[LAUNCHER] Do something about the storage requirement for updates.

Requesting that the launcher dev team get sent of to a course to learn about smart updating methodes.
The current method thats implemented into the epic launcher for updates is just bad.

I am using the Epic launcher solely for launching and updating ADK.
So, i among many other people who already has a packed HD/SDD would appreciate if you could implement a smarter way the updating is happening.
I dont mean to be blunt, But the launcher seems more like a amateure app written by some teens for a game than by a professional companie.
This is like 2015. have you learned nothing in school about math and coding techniques etc?

Required 60 ++ GB free space for a 3.5 GB download. gosh…

&d=1444192089

Launcher and everything which involve it is terribly bad. Downloading files every time when open, store all shop hash on disc, Soft launched Launcher consume 300++ mb ram, if change any directory it’s going up to 700 big36.gif

Well, I dont have any problems with the launcher. It opens up within a few seconds and does what it is supposed to do…
And with todays hardware prices, its not that impossible to have enough diskspace…

[]
I am using the Epic launcher solely for launching and updating ADK.
[/]

ADK seems to require a lot more resources than your standard off the shelf 4.9.x editor.
So why would bring 300 MB for the launcher you into trouble?. And besides, once lauched, you can close the launcher and reclaim your precious RAM.

[]
I dont mean to be blunt, But the launcher seems more like a amateure app written by some teens for a game than by a professional companie.
This is like 2015. have you learned nothing in school about math and coding techniques etc?
[/]

I dont mean to be blunt, but this comment seems more like an amateur writing by some teen for trolling, rather than for professional input.
This is like 2015. Have you learned nothing in school about proper tone and conversation techniques?
:stuck_out_tongue:

[=;395645]
And with todays hardware prices, its not that impossible to have enough diskspace…

[/]

That’s no excuse for the excessive space abusing. In average I have to delete 80GB (UE4 and Launcher trashfiles) from my SSD every 4 weeks.

[=;395645]
Well, I dont have any problems with the launcher. It opens up within a few seconds and does what it is supposed to do…

[/]

Worst excuse ever…
So whenever a Unoptimized, poorly written app comes along. The solution is to buy new hardware? thats naive.

[=;395645]

ADK seems to require a lot more resources than your standard off the shelf 4.9.x editor.
So why would bring 300 MB for the launcher you into trouble?. And besides, once lauched, you can close the launcher and reclaim your precious RAM.

[/]

I never said i had a issue with the ram. sure you quoted the right guy ?
Yeah, i close it too after i launched the editor.

[=;395645]

I dont mean to be blunt, but this comment seems more like an amateur writing by some teen for trolling, rather than for professional input.

[/]

Im no professional. i never stated i am. do you see any tag with “epic parter” or whatever under my name?
and YES i am an amateure . i do this for free on my spare time as my hobbie.

[=;395645]

This is like 2015. Have you learned nothing in school about proper tone and conversation techniques?

[/]

No not really. in my time we only had woodshop and sports no conversation classes. but you know the saying. old people tend to be a tad rude :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously…
An update with a size of 3.5 GB required 60+ GB free space thats almost 20 times the size of the download.
And my picture is meant with humor. because its the truth in this cause.
If you look at my picute i got 60GB left. and it says it requires 60 GB.
So in theory i should have 0 Bytes left. but thats not going to go well. so something is off with their Requirement calulation.

Hi ,

Please post this to the answerhub in the installation and setup section so we can assist you more in depth.

Hi .

Thanks for your reply, But now i kind of just feel like getting tossed around a bit.
I was pointed here from the ark sub modding forum, since they kept stating that it need to go here as a Suggestion/Criticism/Complaints regading the epic launcher.

I dont need any help with the setup/installation.
The only thing that would help me is the way the epic launcher has implemented the update logic.

As it is now. i have my devkit on a solid state disk.
Im sure you are aware that these storages devices cant compare to a standard hard drives. “At least not with cost in mind”. when it comes to the amount of space they have.

Having that said.
The only solution for me is to keep deleting/moving files over to a anoher disk. “thats used for another purpose as Os Backup and such”
I have to move enough files so i get about the space left than what the entire Install of the ADK is.
And thats for a 3.5 GB update.
After the update… i have to move files back to the other disk.

So you see.
It kind of gets annoying after several updates when each time i got like 50/55 GB free space and i see/hit update of 3/5 GB, and then it spits back in my face:
“Hey dude… your 3.5 GB update requires a 60GB freespace”,
So you could probeally fix this easly by implementing a option for the user.
“Do you want to Backup before updating Yes/No”