User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elium - Prison Escape

Elium - Prison Escape

it's time to bring this thread back, now on these forums. I've been posting my stuff only into twitter lately but I'd like to expand it to gain a little more focus - especially as the game is only some months away from completion

Elium - Prison Escape is a single-player medieval-fantasy action dungeon crawler.
    It combines skill-based melee combat with dungeon exploration in randomized environments.

Teaser Trailer:

Here's a rundown of some of the major features:
    • 1stPerson / 3rdPerson melee action combat: Fight with a sword, equip a shield, use your fists or even resort to fight with objects around you.
    • Action and Stealth playing styles: Hide in the shadows, turn off lights and sneak past enemies, or take your opponents by force
    • Alone or with help: Explore and fight on your own or rescue other prisoners to aid in your escape
    • Random dungeon generation: a new level layout every time the game is played, assembled from a set of hand-crafted areas

if you like it remember to follow and share on Twitter and Facebook

This is some of my latest progress, a torture room with a prisoner. the cool thing is the prisoner hangs to the chain but they both have ragdoll physics
    I was happy that this picture made the IOTD on gamedev

Name:  etortured.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  782.2 KB
    Last edited by Chosker; 01-10-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    Help me back! follow me on Twitter

Developer of Elium - Prison Escape

well there's no slapping move but there's running into, punching, kicking, slashing or dismembering him alright

Torture without slapping are no torture :P

I am scared of the background.
    Shadow maps in dark light are very good.

gaz: thanks the lighting is all dynamic (torches can be put off)

here's some progress on a room I've been working: the dining room for the prison guards
    this room is located in the upper level (level 3 in the game). the particular feature of the upper level is the windows which let light through, which cannot be extinguished or blocked (while torches can)

I can't believe this thread was still on the first page

work on Elium continues of course!
    lately I've been spending some time on a graphical update, and now it's finished.

the improvement most worthy of a mention is an update to all materials in the game. I made a PBR approximation in all my materials (using the Schlick lighting model, Equirectangular reflection maps for nice blurry reflections, and a few minor hacks). but as the environments are all rock the improvement is extremely subtle most of the time (light spreads more softly), and only really shows when metal pieces like swords and armor come into view.
    still I'm quite happy with it

Yours is a project I've also been watching with interest. (btw big thanks for your tutorials they have helped me learn coding.)

Besides your excellent work to perfect sword interactions, and the shields - the lighting, the stonework is excellent. Characters with chain mail, amazing work, thanks for the inspiration.

thanks for the kind words Snipe
    it's really a lot of effort so if you like it spread the word!

hello again,

I recently started capturing some footage to prepare a trailer, here's one of the shots:

Nice.Looks a litle like the Thief series.The only thing i can advice is,if you plan on using dialog in the new trailer,i recommend searching for a free/cheap voice actor on youtube.
    The voice acting from the old first intro trailer,just sounds too young to me.I think the narrator needs more mystery/killer type voice maybe.

yeah thanks. the new trailer will be an action/gameplay one so it won't have any dialogue.
    but I will redo the intro dialogue anyway (it was my own voice and both the voice acting and the recording were bad). I'm testing with a friend that is doing other ingame voices but as the intro is the first thing you see I'll probably end up hiring someone for that

hey all,

I just launched the official @EliumGame on Twitter!
    I'm looking to build a fanbase so a follow would help me greatly

Here's a little something to go with it (another shot taken from trailer footage)

the game also offers a few places to use the environment as an advantage:

"Halls are rebuilt and rerouted regularly. Even the guards confuse the way out"

The prison constantly gets its shape changed as a security measure, so it's not uncommon to find rooms under construction

All games need to keep the player always nervous.
    So it's a really cool feature.

new update: here's a little action clip showing some combat
    https://twitter.com/EliumGame/status/810085465449725952

Kee Hoon Ahn: the levels don't change as you play, it just makes a new level if you restart the game (or die). not sure if you understood it that way

Very impressive. I like the parts where you use the environment to kill the enemy with the sword. I'm a big interactive game environment fan.

Merry Christmas and best wishes to all!

Ha ha! Merry Christmas!

Hey guys,
    here's a longer combat sequence to finish the year

It becomes clear that combats require to be specially careful with parrying, but mostly that each and every enemy is a challenge to overcome

I prefer shotguns so this is way too intimate for me although the realism of the parrying is captivating, and in fact it's bloody excellent!

Can't follow you on Twitter... don't have Twitter.

thanks Snipe34

Elium - Prison Escape is now on Facebook as well https://www.facebook.com/EliumGame/
    it doesn't have a lof of content yet but I'll push any news in there as well from now on

Infiltrator
    :O it's incredible, very well. Which version of UDK are you using?

Update: Teaser trailer is unveiled!

if you like it remember to follow and share on Twitter and Facebook

@CobaltUDK thanks

@jpnuclear thanks, using the last UDK version (Feb 2015)

I like the trailer Starts in a calm way and picks up litle by litle for the litle ammount of given time.The only thing that doesnt look too good to me is when the hero opens his eyes in 0:15.The pose and feel of the scene looks right.His eyes open good but his face doesnt provide the needed emotion when he opens the eyes.(litle lifeless).In my opinion it loud look good if you cut the part when he opens his eyes.Makes him feel blind or more mysterious that way(but that is just to me).

Trailer is ok for now, but the lead up to seeing the character is all dead time. Instead...
    Show the dungeon but lean / pan around corners to show at least one waiting guard.
    Then rush that guard from behind as before but show the run up before the attack.
    Then let another guard enter and cut to a full-on sword fight scene and fade out.
    Overall placing a hand on a wall would be more effective than showing character.
    Leave viewers wanting more, show Boss character / leave something for next time.

thanks for the comments. unfortunately this one is out in the open and it's not in my plans (and time estimations) to rework it.
    I still have a proper Trailer to make though, and for that one I think I will do more iterations based on peoples' opinions. So I'll definately ask here about it

Been a while since I showed updates here but here's the latest

The latest update to kicking enemies over ledges which causes them to trip and fall

The new axe weapon and chopping a head with it

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltUDK View Post
    Looks very realistic.
    Totally agree, realistic!

But add blood to that axe after the strike.
    @Snipe34 Please try to stay focused. TKBS

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe34 View Post
    But add blood to that axe after the strike.
    it's done now.
    every weapon gets blood painted as HitMask just like the victim. at the time of that gif there was just a small issue

Hi,

one of the many small improvements I've added recently: smashable pottery!
    which of course you can grab and use as a weapon

I Love UDK graphics they are just unique lol, you shall release a demo or something it would be cool .
    Some cool unreal projects you may like!

Developer of Gladiator Manager Ancient Ludus RTS Gladiator Fighting

Also GOTA - Survivalism Gladiatorial game

Become a c++ Professional now C++ Networking Tutorial

Awesome man, your game trully showcases the power that UDK still has to show off

I loved your game, I am sure it will be a masterpiece!!!

Cheers.

Smashable pottery definitely adds more depth. The animation reaction is cool too
    @Snipe34 Please try to stay focused. TKBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast