Cardboard

Because https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/180804/how-to-use-get-input-motion-state-to-look-around.html is almost a little bit unsorted, i decided to start a forum thread to continue discussion.
(It is about how to “simulate” a google cardboard application with unreal. I attached a working example)

I uploaded my project file here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwmufuk3clqmyox/BasicVR.zip?dl=0

Version 0.2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yyrqiuomxfpjah/BasicVR_02.zip?dl=0

1 Like

Hi DRob,

That’s a nice contribution.

If I was to make a suggestion…

In VR, performance is paramount.

It looks like you’ve opted for the 2 virtual cameras in game for this. Whilst that is fine, it may not be the most performant or easiest to manage rout.

Have you taken a look yet at the SimpleHMD implementation? This uses a similar pipeline to the other HMD implementations (Gear VR, Oculus etc) Building off that as a starting point might be a strong bet.

Best,
Minxies

Just got it working on my Nexus 5. Looks like you hit a Gimbal Lock issue with your pitch. Yaw looks fine but roll is non existent.

To resolve these, I’d recommend looking at the Google Cardboard SDK and using that for your device rotation values. It is open source but it will involve hacking at the UE engine’s source code.

Best,
Minxies

Hi Mixie.
All the movements run fine and smoothly in my Nexus 5. Did you tested compiling directly from DRob’s project?

Rob, thank you a lot, really, for giving a project that finally works from all treads that I could read. It’s seen that you solved a lot of problems exposed in all VR threads.
Using 2 players instead of the SimpleHMD implementation, which have a really poor reference material, was very smart from you.
Thanks again!

Thank you for testing. Im on vacation/holidays now. I will fix the issues next weekend. It was just a point to start :slight_smile:
The lock you described is because i locked rotation from -90 to 90 degrees. Roll isn’t implemented but should not be a problem.
Technical the idea here is to spawn a second player (splitscreen) and sync his movement with the first player. (But putting him a little bit to the right). If this setup runs stable i will look into the simplehmd plugin.
Greetings
Drob

Any progress on this project yet? I’m just starting to learn Unreal and so far I’m having a hard time finding examples for google cardboard that work well. I really don’t want to have to go to Unity just to develop for cardboard. So I hope there is still progress being made on solving the remaining issues with cardboard and unreal.

Cheers!

I fly to my hometown today. I will try to fix issues this weekend. So “yes” there is still progress. :slight_smile:

I edited my first post. I tried to implement “roll” feel free to test it. It works but i think it is not perfect.

Hi I am a newby in UE4 and I am very happy for the results of your demo.

I have 2 questions to make.

1. Can I disabled the substance plugin dialog that opens every time I open the project on editor and on my android phone?

2. Can I use a bt controller (to move around) or with an otg keyboard connected to the phone ?

Thanks keep up the good work.

Hi,
i’ll try to answer.

1. Yes you can do it this way :
    Open the project. In top menu choose “Edit” and then choose “Plugins”.
    Go to “Editor” somewhere there should the substance plugin be visible. Simple uncheck it.

2. You need to open the FirstPersonCharacter blueprint.Here you can see the whole movement behavior.
    I think bt controller should already work.
    You need to extend this blueprint with your movement wishes :slight_smile: (It is the same as all other templates)
    Example : Create a key node and wire the “pressed connector” to Add Movement Input.

I prefer gestures to move. I dont use keyboard or controller.

Greetings.

Hey dude,ur link is unlinkable, can u share ur project link here again??
thank u very much!

Hey,
what means “unlinkable” ? I tried both links and they are still work.

Quick update from the horses mouth:

Doesn’t look like 4.11 is going to get Cardboard support.

Regards,
Minxies

Great news, official Google Cardboard support seems to be coming to the engine!

See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4iq3rq/androidvr_likely_to_be_announced_next_week_at/

It looks like the existence of a new “AndroidVR” (Google Cardboard) plugin was leaked in the breakdown of the latest 4.12 Preview 3 release notes.

This note has since been pulled.

It is slated that the Google Cardboard SDK will be relaunched as AndroidVR this coming Google IO.

From the looks of it, AndroidVR looks to be a collaboration of sort between Epic Games and Google.

Best,
Minxies

Some different unofficial workarounds to try out for now:

1. Reddit - Dive into anything

2. “Unreal Engine 4 supports all the major devices and you don’t need to perform any hassle to setup your project for VR. Just make sure that the correct plugins are loaded for your HMD under Edit > Plugins.”
    From there find “Virtual Reality” category fromenable “basic HMD” plugin (stereo quality is quite bad)
    After that “Play game as” Menu in Unreal Engine will have non-grayed out Virtual Reality (stereo) mode (where you normally can choose Play In Editor or Stand Alone mode, etc)

3. Community Plugin for Cardboard (not sure if its updated/works)
    https://github.com/

4. https://forums.unrealengine.com/
    by DRob

that is all just about “stereo” mode, controlling using sensors is not supported, probably.

Hey DRob, I liked your project a lot, and actually I would like to print text on screen in cardboard mode but if I add a trigger, the FirsPersonGameMode doesn’t allow to fire the trigger. If I change to the standar GameMode in project settings the trigger is fired but the display works weird… Could you help me? I would be very grateful…

Speaking of GitHub files for VR Cardboard. It seems my Visual Studio circa Anno Domini of Year 2019 is outdated. Anyway is this gonna work with Unreal Engine 4,PC Steam VR Chat too or not? How to setup 360 video in Bandicam or even Motorola OnePlus? Is this gonna work with my unofficial Sonic fangames by using Sonic Dash Unreal Engine 4 Framework Level Editor? Even on PS4 Dreams as cheaper replacement of Sony PSVR? Will Half-Life Alyx gonna work out somehow with this VR headset?