting it to work. I did everything as you said I think…

When you copy of the assets into the new project folder, do you replace of the previous items already there?

Nothing is showing up except for the Blueprints. And pressing play doesn’t yield the results I wanted.

EDIT: Never mind, I’m dumb… :stuck_out_tongue: I just needed to open the actual level. And from what I’ve done, you don’t need to create a new project, just extract the project into your Unreal Projects folder.

By the way, it works great! I wonder how well this would transition into a Starfox type game or even a top-down shoot-em-up… I’m going to try the later first! If anyone has any tips for me, I’d appreciate it. I’m still kinda new at this…

Just DLing now - I’ll let you know if I have the same problem.

Yeah this isn’t working for me either. Not sure what’s going on. When I open the project I just get the usual table and chairs stuff… hmmm.

in the editor click on file>>>open level>>>>UFO_Test.umap

Should work for you then. Cheers

Ah yeah, brilliant! Thanks .

Thanks for the nice tutorial!

No worries… glad I could clarify it for of ya. Thanks for the tut

Hello,
gerat work!
Just want to try… But :
Error (509)
This account’s public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Very cool stuff shame Dropbox is out.

the best

Greg

Awesome stuff! Is it ok to use the blueprints if people make a game from it?

D@mn Dropbox. :frowning:
Any mirrors per chance?

Thanks , could you please upload the project files to a file host Rapidshare or Uploaded? I’m also getting;

Working on setting up another file host. Not sure if I’ll have it done before i go to work so it might be a few hours untill i can get to it. Thanks.

I uploaded them to a few places to help out

UFO_Project_Test.rar

usp=sharing

I love to see this community growing fast. It burns!

Thank you for sharing this!

Thanks Doorstop! Love this community! Good People!