User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [FREE] Learning Resources by eXi | currently offline | getting overhaul

Mythic

Red face [FREE] Learning Resources by eXi | currently offline | getting overhaul

ALL LINKS ARE CURRENTLY DEAD DUE TO MOVING SERVER AND DOMAIN.
    I WILL UPDATE ALL LINKS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
    ALL PROJECTS (despite the traffic system) WILL BE RECREATED FOR 4.13, 4.14 AND 4.15.
    THIS TAKES TIME SO PLACE BE PATIENT.

Overall changelist:

22.04.2016 - Updated all supported Projects to 4.11!
    05.02.2016 - Added new BP Only and Free Field of View 2D Top Down project to the list of projects.
    06.12.2015 - Added 4.10 Versions for all project (except the Traffic System)
    02.10.2015 - Added new BP Only and Free Grid Movement project to the list of projects.
    30.09.2015 - Added new BP Only and Free Grid-lile Placing System Project to the list of projects.
    11.09.2015 - Added Wiki Link to Multiplayer Example for a C++ Version (very basic) of the Session System to get Joining, Searching etc running in C++
    06.09.2015 - Added new BP Only and Free References and Blueprint Interaction Project to the list of projects.
    02.09.2015 - Added new BP Only and Free Multiplayer Example Project to the list of projects.

Hey there party people,

this thread should showcase a collection of projects, which i either made for you to learn something or which i abandoned because i lost
    the interest in it. They will all be FREE to download for you!

All projects will be released under MIT license!

Like always, i keep the Blueprints very organized and commented. If you have questions regarding the setup, feel free to ask me.
    I will also try to keep them updated with the new Unreal Engine Updates (currently 4.10).

Current project:

I'm currently not working on any project, but i gather very small ideas like "Typewriting Text Animation Fake", "Sprites turn to Camera" and all that stuff, so stay tuned!

Project list from newest to oldest:

Project Name: Field of View 2D Top Down

Description:
    A small project that shows how to handle a Field of View in 2D Top Down and representing
    it with the "ProceduralMeshComponent". So the View Field actually deforms.

The Project has a TestMap on which you can play a small "Find all invisible Targets" game.
    They will get visible as soon as you get them into your Field of View.

Project Status:
    Finished. Nothing will be added.

Current known Bugs:
    Setting the Resolution of the Mesh too low will cause problems when having 2 edges of 2 different obstacles between two LineTraces.
    A high enough Resolution will make i pretty much impossible to get that case.

Project Versions:
    Download Links:

Project Media:
    The Video shows the Mesh in action. The final project looks a bit different though.

Project Name: Grid Movement

Description:
    Small project to showcase how to create Grid Movement.

It also comes with a really small Random Grid Map (it's really nothing special).

So if you didn't know how to do this by now, here you go. As always, there may be different
    ways to achieve this, but that's my way (:

Project Status:

Current known Bugs: None

Project Versions:
    Download Links:

Project Media:

Project Name: Grid-like Placing System

Description:
    Small project to showcase how to create a grid-like placing system.

This system was originally made for Kitatus. Make sure to visit his website:

kitatus.co.uk and his forum post: Kitatus' Free Books, Projects and Tutorials!

The whole logic is placed into a Component that you can add to your Controller in your own Project
    plus adding all the other stuff into it. Make sure to study the project before attempting to use it in
    your own Project, so you don't run into confusing errors.

Project Status:

Project Versions:
    Download Links:

Project Media:

Project Name: References and Blueprint Interaction

Description:
    Small project to showcase different methods on interacting with Actors in your Scene.
    Showing how to use Blueprint Interfaces to interact with different Actors that don't
    share a parent_Class and also LineTraces + Overlaps.
    Will contain tutorial driven by UMG to explain what is happening etc.

Project Status:
    Finished in version 1.0. Maybe i will add more stuff to it by the time, but currently it is "final"!

Project Versions:
    Download Links:

Project Media:

Project Name: Ball-Bump

Description:
    Small project to showcase a Multiplayer Setup with a Menu and a small Game.
    It also shows how to pass parameters to your new GameMode or save the PlayerName correctly.
    And it will show how to create a GameState setup to handle the specific states of your Game better.

Project Status:
    Finished, but could contain bugs! Please tell me about them and i may try to fix them!

Additional Infos:
    Link to a C++ Version of the Session System to Create, Find, Join and Destroy Sessions in C++. Very Basic
    to show how to get started. Can be extended since it is C++ to match the ShooterGame or even bigger Systems.
    The Ball-Bump Project is NOT using this code. It is using Epics exposed Blueprint functions! So no C++ code in this Project.
    This additional Info is just for people who want to do the same thing in C++!
    How To Use Sessions In C++ Wiki Entry

Project Versions:
    Download Links:

Project Media:

Click me for Youtube Video!

