Unreal take on Loft.

Hi Friends,

Created this loft space to test lighting and materials.

Inspired from - San Francisco Loft / LINEOFFICE Architecture | ArchDaily

](San Francisco Loft / LINEOFFICE Architecture | ArchDaily)

Very nice, great work! The brick walls need some improvements tho ^^

super slick man! can i ask how one goes about getting folds that awesome in your comforter? Zbrush i’m guessing?

very nice- so crisp!

Looks good! Don’t you ever sleep? :wink:

Very, very good job!!! Have you changed the settings in BaseLightmass.ini?

Changed few values in BaseLightmass.ini (only started to getting some understanding of it), still wrapping my head around photon mapping in Unreal. Don’t know why EPIC is not helping out artists regarding the workflow concerning Photon Mapping for realistic renders. I am more then happy to help but my own results are based on experiments with loose understanding of some values. Still very much struggling to solve so many problems in lighting. EPIC documents are not at all helpful.:mad:

We all know Rafeal and Koola are able to get the results we all desire (not talking about artistic look, but technically their renders are almost without bugs), so technique is there to overcome all the hurdles, but EPIC is not willing to share the workflow.

Why not make a making of - Unreal Paris - explaining every part, including Lightmass Settings (We all know the values which are available to “artist” are not at all helpful) with BaseLIghtmass.ini tweaking (it is not possible to get that kind of result without touching that ini file) , Proper Unwrapping techniques to avoid light leaks (great information is available on forums, but all scattered and untidy) and so on.

We shouldn’t have to work so hard to get good results, it’s annoying after using an unbiased renderer like Cycles daily for my work.

What items do you change in BaseLightmass.ini that there was no light leakage?
Like here: Screenshot by Lightshot
Screenshot by Lightshot
I would be very grateful
Thank you in advance!

You don’t need to touch the .ini to avoid light leakage! It’s possible to make splotch-free and leak-free scenes with the settings we have in the editor.

The only thing that would help maybe in there is the lighting build time/quality ratio but you need very good understanding of photon mapping…even then…

Remember when people started to believe that the famous bounce cards setup was the absolute best way to get nice results? Well, Rafareis123 doesn’t even use them in his last scene. I feel it’s the same with the .ini. Everyone wants/thinks it’s where the magic happens. I doubt it.

How did you create the material curtains?
Did you use Spotlight outside in this scene?

Yeah, I don’t think changing the .ini unless you really know what you’re doing is the magic bullet. It still comes down to good models, lighting, materials, mood, camera location, post processing.

Yes, No need to touch .ini just to remove light leaks. Give attention to walls, roof and floor in 3D application where you model them, properly unwrap the models with good padding between UV islands, and give descent resolution to these to avoid light leaks. Test your scene on production quality starting with .7 value in Static Lighting Level scale, Indirect Bounces 50-100 (Your choice), Indirect Lighting quality 2-4(depends upon your hardware power) and Indirect Lighting Smoothness .85. These values are more then sufficient to test your scene for problems related to light leaks and geometry errors.

Then move towards the uncharted waters of Static Lighting Level Scale .15 or .25 values if you want to take your scene quality to next level. Here whatever Epic says, you need to tweak .ini file to get scene free from blotches and leaks. But that’s the extreme. You can get pretty good results without .ini file if you experiment with editor lightmass settings.

PS - I never used the reflector method(bounce cards) either, it’s impractical if you consider Exterior/Interior together.

Saw your lighting pass, you are getting there. But I am thinking you are going too extreme with values here, Indirect Lighting Quality 10 will give you unreasonably long render times. To get good contact shadows you need not to go that low always, I am Using Static Lighting Level Scale - .4 in this scene with Indirect Lighting Quality - 4 (Changed few values in .ini, but I am still not 100 percent sure about their actual benefit and How they are working - That’s the main reason I am not sharing those, don’t want to built unnecessary confusion on something which is already so twisted).

It’s a simple material(Image Attached). No spotlight outside, Only skylight for lighting from outside.

&stc=1

thank you very much. I will try your tips.

The picture is not loaded :frowning:

Nice work . If you are looking for some feedback I think you gotta work a bit more on the reflections. Also the roughness on the bed seems too low.

I would also use tesselation displacement on that brickwall, would help a lot to the realism at not a too great performance cost.

How are you getting those nice shadows? Are you using direct spotlighting? What settings on the lights ? ( not lightmass)

Speaking of working hard. I’m testing a scene to make some still images 100% made in unreal. It’s not going to be a playable scene but I want to see if I can reach vray’s quality for standard renderings. It’s actually quite easy and fast to make a scene for pre-dertermined camera shots. I’m using very very little geometry, 2d trees/plants but where the fun begins is with materials and effects. Adding fog, dynamic sky, emissive materials, water with screen space reflections, vertex painting, world displacement for materials, look up tables, all eye candy and get instant feedback is sooo much more fun than doing it the traditionnal way. Also, I made a 12 000 ish x 7 000 ish screenshot instantly!!! I’ll post result soon. This is a process of only a couple of hours. Want to see how fast it’s possible to make a good looking still from the modelling to the final screenshot! Also started to use procedural PBR substance materials. They look so good, especially when you add world displacement! :slight_smile:

I want to replace vray/corona with unreal for good!