Thread: Augmented Reality for UE4

Augmented Reality for UE4

Plugin available on the link below:
    http://www.unreal4ar.com

[UPDATE]
    AR version of the Matinee fight scene demo.:

Interaction DEMO video:

Hi everyone,

After working on this for quite some time, I wanted to show my first results.
    I am developing a C++ code plugin that adds AR capabilities to Unreal Engine 4.

The videos below are featuring simple marker tracking examples based on the open source ARToolkit library. The DEMO can detect and track 2 markers at the same time.
    Currently it is just a "proof of concept" running on Windows and Android, but I hope to release it as a plugin soon!

Inside UE4 editor on Windows:

Running on Samsung S4 mini:

Hope you like it!
    Last edited by AdamHorvath; 12-16-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: new demo

You sir, are a legend

Looking forward to seeing how it goes...

Yes yes yes yes so muuuch yessss!

Awesome, You Rock!

Samaritan
    OMG, I will buy this so hard!
    Carlos Montero | @cman2k | Technical Art Director @neoglyphic
    Working on Sunborn Rising and the Neofur Plugin | I made Black Mesa

This is too good. Got to try this.

Yeah, this is ridiculously awesome! Can't wait to see more.
    2B || (!2B)

Looks very promising, keep up the good work!

Yeah, this is really amazing ! Keep it up !

Will definitely be keeping up on this thread
    Theia Interactive makes immersive VR experiences in collaboration with the world’s leading companies and creatives, leveraging this bleeding edge technology to pioneer the next generation of entertainment, storytelling, and customer engagement.

impressive !!!!!!! when does your plugin will be in test or released ? and at wich price ? could be very usefull for my work !! thanks

Infiltrator
    I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel
    Keep it up!

Hi,

I've uploaded a very early binary version of the upcoming AR plugin with a sample project.
    Currently it works only in the UE editor (on Windows), and all of it's features can be used with blueprints. No C++ coding required!

I've tried to keep everything as simple as possible.

Opinions / suggestion are welcomed!

How to test ?
    ===========

1. Download the file on the link below and unzip it's contents to your UE4 project directory.
    http://get.fitnect.hu/download.php?f=tools/ARSample.zip

2. Print the markers located in ARSample\Plugins\ARToolkitPlugin\Binaries\Win64\Data\pdf

- There are 4 markers here: Kanji , Hiro, Sample 1, Sample 2. (Print at least Hiro, to get started!)
    - Make sure to print them in their original size, and there should be a white border around the marker.

3. Run Epic Games launcher, and install Unreal Engine 4.9.2

4. In Epic Games launcher open ARSample project

5. Connect your webcam, and press the play button inside the editor!

6. Video stream should appear, move the markers (Hiro / Kanji) in front of the camera

7. Default unreal 3D chairs should appear on the screen.

More info about marker tracking can be found on the following link:
    http://artoolkit.org/documentation/d...g:marker_about

There are two main blueprints in the example:

ARToolkitBase blueprint
    ===================

- Default webcam init (640x480 default resolution)
    - Initializes the video stream and creates a dynamic texture based on the baseFeed material
    - Loading markers (Marker list can be edited in the Markers enumeration - Content browser: Contents/ARToolkit/Blueprints/Markers
    - Cleaning up at the end.

Level blueprint
    ===================

- Transformation of the "chairs" based on marker positions / rotations.

CubeHiro, CubeKanji
    ===================

- Simple static meshes - Feel free to change them!

Cheers,
    Adam
    Last edited by AdamHorvath; 10-07-2015 at 03:32 PM.

I have just recognized your new post. Thank you for posting the actual state of your work.
    I tried it immediately. As I do not have a printer at home I used a mobile device to display the Hiro marker. Although the mobile device display produced an overexposed image for the camera, your example project was still able to recognize the marker if it was close enough to the camera (and not the whole display of my phone was white on camera's image).
    Tomorrow I will have a look at it with a paper marker.
    It is very promising, keep up the good work.

Really great job,and I truly appreciate your time and effort
    Thanks for this wonderful project.

I've added NFT (Natural Feature Tracking) to the upcoming plugin. Generally any image can be used as a "marker".
    NFT is also working on Android.

Blueprint used in the video:

Name:  bp_ar.jpg
Views: 29158
Size:  389.6 KB

The NFT based solution seems even better and Android support is also important for us too.

This is super awesome. Why no love for mac and iOS ? I'd really love to test this out.

I just found this and it is really good, thank you! It works fine for me in Windows so far.
    Are you also planning to release the source code of the plugin? It would be nice to check it and maybe contributing too!

Hi,

I've updated the plugin and the sample project, with NFT feature, and MAC OSX support. (Working on the iOS code...)

How to test ?
    ===========

1. Download the file on the link below and unzip it's contents to your UE4 project directory.
    http://get.fitnect.hu/download.php?f...Sample_1_1.zip

2. Print the markers located in PDF

- There are 4 markers here: Kanji , Hiro, Sample 1, Sample 2. (Print at least Hiro, to get started!)
    - For NFT use pinball.jpg
    - Make sure to print them in their original size, and there should be a white border around the marker.

