Xcode 7 - deploy to iOS device without joining developer program

Hi Epic,

In Xcode7 (beta), it is now possible to deploy to an iPad/iPhone without paying the £99 dev program fee. I’m unfamiliar with the processes involved in iOS development, however as I’ve just got my hands on a shiny new iPhone and a Mac Book Pro I am tempted to port some of my UE4 projects.

I’m not really prepared to pay $99 just for test purposes (I know I can use the emulator) and I am wondering if it would be possible to deploy to my iPhone via UE4 without paying (my development costs are crippling me already).

Is this supported in UE4? & if not are there any plans to add this once Xcode7 is officially released?

Thanks,

ULLS

Hey ULLS,

As long as you have a mobile provision and signing certificate, you should have no problem deploying.

Great, thanks!

I’ve managed to get it deployed on a device now :slight_smile:

Great, let us know if you need any additional help. You can always post a question on AnswerHub too. :slight_smile:

h my God!!! Ulls , Please Share . I’m caught in the process of Compile the project to iOS because I have no now to pay $ 99 .

Thank you so much!

How do you do it guys? Why does my UE4 remind me that my provision’s status is “No Valid Certificate Found” and my certificate’s status is “Expired” even though it says “2016-09-20” under Expires and fails packaging anyway just like when I package without provision?

You’ll still need to pay the $99 to release it in the app store, however you can now deploy to a device for free if you install Xcode7. I don’t recall how I got it working though, I think I simply followed Apples instructions on provisioning a device and it just worked…

From memory, I plugged my device into the mac, opened Xcode7, created a new iOS project (in Xcode7), selected my device from the top bar of Xcode, selected my team and clicked a ‘fix issues’ button that showed up under the team selection…

TBH, Apple don’t make it easy…

**EDIT - It may not be possible at all, I’ve just asked my work’s iOS developer and he has told me that my iPhone has a certificate from the workplace (not from my free developer account) and UE4 probably detected that…

I don’t recall doing anything with certificates though :frowning:

Apologies if I gave anyone false hope, it may be possible but to me iOS development is a confusing mess…**

Okay I kind of know how to deploy it to my iPhone without joining the developers program:

1. package the game in UE4 for iOS, yes it will return failure but this should cook the content for iOS.
  2. generate Xcode project file and open up the .xcodeproject in the UE4 project folder, then it’s like deploying any other Xcode project.

Problem with this is, that it seems I have to package the game every time I switch projects.

I’ll try that, but I’m a bit confused (basically because I’m a noob in iOS/Xcode development)… What happens when you’re already running UE4 editor from Xcode (using a github UEngine which contains a sample UE project)?

Is the “UE.EditorProject” Xcode project equivalent to the bundle ios app that this UE project contains? Or when you say

you are generating another xcode project which it’s really the bundle iOS app?

Does it make any sense? or we’re just talking about the same project and it’s just needed to change the build flags from Development Editor to Developlment depending if you want the editor on the “Mac” or the app on “Device”?

Any advices or recommendations to learn how to launch on iOS devices without joining the iOS Program (and just for testing purposes) would be very appreciated… :confused: