[Architecture Visualization Experiment]

Hi everyone,

NEW UPD

NEW UPDATE

Hi everybody,

Using UE4 for Architecture Visualization would never been a bad choice. I’m having a great time using UE4 not only for Architecture Visualization but also so much more than that. Here is a short video as a quick recap of what I’ve done with UE4 so far. Thanks Epic Games and all people on the forum have provided a great help to me. And now, please enjoy!!!

===================================================== OLD POST

In this topic, i will try to experiment with UE4 for Architecture Visualization, i will show my work and problems that occur along the way. Hope you guys can help me out :).
Here is what I started with:

As you can see, there are some problems that I am encountering:

• a dark area in the right corner of the room
  • glowing white edges on the windows border

Here is the settings:

Looks to me (I’m no pro though) like most of your problems are coming from your lightmaps, would you be able to post a picture of them? Your walls shouldn’t be that varied, especially at 1024 lightmap resolution.

take a look at Lightmap Density, and how ablout your lightmap res for a wall?

Is it a Sketchup model?

Does your walls/ceilling/floor have thickness? no thickness = light leaking.

You can put blocking volumes (unreal brushes) to block light if you don’t want to go back to max/blender.

Another problem is that your bed seems to be floating in mid air :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway, take a look at the individual lightmap resolution of your walls in the static mesh editor, my guess is that its at a low default value

Or sometimes a simple typo could results in an invalid lightmap resolution on one of the meshes!!!

Thank you for all your replies, I was busy so Im sorry for the late reply.

All walls are made with BSP with Lightmap Res set to 4.

@James_Gallagher: Here is one of the lightmap:

@RI3DVIZL: No sir, this is from the Architecture Interior from Evermotions.

@Sandermer: haha thanks, I was in the importing process so … I have not done it, sorry :).

@: Im sorry, I dont really get your comment. What do you mean by simple typo? Could you please explain :)?

Actually this problem had been worse, but when I tweak the Indirect Illumination Occlusion Fraction down to 0.2, the black gradient reduces. When that Indirect Illumination Occlusion Fraction was set to 1, everything was darken. So I think it has something to do with th AO parameters.

That lightmap seems to be really low res. I don’t know if it works the same for BSP as for regular meshes (probably not, since the resolution values don’t seem to correspond), but I would guess that some multiplier is used, so 4 might correspond to 256 for instance. For that room, I would probably use a 1024 lightmap, or even higher if I wanted excellent quality.

You should make your walls with static meshes…bsp aren’t as great…it’s usually just used to block out levels. Bsp resolution works the other way, the lower the value the better… try with 2. But you should really do your geometry in an external software next time!!!

by typo I meant a typing error :slight_smile:

it’s evermotion scene from Archinteriors vol. 35. I tried this scene and all you have to do is increasing ligtmap resolutions (walls and floor 2048, bed and curtain 1024, others are 512). It really works.

http://www.evermotion.org/modelshop/show_product/scene-01-archinteriors-vol-35/11614/0/0/0

I tried another scene from Evermotion vol 35. I used same resolution principles. I added lots of objects into scene. It’s not finished work but increasing lightmap resolution is the key point.

Here is original file link : http://www.evermotion.org/modelshop/show_product/scene-09-archinteriors-vol-35/11622/0/0/

Here is my unreal engine 4.9 results:

For ArchVis BSP is not the most ideal construction material.

Here is an experiment in construction I did using the realistic rendering sample.

A bit of a preamble at the beginning as I do presentations in video blog format as part of our community effort to share info of interest.

The objective of the exercise was to change the construction of the room but use the same settings as presented in the off the shelf sample.

The result though is construction plays a large role as to lighting behavior and lighting behavior becomes as predictable as to construction techniques used in more advance rendering engines like mental ray or V-ray.

Hi everyone,

I tried to follow this tut for simulating Area Light: Simulating Area Lights in UE4 - Unreal Engine

But i could not get any bounce light from the bounce card.

990d3b15d90ae5c694cfb446e32b26c00e3c9444.jpeg

98a1cfb8026649a7d101f9bc4f11a6ba575bb236.jpeg

This is my lightmass setting

8dc5748e81cfeaf76bf9a7116b9575d4b026ecce.jpeg

I also had the same issues where no lighting was bouncing…I added the skylight ( value almost at zero ) everything worked out properly

We need emissive geometry that casts light into the scene at a good intensity and shadows so that we don’t have to use this hack.

Thanks for your replies. I dont know what happen, the bounce light works for me now. But it leads to another problem. It seesm that the shadow of the bounced light are not acting properly. Anyone knows what causing this problem?

Btw, the black panels are the LCDs.

a little update on my project

Hi everyone,

Is this a AO problem? The AO between the wall and the ceiling are different.

Hi everyone,

I tried to find a solution for to fix this light bleeding problem but im getting no where.

b7341b7977e0c7f571ac4aa1110f945e1c8a5315.jpeg

Have a separate mesh for the ceiling of this room. If you really want to avoid that add some edges where it meets with the walls and in the lightmap UVs make sure to separate them, so the light doesn’t leak from one UV island to the other.