3. Run Epic Games launcher, and install Unreal Engine 4.9.2

4. In Epic Games launcher open ARSample project

5. Connect your webcam, and press the play button inside the editor!

6. Video stream should appear, move the markers (Hiro / Pinball.jpg) in front of the camera

7. Default unreal 3D chairs should appear on the screen.

More info about marker tracking can be found on the following link:
    http://artoolkit.org/documentation/d...g:marker_about

There are two main blueprints in the example:

ARToolkitBase blueprint
    ===================

- Default webcam init (640x480 default resolution)
    - Initializes the video stream and creates a dynamic texture based on the baseFeed material
    - Loading markers (Marker list can be edited in the Markers and MarkersNFT enumerations - Content browser: Contents/ARToolkit/Blueprints/Markers , Markers NFT
    - Cleaning up at the end.

Level blueprint
    ===================

- Transformation of the "chairs" based on marker positions / rotations.

CubeHiro, CubeNFT
    ===================

- Simple static meshes - Feel free to change them!

Cheers,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by kinzua01 View Post
    This is super awesome. Why no love for mac and iOS ? I'd really love to test this out.
    Check out the updated version with MAC OSX support! iOS will be also supported...

Quote Originally Posted by hmartinez View Post
    I just found this and it is really good, thank you! It works fine for me in Windows so far.
    Are you also planning to release the source code of the plugin? It would be nice to check it and maybe contributing too!
    My plan is to release the plugin in two constructions:

1. Binary editor version of the plugin for Windows, MAC OSX - (maybe with some limitations) - FREE
    2. Binary editor + run-time versions, and the full source code for all platforms including mobile (Windows, OSX, iOS, Android) - Price is to be determined, suggestions are welcome!

(Please note that the Andorid version will require some engine source modifications and won't be available as a "binary only" plugin.)

The future is here!

Supporter
    How come the editor crashes every time I launch the game? Am I missing something?

My webcam is on and I cannot get any result with either builds...

I'm running the game from the editor, on windows 8.

This is awesome and I would definitely be ready to pay for a plugin that would FINALLY bring UE to the AR fun...

However, I read an interview about Epic CEO saying AR will be the next big thing (yes...), I cannot believe that Epic is not working on this as a key upcoming feature for UE.

Have you tried to contact them to show what you are doing with your plugin? There might be a way to join your efforts to do something very stable and ambitious.

And again, I am not trying NOT to pay for this plugin, I'll be very happy to reward you for the great work.
    I just hope that we can have an ambitious AR plugin that will be updated on the long term and bringing new AR features all the time! And I feel Epic could (should) help on this!

Quote Originally Posted by BoroD View Post
    How come the editor crashes every time I launch the game? Am I missing something?

My webcam is on and I cannot get any result with either builds...

I'm running the game from the editor, on windows 8.
    Please check if there is any special character in your project path. If so, copy it to a simple directory like c:\UnrealProjects\ARSample

I hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by guillaumeb View Post
    This is awesome and I would definitely be ready to pay for a plugin that would FINALLY bring UE to the AR fun...

However, I read an interview about Epic CEO saying AR will be the next big thing (yes...), I cannot believe that Epic is not working on this as a key upcoming feature for UE.

Have you tried to contact them to show what you are doing with your plugin? There might be a way to join your efforts to do something very stable and ambitious.

And again, I am not trying NOT to pay for this plugin, I'll be very happy to reward you for the great work.
    I just hope that we can have an ambitious AR plugin that will be updated on the long term and bringing new AR features all the time! And I feel Epic could (should) help on this!
    I've applied for DevGrants, sent them all the videos / demos, and the link to this thread.
    No answer yet, but let's hope the best!

Also it would be great to work on AR concepts with EpicGames officially, I am really into it!

Meanwhile I am doing some work on my own, and learning the engine. :-)
    Last edited by AdamHorvath; 10-29-2015 at 12:51 PM.

wow this plugin is amazing,do you mind if i test it in a project using trading cards (mtg in this case) and let it animate the creatures and spells? could release it for pub documentation ,however will do the release with the final plugin then ?

oh and do u mind putting up a tutorial how it actually "read the cards" and how to setup a new card except the samples,would rly enjoy that and im sure others as well btw still amazed by the possibilitys this offers ,gj man!

awesome dude !! thanks!!

Is it just me or the latency is nearly perfect? That's amazing. Very interesting work, glad to see people trying new and original things

I predict Augmented Reality will overtake VR. You heard it here first.

Very Nice!
    TheGameDevStore.com | TheGameDevStore.VR: MMO + Interactive Asset Store + RPG|FPS Game Layer w/ VR Support.

Very promising indeed

This is incredible! I found this on the Launcher and knew I had to see it. Excellent innovation! I await the day when we can play with skeletal meshes in AR. Until then, I'll be happily rocking my chairs back and forth.

Hello.
    Thank you for your work. It is wonderful.
    Your plugin works well in UE 4 windows. But in May, the tablet (android) pokazivaet it on the screen:

'ARToolkitPlugin' failed to load because module 'ARToolkitPlugin' could not be found. Please ensure the plugin is properly installed, otherwise consider disabling the plugin for this project.

I click "OK" and the screen trash.

I will be glad to any advice.

Когда запускаешь на андроиде, например, samsung galaxy s3, выдает ошибку:
    "ARToolkitPlugin' failed to load because module 'ARToolkitPlugin' could not be found. Please ensure the plugin is properly installed, otherwise consider disabling the plugin for this project."
    Возможно плагин не скомпилировался и не запаковался? Не могу пока понять в чем дело.
    Буду благодарен за помощь!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast