Presenting Unreal Match 3: A Feature Complete Mobile Sample & Game Jam Kickoff

&stc=1

WHAT
Remember our “Match 3” series of training livestreams](Creating a Match 3 Game | 01 | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube)? Well we’ve made it a full game example, and are preparing to share it with the world. Unreal Match 3 has numerous examples of features required for building a mobile game, including puzzle logic, handling multiple screen sizes, IAPs for iOS and Android, achievements, and more. Come hear the team talk about what’s coming, and check out the kickoff of the November #ue4jam!
WHEN**
Thursday, Nov. 12 @ 2:00PM ET - Countdown]

WHERE
www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
Chance Ivey - Sr. Community Manager - @anonymous_user_c5ad40d01](https://twitter.com/iveytron)
Alexander Paschall - Community Manager - @UnrealAlexander](http://twitter.com/UnrealAlexander)
Lauren Ridge - Training Content Creator - @LRRidge](https://twitter.com/lrridge)
Alan Noon - Sr. Developer Relations Technical Artist - @wlkrnn12](http://AlanNoon)

Questions about the project? Let’s hear em!

Video Archive:

Awesome :smiley:

Looks like a 3d Puzzles and Dragons type game. Quite excited to see how you guys handle the IAPS and achievements and other 3rd party integration.

I really hope the project is explained in detail. Many of these projects usually lack explanation of features that you guys might consider obvious or straight forward but the people learning don’t. Mostly programming stuff. Regardless, I am still excited for this one I downloaded all the previous streams for it.

Nice, I can’t wait to dive into the example.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Welcome to the forums Professionalm!

:slight_smile:

Rama

Thank you :slight_smile:

:smiley: Welcome!

Thank you :wink:

Can’t wait to see it :smiley:

Do you think you could post to this thread when it is available to download from Epic Marketplace?

I’ve subscribed to the thread so it’ll notify me.

Thanks.

Will Activision buy me out for 5.9 billion dollars too, if I learn this match3 thingy??

How far away is this?

I realise it won’t be in marketplace, but in Learning section of Epic Games Launcher.

Thanks.

We’ll definitely post back here when it’s available in the Learn tab for download. :slight_smile: We hope to release everything within a few weeks, but will have better info shortly!

Hi, can somebody please clarify - the original tutorial series to this used C++ (which I’m poor at!); does this project involve entirely Blueprints? Looking forward to it either way.

Hey there! It’s got both C++ and Blueprints.

I don’t mean to be rude but uh. It’s been a while. What’s up?

Also, and I’m sorry to shoehorn this question in here but I’m currently working on a fairly simple Android game and it’s in prototype stages in Gamemaker. I much prefer Unreal Engine’s workflows (especially the wonderful debugging tools which I forgot were uh. Not a thing anywhere else) but as I’m aiming to make a 2D game which is very performant I’m having a tough time. I want to make this using the Unreal Engine but I don’t know if it’s ready for this. Can I limit the frames drawn to the screen? How do I go about getting the performance out of UE4 that I can get out of Gamemaker using this simple guide: https://www.yoyogames.com/tech_blog/61

I just want to know that I can make a simple 2D game using only Blueprints (easy enough BUT:) and be able to run it on a Samsung Galaxy S1 without causing the phone to heat up or draining the battery much. Limiting FPS, resolution, ect. are all super easy to do I’m sure but just a simple confirmation would be very much appreciated. I have a large backlog of Unreal Engine mobile guides I’m getting through but have been more or less “sitting on my hands” waiting to see the Match 3 example as I’m at the fork in the road between GM and UE4.

Edit: Let me be clear: I’ve looked this up on my own and done what I feel is my due diligence in terms of research. What I’ve found is lots of questions without answers. On top of this, simply running Swing Ninja (a 2D game using paper2D) on my Desktop PC after packaging it up as a 64 bit executable… it’s using 53-58% CPU. I have a 3.6GHZ Quad Core computer. So that’s uh. Just a tad more than my 1GHZ limit (1.908 - 2.088). I also ran this in 4.10 on Windows 10 Pro. I really want to use UE4 but my end user and final product are far more important to me than workflow improvements. Even if they’re REALLY good workflow improvements.

Edit 2: Running AmiDuos, an Android Emulator, and any Android game I’ve played still runs better than a native Windows application which doesn’t appear to be at all intensive. You can see why I’m concerned. I enjoy Hearthstone. Hearthstone, for all of its merits, runs like absolute trash. If anyone could run Hearthstone it would be more popular. At least 1 person more popular. I don’t want to prevent anyone from playing my game due to performance problems. xP //End of ridiculous rant that truly aims to get a simple yes/no answer (but if yes I’d appreciate my performance improvement inquiries being addressed) for 2D games performance.

Hey all,

Unreal Match 3 should be available via the launcher in the coming weeks. Keep an eye out on the blog and our other channels for more info :slight_smile:

UE4 on Android does scale down quite a bit, but older devices such as the Galaxy S1 may not have the results that you’re looking to achieve. Here’s what we test on and what you can expect as far as support goes:

Android Compatibility Community WikiAndroid Compatibility Docs

As far as your questions about frame rate, it might be best to post over on the Development Discussion forums for better visibility, as the community spends more time there than in these Twitch threads.

Regarding performance, I’d definitely test on target hardware rather than comparing to PC stats, as a number of factors will dictate the differences you’ll notice between the two platforms.

Hope that helps out some!

You can check my mobile templates Here
All the games are working on low devices without any lag(Single core 1Ghz , 384MB Ram ~ 45-50 fps)
Apk size 38-32 MB.

Do you know when Unreal Match 3 will be available? Thanks!