4.9 Building Android Client Allocation Issue

Question on AnswerHub: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/299035/not-enough-space-ue4client-armv7-es2so.html

I’m building the Development Client for Android for UE 4.9 but I’m running into an allocation issue when it’s creating the native library.

18>C:/NVPACK/android-ndk-r9c/toolchains/arm-linux-androideabi-4.8/prebuilt/windows/lib/gcc/arm-linux-androideabi/4.8/../../../../arm-linux-androideabi/bin/ld.exe : fatal error : C:/UnrealEngine/UnrealEngine_4_9/Engine/Binaries/Android/UE4Client-armv7-es2.so: mmap: failed to allocate 679894136 bytes for output file: Not enough space
18>clang++.exe : error : linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Is there a setting that I could use to increase the limit? The unstripped native library is under 1GB. Has anyone else run into this issue? I’m building from the unmodified 4.9 source. Development Editor builds successfully. Development Client fails to build.

Looks like it’s still using NDK 9c. I’ll try upgrading. C:/NVPACK/android-ndk-r9c. I missed updating the ANDROID_NDK_ROOT environment variable.

Thanks,

~Tim Graupmann

I had to edit all my ANDROID_NDK_ROOT environment variables to point to the newer Android NDK and that fixed the compile issue.

I set the value to the folder for android-ndk-r10e.

Yes, the original TADP was a 32-bit toolchain so ld.exe ran out of process space. It is one of the reasons we moved to AndroidWorks; it has 64-bit tools.

I’ve been looking forward to upgrading TADP. The version that shipped with the Unreal Engine editor has some Visual Studio template issues fixed in the newer versions.