Project Name: Traffic System

Description:
    An incomplete Traffic System which should help creating Street nodes that are used to let AIs find routes to specific marked nodes,
    similar to Grand Theft Auto.

Project Status:
    Never finished. This is an abandoned project that i never finished. Feel free to have a look at it and rip apart what is useful for you!

Project Versions:
    Download Links:

Project Media:

Click me for Youtube Video!

I hope you like that and i see a lot of good critique, i will try to continue this and push out some more fun project (may a really small Pokemon Clone!)

Stay awesome guys and girls! (:
    Last edited by eXi; 02-13-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    Open for contracted work | Blueprints | UE4++/C++ | Training | VR | My Website

My UE4 Blog/Page with Free Learning Projects and more: Hit me for ALL the things!

BP Multiplayer Lobby System: [Released] Support Thread! | BP Multiplayer Crafting System: [Released] Support Thread!

Champion

I love this eXi thanks you!
    Appreciated ^^
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Samaritan
    That's super cool, thank you for the effort!
    Viele Grüße von Josch von MB

Mythic

I released the Multiplayer Project. You can find the updated Video and the Download link for the 4.8 Version in the main post.
    The 4.9 update will follow later, since i need some time now for other stuff!

If you have questions, problems or find any bug, please let me know so i can fix them!

Quote Originally Posted by Hevedy View Post
    I love this eXi thanks you!
    Appreciated ^^
    (: You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Hackmet View Post
    That's super cool, thank you for the effort!
    Viele Grüße von Josch von MB
    Ah i'm doing this to learn stuff myself and it's fun to help people, you are welcome!
    Grüße zurück! (:

My UE4 Blog/Page with Free Learning Projects and more: Hit me for ALL the things!

BP Multiplayer Lobby System: [Released] Support Thread! | BP Multiplayer Crafting System: [Released] Support Thread!

Fantastic stuff Cedric! Ill be sure to download it and check it out.

Im sure this will help alot of new comers to Unreal Engine 4 for a long time to come.

Well done.
    Marketplace Packages

UnrealSlackers is a Community driven group of likeminded people here to discuss UE4! Join UnrealSlackers on Discord!

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsD View Post
    Fantastic stuff Cedric! Ill be sure to download it and check it out.

Im sure this will help alot of new comers to Unreal Engine 4 for a long time to come.

Well done.
    (: Thanks, if you find any bugs, just tell me. Or if i missed something out that you don't understand in the code!

thanks

Very good, I've been struggling with creating game modes properly for a while and failing, this is the only multiplayer blueprint game mode demo I've seen! Ill have a good look at it and see if it will help. Cheers

Mythic

I moved the discussion with EniGmaa into a new thread:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?83111-Multiplayer-Questions-(Lobby-Dedicated-Server)

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheese Dragon View Post
    Very good, I've been struggling with creating game modes properly for a while and failing, this is the only multiplayer blueprint game mode demo I've seen! Ill have a good look at it and see if it will help. Cheers
    You can also use the "Multiplayer Shootout" to have a second reference. It is available in the Learning Tab of the Unreal Launcher.
    I don't really use multiple GameModes here. I just use one, but i have a pretty cool setup for the GameState class that works itself
    through setting up the game with multiple steps and waits for all Players to be connected before starting.
    Last edited by eXi; 09-04-2015 at 07:55 AM.

This is very nice of you eXi (I see that you love multiplayer stuff )

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Blue man View Post
    This is very nice of you eXi (I see that you love multiplayer stuff )
    Ha, thanks (: Yeah, we all love playing with friends, so it might be the most fun stuff to actually create multiplayer games!
    Next project here is SinglePlayer though!

Added a new sneakpeak video with information to the project list (:
    Last edited by eXi; 09-05-2015 at 07:26 PM.

Mythic

Updated video showcasing the current status of the next Project:

Mythic

Hey there, i finished version 1.0 of the reference project. For now i leave it at this state. I added an update video to the project in the main post,
    as well as the 4.8 download. 4.9 will come when 4.9.1 is released. I want to avoid bugs at the moment and since it is only for learning, you can easily
    just open it in 4.8 and look into it (:

Beware, the download is 182MB big, because of actual models and texture used.

I specially thank for the Multiplayer one Exi. The moment I start fiddling with networking, I will surely check out the things you have done.

I would like to know though, the networking example is only blueprints right? =)
    Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleon View Post
    I specially thank for the Multiplayer one Exi. The moment I start fiddling with networking, I will surely check out the things you have done.

I would like to know though, the networking example is only blueprints right? =)
    Yes, all the examples above are only Blueprint. The Replication part can be copied 1:1 to C++. So someone with C++
    experience shouldn't have a problem creating replicated variables or RPCs that RunOnServer.
    There are also examples on how to do that in the Wiki and the Docs!

