PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

------------------------------------------ PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D ------------------------------------------

Hello welcome to the Project: Unreal Fighter 2D thread!

Current version: 2.0 - (Feel free to visit Subscribestar Website below to check what’s new!)
Current Unreal Engine Version: 4.27

Personal Website: [LINK]
Subscribestar Website for Support and Download: [LINK]

Discord Server: [LINK]
Twitter: [LINK]
Youtube: [LINK]

• What is Unreal Fighter 2D?

UF2D is an upcoming Framework for Unreal Engine, allowing anyone to develop 2D Fighting Games or make Fighters/Stages to share with the community!

• Framework? How useful is it?

You can find small Templates everywhere to start making any game you want. However, UF2D includes all the systems required to make the game itself. I coded all the stuff that is needed, so you don’t have to. If there is anything lacking, it will be added by me in future releases as well!

• Unreal Engine and 2D?

Although unpopular, Unreal Engine actually allows us to make 2D games via its Paper2D Plugin. UF2D has an extension of Paper2D with the functions needed to make 2D Fighting Games. In the end what we have is not only a 2D system, but everything that an amazing 3D Engine can offer such as stages, particle effects and much more!

• I never coded and I have no idea how Unreal Engine works!

Then I got good news for you; UF2D is developed exactly for people like you. Knowing how Unreal Engine works is a plus but NOT a requirement. UF2D is made of Blueprints (Visual Scripting Language of Unreal Engine) and using it to make your game is the way to go as well. Most of the time you will be linking nodes to each other to achieve what you need. Here is a small example;

• Is UF2D open source? Can I add/modify stuff?

Since UF2D is done 95% Blueprints, everything is open source and you can check how I have coded things with explanations! Adding and / or modifying stuff is possible and nothing is inaccessible.

• How much will UF2D cost?

UF2D will cost only 5$ Subscribestar support per month to use. More support is welcomed but not requested. Depending on how Subscribestar will be successful, netcode support will arrive and other projects will be possible such as UF3D.

• How is UF2D being released?

At Release UF2D will include everything that is showcased so far. However not all the parts will have tutorials and explanations in Early-Access Phases. Subscribers will gain access to these. Each Phase will focus on different parts of the Framework. For example, Current Phase (Alpha 1.0+) will focus on Character Creation.

We will focus on developing Fighters as I clear bugs, add missing features if there is any etc. As this Phase gets very stable, I will be preparing tutorials and explanations for Second Phase which is about Stage Creation and so on.

Surely other parts I deem “untested by community” will be there. For example curious minds can check how Arcade Mode works but they need to know that the time to test it will come at a later date.

Eventually version 1.0 will declare “Stable for Game Creation” and Framework will become ready as time goes on but development will last forever. ^-^ (I am looking at you, Rollback Netcode.)

• Got more questions of mine!

Hop in to our Discord and ask away!

Cool Videos, unfortunatley I can’t watch the Battle System Progress here in Germany due to f*cking GEMA :confused:

Owh. I didn’t have warnings so I thought it was fine. I will put the video to dropbox so you can see it. When I come back from home that is.

Look super interesting cannot wait :slight_smile:

Cheers for the support =)

when will u finish the 3d fighter, i want to make a 2.5d fighting game and i was waiting.

I decided to leave 3d for now to focus on 2d. It is easier due to having 2d animations ready by using sprites so I can focus on the template itself. Sorry.

Wow, this is really well done! I am totally blown away with all of the features you’ve made. Please keep us updated :slight_smile:

This is great! Too bad i didnt see this earlier, I love watching projects grow. Cant wait to see more

Do you intend on selling this on the marketplace?

Thank you for the interest, I will as much as I can. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Yes, this is the intention so far, ofcourse without the Capcom sprites. I will have to create my own sprites or hire an artist for it though.

Is there controller support?

Yes there is.

Currently for testing purposes both players are using the same keyboard. Though I do not see any limitations of controllers not working.

Hey, this is great work. I actually just got Unreal, and I’m planning to make a 2D arcade fighting game in the future. Is there any tips or anything I should know about using Unreal to make a game like this? Like I said, great stuff, hope the progress is steady.

Howdy MisterBones!

Making a game like this does not sound as easy as it looks. It took at least 9 months for me to get to this point. Ofcourse it would be way easier if I was an experienced Dev. I just had to make maaaany tests to get which works better/perfect.

I will eventually release an early access when I am happy with the process (it’s not far away) for people who are impatient about this. But it will work for what you are up to. :slight_smile:

Is there somewhere I should start specifically, a tutorial or something? I just dont know where to begin, and I seriously doubt I can just wing it. I appreciate the words of encouragement though.

I’m very interested in getting into an Early Access of this Project. Also one thing that I did not notice that you had sown in the videos is a Wall Bounce. Is there one in there yet or are you working on one?

Uh… that’s the hardest part to answer.

Personally I started off with finding a way to do a local multiplayer. Then I decided to work on movement and mostly on collision, like how could players push each other etc.

It won’t be easy, but in order to understand how things work, you have to cry abit of tears and blood combined. Give everything a try, and when I am done with the project, you can check my way of doing things if you prefer. :slight_smile:

If your wanting a start with just making 2d Fighters in General I started with 2D Fighter Maker 2nd. Now this engine is dated but you can prototype stuff I have made full games with it before (Terrordrome). I was in the process myself of doing what Achilleon was with Unreal but my stuff ended up getting corrupted.

You could ask , or one of the mods to change the title of your previous thread.

They could then merge these two threads together.

Losing all the history is not good.

The videos you don’t like, just supersede them.