Steam Help

Hi all,

I’ve been slowly putting together what I need from various sources and I think I’m very close to getting Steam integration working. The Steam overlay pops up because I modified the INI, hosting returns success but finding returns failure (never gets to join node). Below is my blueprint so far. Does anyone have any idea what I may be missing?

I’m testing this by packaging and copying to my laptop, which has a different Steam account. Steam is running on both computers.

eb802b8572308df37f0fc45068cb40234e148edb.jpeg

Also, a side question: the blueprints are in my level for now so it seems redundant to reload the same level with the listen option. But I couldn’t find in the Editor where to put it. Or is it already listen by default?

Thank you much for any insight!

Never mind, still looking into this…

What AppID are you using? The test ID 480 may be used by a lot of games, so searching and finding online games might return sessions that don’t belong to your game.
You can’t join those. This is resolved when you get your own AppID after being greenlit.

Try hosting and joining LAN Games for the meantime.

I put in the default 480 and that wasn’t enough. Again, the hosting was successful but the finding on the other computer was not (failed - does that mean 0 results or that the process failed? could it succeed with 0 results?).

I downloaded the latest SDK and noticed that the engine had version Steamv132 under C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.9\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\Steamworks and the SDK is version v134. So I made a Steamv134 and renamed the v132 folder and now the project won’t publish because the engine can’t find the Steamv132 folder. I assumed that since it instructed you to make a new folder that it would detect the new folder and use its contents. Guess I’m just overwriting the files in the Steamv132 folder…

Edit: wait, the SDK has a steam_api64.DLL from July and the one Unreal had is from this month. Yet the SDK is the newer version. I’m lost.

As i said, searching might fail with this test ID. Even if you find games with it, they are most likely not from your game. Everyone can use this AppID, even non UE4 devs.

Try to use LAN as long as you don’t have your own AppID.

Thank you but per Online Subsystem Steam Interface in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

It would be harsh to force everyone to get Greenlit just to test Steam functionality. This really should work but I’m still missing something.

The quote says the same as i do. “most features of Steam should work”. Not all.

I already explained why it might not work. You can test MOST of these things without your own, but searching and finding Game Sessions
might not work, as i already explained twice now.

Thank you. I understand. Finding (and joining) might be one of the features that you can’t use. Or maybe you can.

So I guess my question is: did anyone get it to work using 480? If so, how did you do it?

I want to add: Why do you need to have this working on steam right now? You can test all of this if you use LAN.
Since you are not using C++, you won’t have any other features than the Session System, so you can test all of it
with LAN checked on the Session nodes and just test the Online Sessions once you have your own Steam AppID.

Fair question. I’m doing this as a personal hobby, not a major 5-year professional project. I just want to connect to friends and have all of us run around in a small world I create and see if I want to expand the project from there with gameplay.

For what it’s worth, I’ve used Leadwerks before which has Steam SDK built in as C++ (there I used 480 to connect to friends and transfer data). I thought maybe Unreal would be easier with Blueprints but not quite yet.

Solution ~ Steam Friends List

Dear GameCreator,

The Steam Friends list is not exposed to BP yet, but I made a C++ plugin for Steam back during the UE4 Beta that allows you to join games with friends using only the 480 app ID.

I’ve joined/hosted many real UE4 multiplayer games with 3+ people using this method, using Steam.

So although I dont think you can broadcast and join hosted matches due to not having an app id, you can certainly join friends privately.

This is how I’ve been using Steam with only 480 app id in many paid UE4 projects.

Have fun today!

:slight_smile:

Rama
PS: You can PM me for more info about my Steam plugin.

Hi Rama, thank you very much for this. I PM-ed you back for details.