Complete Skyrim Like Inventory Tutorial

After days of work I have completed Skyrim like inventory tutorial. You can check it out here for free:

2 Likes

Seriously awesome and comprehensive tutorial you’ve got here @intoxicat3! Amazing work :smiley:

nice done … good job dude!

@intoxicat3 - BTW, for the GrabItem screenshots, it only links to grabitem_01 rather than having the link to grabitem_02 as well.

This is the image that isn’t linked:

This looks awesome!! as usual xD

I will definitely be going through this at some point. I really like your tutorials, so please keep up the great work! :slight_smile:

Thanks for heads up. Fixed!

I figured out everything by myself, but there are some flaws in the tutorial you need to correct

And that’s my goal - if you do it by yourself you will learn much more than watching and copying youtube tutorial.

can you please tell me where are the issues? From my side everything is working without errors/warnings. UI_OnSelected - you need to pass item reference to it.

Thats true actually, I learned alot trying to fix the gaps :slight_smile:
But firstly I am using truesky build, and in the truesky build the “skydome” is infinite so I had to manufacture my own way of rendering the objects in the inventory preview. I built a blueprint with a room with closed walls and unlit textures (as to get no light leak) and used it to encapsule the Rendertarget.

My other issue was that only the ALL button was visible, but I fixed it simply by in the master weapon class and all the master category classes to define the ID and NAME as what category class it was. so Weapon with Weapon as ID and NAME.

I also connected the Completed node into the sequence where it adds the category buttons. And that plus the ID/NAME change fixed the issue og the categories not showing up.

I should note that I used 4.9 and not 4.10 and that probably added to the issues at first but I found ways to work around it. There were some more issues that I fixed but I can’t remeber them purely from thought, I need to open my project and

It cannot work in multiplayer, right? If i not wrong Object and subclasses cannot be replicated

So awesome.Thank you!!!

For anyone who didn’t quite get that

Edit, The tutorial is unfinished. You never show how you set ActualSelectedItem in UI_Inventory. I had to get rid of this being the struct. and i changed it to be an item reference then i changed some of the code through out to allow for such a change and it now works halfway. It finally shows selected item type info in ui_inventory item preview but not the actual item info when it’s selected.

The things i cannot get to work are: Interactivity with items, the traces succeed but the physic handle does nothing. dropping of items, items being consumed when used and lastly the updating of the right side umg stuff, like mesh preview, and the info from the selected item, when in ui_inventory. I suspect it’s from ActualSelectedItem, but there is not enough information from you to finish it like it’s finished in the video.

Honestly, this at first looked really great, but the end half is really just thrown together, it’s very hard to follow after you start with the umg stuff. Granted i had no problem, but i can see this being far too advanced for someone who doesn’t already know how to make a similar system.

I should say, i triple checked all of my functions, there is a 1 to 1 system and these are the problems i have.

@SaxonRah - I suspect the physics handle not working may be due to lack of the required code on Tick - if you check out the basic “physics handle pick up” tutorial on the forums, it has some stuff in Tick that updates the physics handle.

From my own tests using that tutorial, that was the key to making it actually do something when you pick stuff up. I looked over @intoxicat3’s tutorial but couldn’t find anything like that on Tick, so that may be your issue with the physics.

There is that stuff in the GrabItem Custom Event. it doesn’t seem to be working though, no errors or anything, maybe i effed something up, ill re follow the tutorial again. It’s a nice base system so far though.

edit: I restarted my project and now i see the item in the inventory and it updates the render target as well as the umg widget, and i can rotate the item around like normal.

I have a feeling it was some weird bug with source control maybe ? idk it works now.

Only thing that doesn’t work now is the physics handle in the world. still no idea. hmm. nvm oddly, it randomly works now. Im not sure what’s going on, but restarting multiple times during this tutorial was necessary.

Still though, after everything randomly working, dropping items doesn’t work.

Make sure that the handle has Release Component called on it whenever the drop event happens.

SaxonRah, as he stated;

The person even asked

I gave him my issues from following it, 1 to 1. I’m not looking for help, I already have a similar system in C++. I was just trying to help the person with their tutorial.

This is just…amazing. Thank you for this. Great work

Thanks a lot for this!
I followed the tutorial and with some modifications(i might have missed a step or two) i got it working :slight_smile: