Did 4.2 break Paper2D Flipbooks?

I can’t get Flipbooks to render since updating. Is it just me?

Hi Sadonis,

Yeah, it looks like it was broken in 4.2, sorry about that (Paper2D is still experimental in 4.2 so it didn’t get much QA testing). I just checked in a fix into main (“Paper2D: Fix flipbook components not rendering”), which should be mirrored on to GitHub shortly. You should be able to easily apply the change to 4.2.

Edit: This is the fix: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/62290e53c394036f1997bd0e1e2971c8e788c70d

Cheers,
Michael Noland

This may not be an appropriate place to ask this, but still.
I’ve never used GitHub before, so I have a question: if I also need this fix, but I just downloaded the installer for UE4 and ran it, no compiling of the source code or anything like that, is there a way for me to apply it to my UE4? This question may seem silly, but I really do not understand how this works.
Thanks!

A) Link is Error 404 for me.
B) I have concerns that Mirror that of Amanamongorcas. I haven’t tried to do it yet, but have never done it before. TYour use of the term “easy” makes me assume I can figure it out, though.

Edit: Ah, once I linked up with GitHub it no longer 404s

Heya,

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, I meant that it’s easy to apply the fix to an unmodified 4.2 branch, since those files haven’t changed since the branch was created.

One option would be to simply stick with 4.1 for now, but building from source isn’t too bad.

To get started, you need to install either Visual Studio or XCode (depending on your platform):

And download / fork the 4.2 branch from GitHub:

Once you’ve got the GitHub version built, you can apply the change either by manually applying the diff or doing a ‘cherry-pick’ of the commit 62290e53c394036f1997bd0e1e2971c8e788c70d.

Cheers,
Michael Noland

Heya,

As an update, the Paper2D rendering fixes have been merged into the 4.2 branch as of https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/2e9f43106b1304bc2ab4a582f7ecfe6767b5d562, so they’ll be in a 4.2 hotfix if we produce one.

Cheers,
Michael Noland

wild theory - with each update will there always be something, previously working ok, broken ‘accidentally on purpose’ to ensure we stay subbed and awaiting the next update?

/sarcasm - please don’t hit me :slight_smile:

Will there be something broken in each release? Seems likely, it’s a huge software project and we test as much as we can but will never hit 100% coverage.

Will we ever break something ‘accidentally on purpose’ to give people a reason to upgrade? Not a chance, sounds like a spectacularly poor way to build a community / maintain a relationship. You can also see every checkin that goes in as it goes in, so call us out on it if you ever see something like that!

As mentioned above, Paper2D is still experimental / unsupported. This isn’t an excuse, especially since we didn’t do a great job of messaging the experimental nature of some of the plugins (it’s not listed as experimental in the plugin browser for example), but this is why QA doesn’t test it yet. However by the time 4.3 is released, the basic types (sprites, flipbooks, and associated actors) of Paper2D should be officially supported and tested. They should also be data stable (from that point on any sprites or flipbooks you create or place should be forward-compatible forever). Tile maps will probably not be at that point by 4.3, but if so I’ll try to make sure they’re more obviously marked experimental than they are today.

It’s certainly my bad in this particular case: I broke flipbook and tile map rendering while cleaning up the render proxy for basic sprites (the others derive from it but weren’t setting the material relevance flags). My sandbox maps only have basic sprites since they’re what I was focusing on, so I didn’t notice it at the time. After I saw this thread on Friday night I fixed the issue and got the changes merged over to the 4.2 branch on Monday, so we’re definitely trying to do right by our users.

I now have a flipbook and a tilemap in the corner of the default map :smiley:

Cheers,
Michael Noland

Heya,

A preview of the 4.2.1 hotfix is live now which includes the fixes mentioned in this thread, check out 4.2.1 Hotfix - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums for instructions on how to use it.

Cheers,
Michael Noland