UE4 import plugin for Vray model libraries

Hi,

I’m new to Unreal Engine. At the moment I do all my Archviz renders in 3DS max and Vray.

Like everyone in the archviz business I have invested heavily and bought a lot of 3D Vray models (Design Connected etc).
In 3DS max there are scripts that can convert these Vray models to other renderers (like Corona). Materials are converted and the new renderer makes nice images.

So; searching online I found several methods for exporting to 3Ds max to FBX and importing the FBX into UE. Then the FBX should be imported in UE4 and the materials should be build in UE4. This entire process seems very time consuming to me. Especially if you have a large library with hundreds models.

What I’m missing is a plugin suited to import a 3DS max Vray model file from my library AND converts the materials to UE4 materials.
Preferably a “one click” solution where we only have to point out the directory with the 3ds max vray files and let the import plugin do the rest (I know I’m pushing it :wink: )

Maybe it exists and I’ve missed it in my search. Could be. Or perhaps it has already been discussed.
I really believe that such a plugin or import module for UE would be a “game changer” in ArchViz for UE4. Probably Mental Ray and Corona materials should be included as well (though that isn’t important for me).
I don’t know what this should cost but I’m happy to pay for it :slight_smile: Or perhaps Epic is already developing something like this for UE5?

I’d like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks and best regards,
Toni.

It does not exist unfortunately. You have to completely redo materials in UE4 :slight_smile:

What a dream come true if there exits a plugin which can convert Vray material into unreal engine material node but as @heartlessphil said It does not exits as of now.

Is there any format that will keep at least Diffuse map while exporting from 3d max/maya? Standard material or something similar?

Thanks for the comments. Nice site & projects btw .
And there isn’t anybody who can build this? If this would exist, it would make the archviz step to unreal a lot easier (and less time consuming)
People spending $600,- on a video cards and hundreds/thousands of dollars for 3D models.
I’d say there is a budget available for such a blueprint / script.

Yes, max standard material. When you import in ue4 you can specify to import texture and material (material just contain the diffuse texture plugged in)

Hi, FBX import will import the diffuse map of a standard material if you set the setting correctly. I use the script below to convert vray materials to standard materials. You still have to spend that extra effort recreating the materials though but the script eases the work a little. Hope it helps

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vraymtlconverter-v2-5

Thank you, this kind of workflow will speed up material creation a little bit…

Thanks for the tip.

talking about workflow, i use 3 scripts to speed up transfer 3ds max to unreal.

1. 3ds Max | Scripts | ScriptSpot : convert vray materials to standard.
  2. SteamRoller | ScriptSpot : Auto unwrap UV for lightmaps
    3a) TS_Tools v1.1: UE4 Mass FBX Exporter v1.1 and UCX Namer v1.0 : Export all models into fbx.
    3b) Modified the TStools slightly so i can copy the entire scene into Unreal without having to reselect the box mesh to the one that i wanted.
  3. redo materials in unreal

Sometimes the customers are more concerned about the speed to produce a visualisation more than the photorealness itself, so a fast workflow is crucial to some in the industry. Was wondering if anyone might have a better or faster workflow out there?

It doesn’t take long to make materials. You can even do a mega master material with tons of parameters and use it in all your projects after that!

With steamroller, unwrapping is not a problem anymore.

The biggest task for me is the modelling actually! hehe

hi there,
what are your steps and settings at 2) ?
just curious

i assume you re using high poly assets in 3ds max, do you optimize these for ue4?

edit:
dont want to hijack this thread any further. thanks for your reply hardy

Personally I just flatten map everything with 0.02 spacing. works well so far. They’re high poly assets usually made for vray too!

@hardyhutajaya

Exactly, I’m using same workflow…

Is it possible to make your own starting assets for new project? Like meshes, materials, textures in one custom library? I know that copying to project folder can solve some of it, but i have problems with linking meshes with textures, paths are lost very often…

Howdy Meme!

I do mostly interior scenes, so far i still have good framerates(>30~80) without optimizing the models. I am currently using a GTX970 with an i7-4790k.

As for the settings. I use these.
ec601dcb476323cb839145c1cc0d2c27ecc59671.jpeg

Hey @the.doctor,

Not sure if i got your question correct, but you can use the migrate function to transfer the assets then the paths and materials will be kept together. :slight_smile:

hey folks. i’m presently working in a max scene that was originally built for v-ray. however - like the others above - i’m going to export the entire scene to unreal.

i’m going through the entire model and optimizing the models as they’re too heavy for unreal - lots of smoothing.

my question. what’s the use/benefit of baking a lightmap per hardyhutajaya’s workflow?

i’m basically giving all my models a unique color id/name - then in unreal, i will gradually build up all my materials procedurally - box-mapping basics.

does anyone have suggestions to my process? :slight_smile: it would be appreciated!

Hi Hardyhutajaya,

i did some test with the TStools a couple of weeks ago, and the biggest problem with this tool ist that it don’t assign the right mesehs in unreal automaticly. Did you managed to solve this by what you wrote in 3b) ? And if so on what level you modified the script ?

chees
Dominic

Hi Dominic,
You can follow the video here to modify the scripts. After that i created an export folder under contents and imported every mesh into that folder. Hope it helps. https://youtube.com/watch?v=iBww9A5FHLo
P.S In this period have you found out any other method to import the scenes ?

Hi Hardy,

thanks for the tutorial, i haven’t had a chance to test it yet.
I didn’t found another way till now, but i was also thinking about editing the script so it will make the import/export easier plus keeps instance meshes. I am not sure how much work you have with your workflow in Unreal. What is the most time consuming thing at the moment ?

cheers
Dominic