For the Session part, that is way more complex in C++, i already made a Wiki entry with the MOST basic setup to get Sessions
    running in C++ to join and find Games!

Here is the link: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/How_To_Use_Sessions_In_C%2B%2B

Quote Originally Posted by eXi View Post
    Yes, all the examples above are only Blueprint. The Replication part can be copied 1:1 to C++. So someone with C++
    experience shouldn't have a problem creating replicated variables or RPCs that RunOnServer.
    There are also examples on how to do that in the Wiki and the Docs!

For the Session part, that is way more complex in C++, i already made a Wiki entry with the MOST basic setup to get Sessions
    running in C++ to join and find Games!

Here is the link: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/How_To_Use_Sessions_In_C%2B%2B
    Thanks for response Mr eXi.

So what I understand is, the project is full BPs but got C++ stuff in it that we can call as Blueprints to start sessions etc?

Sorry for reconfirmation! It's just that I will base my game upon the project of yours sooner or later so I need the all info I can get. ^_^

PS: In wiki it says the project is for 4.7, yet in this post it says for 4.8 . If I want to do what you did at 4.7 for my own client, will it still work after 4.7? o_O
    Last edited by Achilleon; 09-11-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Mythic

Thanks for response Mr eXi.

So what I understand is, the project is full BPs but got C++ stuff in it that we can call as Blueprints to start sessions etc?

Sorry for reconfirmation! It's just that I will base my game upon the project of yours sooner or later so I need the all info I can get. ^_^

PS: In wiki it says the project is for 4.7, yet in this post it says for 4.8 . If I want to do what you did at 4.7 for my own client, will it still work after 4.7? o_O
    Noooo, wait!

The Project is pure Blueprints. There is no extra C++ stuff. Epic already exposed the Session System to Blueprints, but in a limited way. You can create Lan and Online Sessions
    find them (Online only with a Subsystem like Steam. Otherwise direct connection with IP) and Join them. But that's all. No extra Settings.
    But there is a Plugin on the forums to extend the Nodes. So i might not be necessary to dive into C++ at all for this!

The C++ Wiki code i added is only an extra if you want to do the same in C++. These 2 are not connected to each other! (:

Also you might use all of this in 4.9. I just did not make it for 4.9, because there are a lot of bugs currently that i didn't want to run into.
    I will try updating them with 4.9.1.

The Wiki Code is tested for 4.7, but it should also work for 4.8 and 4.9. If you only use Blueprints, just ignore the Wiki Code.

PS: I rewrote the additional info text so no one gets confused (at least i hope that fixes it).
    Last edited by eXi; 09-11-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Noooo, wait!

The Project is pure Blueprints. There is no extra C++ stuff. Epic already exposed the Session System to Blueprints, but in a limited way. You can create Lan and Online Sessions
    find them (Online only with a Subsystem like Steam. Otherwise direct connection with IP) and Join them. But that's all. No extra Settings.
    But there is a Plugin on the forums to extend the Nodes. So i might not be necessary to dive into C++ at all for this!

The C++ Wiki code i added is only an extra if you want to do the same in C++. These 2 are not connected to each other! (:

Also you might use all of this in 4.9. I just did not make it for 4.9, because there are a lot of bugs currently that i didn't want to run into.
    I will try updating them with 4.9.1.

The Wiki Code is tested for 4.7, but it should also work for 4.8 and 4.9. If you only use Blueprints, just ignore the Wiki Code.

PS: I rewrote the additional info text so no one gets confused (at least i hope that fixes it).
    Yeeeey! Thank you for clarification. ^^

I will check that plugin, search for it around. All great news Exi. ^_^

Mythic

(: You are welcome!

you are awsome

Mr Exi. I got a terribly casual question.

You say that Epic exposed some multiplayer stuff to BP but not all. My question is, why is it have to be that way? Why do we need someone to make a plugin to expose stuff, or do it ourselves?

Am I missing something very dangerous about exposing? o_O

Mythic

Mr Exi. I got a terribly casual question.

You say that Epic exposed some multiplayer stuff to BP but not all. My question is, why is it have to be that way? Why do we need someone to make a plugin to expose stuff, or do it ourselves?

Am I missing something very dangerous about exposing? o_O
    Ehm, that's not so easy to answer for me. Blueprints aren't directly C++, although they are C++ Childclasses. Exposing has limits currently. If you look up the Blueprint Nodes for Sessions as C++ code, you will see that they need to do a lot of stuff
    in the background that you aren't seeing when using the nodes.
    You can see how to do the Sessions in C++ if you follow my Wiki link in the main post. It's a bit more stuff you need to do and they need to pack that into a few single nodes that Blueprints can use.
    You can't just expose any function that is available in C++ to Blueprints. There are a lot of key element in C++ that Blueprints don't support. It's all some kind of workaround to make it available for BPs.

