UE4.9.1 & Oculus runtime 0.7

Hiyo,

Have looked into this a bit but I haven’t found a coherent response yet. Doesn’t help that it’s clearly something that’s changing. BUT:

Does UE4.9.1 work well with Oculus runtime 0.7? I am developing an experience for Windows 8.1 64bit; on two machines (one with Nvidia 980, one with AMD R9 290).

Have they integrated the runtime into 4.9.1? Will I get any performance boost if I update runtime to 0.7? I am currently working under runtime 0.6, but wondering if it would be beneficial to updaaaaate.

Thanks

Well according to the 4.9.1 release notes they have indeed added 0.7 support:

Unfortunately i haven’t got time to test it yet. Also i haven’t seen any comments from other people regarding performance, would be nice to know.

For my money 4.7.6 with the 0.6.0.1 sdk using either 0.6.01 or 0.7.0.0 rutime seems to be the best performer ATM.
4.9 not bad its just not as fast as 4.7.6. How much of thats is down to the engine as opposed to the plugin/sdk is anyones guess.

The Oculus branch of 4.9 include’s the hidden area mesh which you can turn on/off using “vr.hiddenareamesh = x”.
But im not seeing a noticable difference in performance with it on or off.

about 1-2% performace increase at a screeen percentage of between 100-130%. And 5% with a screen percentage of 180%.
It does seem to consistantly shave 0.01ms of the prepass in my tests.
It makes sense that the performance difference would increase with rendertarget size but I was hoping to see more of a difference at more conservative sizes. considering the amount of pixels that are not now being rendered.

single eye texture pre-distortion, Green is unrendered pixels.

Im guessing that shader complexity is a factor as well maybe?

yeah this made things worse for me, too. way more jitter. :frowning: i had to put hmd pd at like .5 for it to work…down from .8. does anyone know what’s up with qahead? is that turned on automatically? also…does anyone know where we can find the list of hmd commands? i always just find random ones in the forums.

I am also interested in more info about the commands and new options of the 0.7 runtime.
And I am also getting lower framerates with 4.9 in VR.

good discussion on the topic here: UE4.9.1 does not recognise Rift with 0.6.0.1, and has game breaking performance with 0.7.0.0 - VR and AR Development - Unreal Engine Forums

seems like for me i narrowed it down to shadows. i can have everything on high settings, i can have hmd sp at 130 and pd at 1, bloom, AO, etc…I can have all that. As soon as I put shadows above anything other than the lowest setting in the scalability settings I get jitter and around 40FPS. In previous versions I could have a little bit of shadow. anyone else notice this?

That’s interesting, have you tested with other runtime versions or UE4 versions to see if the problem is specific to 4.9.1?

It certainly isn’t shadows for me - one of my projects has fully baked lighting and no dynamic shadows at all, and another has stationary lighting. Both seem to suffer the same or similar drop in performance.

@jeremycouillard

Yep, I also just recently noticed getting worse performance on UE4.9+Oc0.7.0. I have some scenes that were running fine before but now I have to turn off my one single shadow casting spotlight to get 75fps, when before the upgrade it was running fine. It is a simple scene with just some static meshes and simple shaders. Sames thing happened for some other scenes I had.

Cheers