Please share your thoughts on the current state of my game's MapBuilder

https://www.youtube/watchCiCDLgG7Oc

Try it here!
://www.indiedb/games/oldschool-nightmare/downloads

That’s pretty sweet! You put a lot of features into that.

Thanks! I want to make it with a lot more so it will feel as moddable as it can.

Also if anyone have any good ideas for features I will gladly listen :slight_smile:

I like the control switch creation features, that’s awesome :slight_smile:

One easy win I think for your editor would be to make the text lists into lists of icons with some text next to them.

Aside from that, being able to paint grass and trees in one go is nice.

Thanks! I did thought about icons but it something that need to be made outside of UE4 and it requires an other type of work.
Maybe I will just take snapshots of the models and make them into icons, I think I will do just that for now.

Hi ,

I like what you’re doing here and it could go beyond Doom-style maps. My In-Game Level Editor has been on the back-burner for over year:( I’d recommend: Multi-user support, Remote Save/Load (Map Sharing), Local Save and Load in Construction Script to Build Lighting. Working in level map on a team project can be difficult to coordinate even with source control. With the features above Teams could build Levels together simultaneously using UE4 functionality, without any special software. You may be able to find some icons here. Is your MapBuilder all developed with Blueprints? Are you interested in collaboration?

Thanks for the advices! Most of it is in blueprint, some was rewritten in cpp for the sake of order and readability but it can all be done in blueprint.
I’m doing it all by myself so I can use it in my portfolio. Thanks for the offer though :slight_smile:

That looks really cool!

holycrap that was awesome :o

Even if you collab, you can use it in a portfolio as you’re the project owner (which additionally demonstrates you can work on a team:cool:) I think if you went all blueprints, it would be a hit in the marketplace as a Advanced In-game Level Builder compared to this product. Add the features I proposed and Teams (to include my own) will be flocking to the marketplace to pick up a copy. Retain the Bots and join Tom Looman in establishing a new genre of FPS Games with real-time Level construction. If you could use some assistance in developing a Visual Save/Load System. Lets talk.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Thanks. For the moment I want to work on this by myself. I know It will be really cool if users will be able to build levels together, I will probably implement that soon or later, It requires some work on the replicating system part ( the game itself is already working on multiplayer ).

WOW your visual SaveLoad system looks really impressive! For the moment I’m having my own system that is quite simple but works.

You can save the game using an in game menu:

menu:

save:

load:

I think this is sufficient for now, I will perhaps need something more complex when the game will get bigger.

This is pretty cool and i think it would be cool if you finished this as a full game and released it as a sort of MARIO MAKER game but instead be retro doom with better graphics.

Yaaay you have Local Save/Load. Collaborative Level Building is my primary motivation for dev’ing such a Level Editor. Multi-user support will be fun to implement (sarcasm) but, the benefits will be worth it. It requires consideration upfront as retro-fitting equates to a lot of script/code re-write.

Previously, I mentioned Save and Load in Construction Script to Build Lighting, the concept behind this feature Edit and Save the Level ‘real-time’, then…Load the Level into UnrealEd with a Construction Script/Blutility at ‘design-time’ to take advantage of LightMass/Swarm. This would allow multiple users to work on the map in real-time, and then process lighting later.

Another multi-user feature is Remote Load/Update, the idea is to retrieve the map data from the server, spawning, modifying the level on the Client in real-time for Local Save. This feature should probably be implement before Load in Construction Script.

Multi-user support: Yeah, I will have to do it eventually.
Save and Load in Construction Script to Build Lighting: In the game that the end user will use, he will have no access to the project files, so he won’t be able to take advantage of this feature. Or am I missing something?
Remote Load/Update: The save files will have to be sitting on a server, and the game will have to know how to read them when they are not in their original place. I think this feature will require a lot of digging.

My perspective for the Level Builder is that it will be used by both UE4 Developers and Players. The Load in Construction Script would only be relevant in UnrealEd for Developers. The Remote Load/Update is a real-time function (possibly a RPC) in which new client can jump into the ongoing session and spawn the mapdata. The Client would be responsible for saving this data locally. Assuming SaveGame Objects are used to store the map data locally in *.sav file, transfer of *sav file over a network would require an additional network C++ code/plugin.

Well it seems like this feature will have to wait, I will have to implement the multiplayer building support first ( which I already know how to do without start digging in how to make plugins and stuff ).
The idea of this level editor is that I won’t have to release the whole project files and still let the user make his own stuff. It will have to get much better in order to use it with the unreal editor itself.
I still need to figure out how to make something that is actually useful with the proceduralmeshcomponent ( so it can make stuff like ProBuilder for unity does ).