I haven't looked into the "C++ to BP" conversion yet, but i know that you can't expose every variable type that you have in C++. (that's just one example). The Session that you pass in Blueprints
    can't be accessed like the ones in C++ and such stuff.

Ehm, that's not so easy to answer for me. Blueprints aren't directly C++, although they are C++ Childclasses. Exposing has limits currently. If you look up the Blueprint Nodes for Sessions as C++ code, you will see that they need to do a lot of stuff
    You can see how to do the Sessions in C++ if you follow my Wiki link in the main post. It's a bit more stuff you need to do and they need to pack that into a few single nodes that Blueprints can use.
    You can't just expose any function that is available in C++ to Blueprints. There are a lot of key element in C++ that Blueprints don't support. It's all some kind of workaround to make it available for BPs.

I haven't looked into the "C++ to BP" conversion yet, but i know that you can't expose every variable type that you have in C++. (that's just one example). The Session that you pass in Blueprints
    Thank you for the explanation Mr eXi. It seems I need to dwelve into C++ eventually.

That isn't true though, if you make the BP interface for the variable type then it can be fully accessible with BP. Its just that not everything SHOULD be available to BP as it is so much slower than c++, generally having the interface in BP and the main hard implementation in c++ saves a lot of processing time. Opening up everything to BP would end up with a lot of overuse situations taxing the CPU when it runs through the parser.
    Last edited by mordentral; 09-19-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Oh yes this is great work! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, please, have more to come!

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by mordentral View Post
    That isn't true though, if you make the BP interface for the variable type then it can be fully accessible with BP. Its just that not everything SHOULD be available to BP as it is so much slower than c++, generally having the interface in BP and the main hard implementation in c++ saves a lot of processing time. Opening up everything to BP would end up with a lot of overuse situations taxing the CPU when it runs through the parser.
    Hm ok, but this doesn't really explain why they don't add a variable for the ServerName and other things. I don't think a ServerName in the Create Session Node would cause any more harm.

Let's just wait for the, maybe, updated version of Blueprints which then will have the same processing time as c++.

EDIT: I'm not that into all the things that i can do between C++ and Blueprints. Didn't know it would be that easy to create the interface for a new variable type. Cool to know! (:
    Last edited by eXi; 09-20-2015 at 07:43 AM.

Mythic

Hey there,

added a new small project to showcase how to create a grid-like placing system.

This system was originally made for Kitatus. Make sure to visit his website:

kitatus.co.uk and his forum post: Kitatus' Free Books, Projects and Tutorials!

The whole logic is placed into a Component that you can add to your Controller in your own Project
    plus adding all the other stuff into it. Make sure to study the project before attempting to use it in
    your own Project, so you don't run into confusing errors.

Download link in the first post.

Thanks for sharing this stuff eXI . And StevenK for pointing it out to me.
    Last edited by Marco JAG Costa; 09-30-2015 at 06:56 AM.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by Marco JAG Costa View Post
    Thanks for sharing this stuff eXI . And StevenK for pointing it out to me.
    (: You are welcome.

Mythic

Added a new free Project "Grid Movement" to the list (: I hope someone finds it useful!

Hi Exi,

First off thanks so much for the multiplayer game state project, it's fantastic and I'm learning a lot implementing into my project. However I may have found a bug, though more likely it's me not understanding your code. In your AMainPlayerController your Switch on EGameState 'playing' never gets executed. The state is changed in AMainGameState (fancy trick with the timer btw) but if I put an event on the 'playing' node it never gets fired.

Mythic

Just bumping this, so people can see it again (:

This is a great thread eXi. Your Ball Bump example really helped me get to grips with networking implementation, so thanks! .

However, just to let you know in case you weren't aware, the Ball Bump project crashes on launch when packaged in 4.9 or higher.

Name:  9Qyzc7F.png
Views: 6840
Size:  11.6 KB

Thanks again

Mythic

Hey, thanks for letting me know. I updated all project (except the Traffic System) to 4.10.
    I had no problems converting and opening them. Please download the new version and try it out (:

Also tell me if any link is broken!

The Traffic System link is no longer working.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by masterneme View Post
    The Traffic System link is no longer working.
    Uh, i totally forgot the date. Let me reup all downloads in the next hours! Thanks for notifying me!

No problem man, thank you for sharing these projects.

For this kind of stuff you could use Mega, 50GB for free, with encrypted sharing and fast DL speed.

Mythic

Quote Originally Posted by masterneme View Post
    No problem man, thank you for sharing these projects.

For this kind of stuff you could use Mega, 50GB for free, with encrypted sharing and fast DL speed.
    Yeah, using my own Server for that. Just happened that i changed it and forgot that the files are on it.

Currently uploading. Should be all up soon.

Everything is working fine, thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast