Creating a new Project then what?

Hi guys. How’s going?

I want to know about your workflow in game development. I mean, you create a new project on UE4 then what? You delete the default scenario then create one by your own? You reuse the default one and just apply the textures then you create the rest of the game?

What I’m searching about is simple: what’s the first step to create a game on UE4? You create the scripts, you put your protagonist into the scene? What’s the first big deal? Or even better, what’s your first big deal?

The proposal of this thread is to search a way better than mine to get things done.

The first thing is planning. Sit down, Write what you want to accomplish. Design in other words. Then the next step is developing, Finding the crew to make your game come true. Coders, Artists etc. The last piece is bringing them all to together and managing a team of individuals to get this project ready for release. Doing tests over tests, Wasting countless hours into figuring out issues that came up because of your new patch :stuck_out_tongue:

But the most crucial thing i was taught is that when you develop a game, Don’t do it for profit alone. Do it for people. Something that others will have fun with, Dark souls 2 does that in it’s own way with countless deaths. Infamous does that with all those powers, Graphics and some really nice story. And so forth.

I’m not a developer-kid trying to create the next big thing, DieByZer0. What I’m asking about isn’t trivial at all: in UE4’s point of view, what’s the first thing that a developer have to do?

That sounds more clear then. Make a new project, Empty or use the example assets. Epic gave permissions to use them after all.

So yea any of those options you mentioned initially are viable. Hope that’s what you asked.

PS: The first big deal is establishing a base code to your “game mode”, Is it mmo, FPS, a side scroller. Then the next would be evolving it and getting assets. For me at least.

I think what is trying to say is (and correct me if im wrong) what is the work flow that one should adopt to development. and the short of it is there isnt a one size fits all set of guidlines to follow. sure there are some best practices when it comes to specifics but an overall workflow is best created based off of your(and your teams) strengths and weaknesses. but no one size fits all approach…

What is your skillset chief?

Thank you for your explanation. Now I can understand some basics of game development.

Yes, your thought about my need is right. But, what you’re trying to say is: there’s not a pattern to follow to develop a game, right?

About my skillset: in the current stage I’m good with web development. I can model some objets in Maya and that’s all. With Unreal Engine, just basics as well. I was questioning about the workflow just to know if I’m doing nothing wrong.

To explain a little further, let me exemplify: on web development, my workflow is straight and simple: first you sketch the customer’s or yours’ need. After this, I design some prototypes (three generally) on Photoshop and based on the approved one, I finally code.

When I’m coding, the flow is a little more complex: first, the front-end (HTML and CSS just then JavaScript); then, finally, the back-end if necessary (starting with the database design, then the database coding and finally the application itself powered by C#, Ruby on Rails or PHP).

So, as you can see, there’s a pattern to follow in my case. Actually, in my honest opinion, that’s the best way to give life to a web site or application.

i understand what your saying… when getting into something new its kinda frustrating not knowing where to start. So lets start here… because ones flow may not be best for someone elses… my project is an rpg/adventure game. we break it down into whats needed, what we know, and what we need to learn… for us we chose to start with terrain.

do you have a game type in mind?

You already have an idea from what you already do. Anything you create, whether it is a webpage, an application, or a game, you first follow the steps that you are already following

Got it. Yes, I have. Actually, there are two projects that I want to achieve. The first one is a simple FPS without weapons - just point and click like Amnesia: The Dark Descent; The second one is simpler in my opinion: a side-scrolling game. I really do not know where to start. Suggestions?

“You first follow the steps you are already following”. Ok, but in game development there aren’t steps that I’m already follows. I need to be enlightened.

Coming from a web dev background you can follow the same procedures:

• Put the whole game on paper
  • Separate it into modules
  • Investigate best methods used in games
  • Art comes last

What do you mean with “art”? Web front-end prototyping is basically design.

And you told: “- Investigate best methods used in games”, but and for those who don’t know which are “the best methods used in games”? That’s why I’m asking for people’s opinions.

By Art I mean the final textures, sounds, animations, effects etc.

Let’s say you have in mind a simple game like Gold Miner, the game has Levels, Timer, Items, Shop keeper etc
If your game has 200 levels, it would be painful to design all levels by hand, one approach is to position characters, items, level meshes etc by coordinates.

Well in my opinion you should work on the game design first , write down the gameplay , levels you have in mind and all the details you can think of .

Write game desing documents is too boring… try this:

-Basic Camera, Controls and player.
-Basic core player actions (jump, shoot, …)
-White box level.
-Play and feel and Tweak

-Basic I.A enemys and traps.
-More advanced white box level.
-Play and feel and Tweak

When you come here let my know…

Ok, but, in which sequence I have to design those things? First the levels, then the characters and finally position the characters into the levels?

I always write down the concept before get things done. In other words, I’ve my game designed already, but I don’t know how to structure it. First I have to design the characters then design the levels and finally position characters into the levels? You know, I’m missing a right workflow.

It will take a long time to conclude everything you said. By the way, firstly I have to design things just then make things interacting with each other?

Imo It is better desing step by step, so you can look more faster possible how work and feel. Because many think can work in the paper but not in the game.

You’re saying that I should to work more, write less? Something like this?

(If so, I agree a little with you. The days I planned less and did more was when I made more money in my life.)

yes. Unreal4 come with basic games that save time. Only pick up one.

This has been the best start for me. Once you know the perspective you wish to play the game from, choose one of UE4’s templates. If you choose a blueprint version, you can make easier programming changes on the fly. After you conceptualize your levels, start blocking them out using BSP (Geometry). It gives you a playable surface and allows you to create your worlds and assets scaled to proper proportions. Once you have one playable level semi-structured (blocked out using BSP, place holders, and work lighting), work on simple game mode script. Knowing what assets you need is important because it allows you to create place holders using BSP that are proportionate. Most important thing most people will tell you is workflow is not the same for everyone. It’s not always the same for one team. Choose your workflow based on the project…

You can’t start a serious project before mastering the tools. Doing so is a shot on your own foot.